vii

~ D e s m o n d ~

I had taken longer than I planned.

The meeting with the Count had to happen today and as early as possible. That's why I finally made it happen.

The Count is one of the main officials who would vouch for me to marry Serendale's Queen. Even though I'm the king, I won't risk my people's trust in me like that.

They might not accept a spoil of war as their future queen, even though I didn't win her in a proper and fair war.

I had to play my cards safely. No fingers should be raised at me accusing me of betrayal against my people.

I may or may not be a good king, but I surely needed to keep the perfect ruler façade.

By the time I left the Count's place, the sun had set casting a purple hue all over the sky. A beautiful sight indeed.

But what awaited me in my room was more beautiful.

In the beginning, she just annoyed me because of her untouchable royal attitude, but I guess that suited her personality. Now, she intrigued me.

Watching her was fun.

She entertained me like no other.

It was not rage anymore. She had become my entertainment. My sole entertainment.

With my thoughts surrounding her, I reached my castle.

The walk to my room had never been quicker.

I wondered what she had been up to until now.

There were guards outside the room, and an escape from the window would be just a death wish.

Moreover, I had the ultimate family card with me, which controlled her just fine.

I reached my room and knocked gently on the door.

On hearing no response, I tensed a little.

I didn't like that. I don't even remember the last time I was tensed for a human.

I didn't bother knocking anymore, I just opened the door and entered the room.

Everything looked in place. Nothing weird.

Then my eyes traveled to my bed, there I saw her.

She was sleeping, looking so tired that I almost felt bad.

I walked closer to her.

I bent down and lifted my arm. My hand was almost close to her face when her eyes somehow flew open, and she jolted awake.

I retreated my hand and coughed.

She climbed down from the bed in an instant.

"You can sleep if you want," I offered, "I didn't mean to startle you."

She shot a glare towards me, "Acting nice doesn't suit you."

I liked her remark.

I smirked, "Then tell me darling, what suits me?"

She didn't respond to it. Instead, she just looked away.

I stood in front of her, "I asked what suits me then?"

I played with her hair, "Does raven black hair suit me?"

She refused to look at me.

I lifted her jaw and looked into her eyes, "Does hazel brown eyes suit me?"

Taking her lower lip between my fingers, I asked again, "Or does plump cherry lips suit me?"

She shook her head out of my grip, "None, none of it suits you!"

I burst out laughing at her response, "To be honest, I never once regretted taking you in. You're just so fun!"

She pulled at the end of her night gown's long sleeve awkwardly.

I took her hand in mine and pulled her towards the closet.

"This is going to be your new closet. You can bathe and change into clean clothes now."

She just stood there trying to process everything.

"What's taking you so long?" I asked her.

"N-Nothing," she pulled her hand out of mine, "I'll go and change."

"Good." I smiled and sat on my bed. She looked really confused thinking about what the catch was.

"Do you want there to be a catch?" I asked her honestly.

"No," She rushed to the bathroom, grabbing whatever she could.

That was hilarious to watch. She's just too cute...

I didn't believe I just admitted that.

Leaning back on the headboard, I waited for her.

What are you doing to me, Snowflake?