xiv

~ D e s m o n d ~

"Good morning, everyone," I announced as my family was gathered around the dining table for breakfast.

Most of the time, I preferred to eat in my room with my Snowflake but today was different.

Today was the first day after she had officially become my wife.

Today was special.

I looked at my parents, my in-laws, and my brother - them being the only other people.

"Let's start eating," I announced, peering over to my wife who sat beside me.

She looked so cute.

She noticed that I was staring at her, and she quickly glanced away and started eating her food. Gosh.

The breakfast time consisted mainly of me occasionally stealing glances of her and sharing my food with her. I could feel my family looking at me weirdly because of my change in behavior.

"So, my dear son?" My mother started, "When are you giving us a grandchild?"

Her question caught everybody off guard, including me. She was unpredictable that way.

This was a topic I had anticipated, but I didn't expect it this soon.

"Uhm, mother, I won't be giving you a heir." I said smoothly.

She shook her head, "It's okay, you can take your time."

"No no it's not that. I can't give you a child at all. My wife is sterile." I explained to them, earning a few gasps.

Her parents had their head low, and they didn't contribute to the conversation at all. Poor them.

"What?" My mother was at a loss of words, "Then how?"

"Laevinn's child will be the next ruler," I interjected and glanced at my brother. He looked like he wanted to get out of the dining room and run.

"You're sure about that?" My father asked in concern. He was insinuating about the concubines.

"Yes, father, I'll give my complete loyalty to my wife." I grabbed her hand reassuringly.

"But brother, that will only pressurize me to produce a heir," Laevinn spoke for the first time.

"Just take your time and do what you see fit." I nodded at my brother.

He didn't argue after that.

"I have a question, son." My mother glanced at her before turning her attention to me, "Did you know about her condition before the wedding?"

"No," I answered, not liking where this was heading.

"Oh really?" My mom looked surprised, "Then would you have agreed to marry her if you had known before?"

"Absolutely yes!" I glanced at her, "I would always choose her. You know that right, Snowflake?"

She nodded even though her line of sight was on the plate, "Yes."

"Do you love her that much?" Laevinn asked as a smirk formed on his face, and I didn't expect that from him out of all people.

Love?

Did I love her?

Is this what love feels like?

I had never defined my feelings towards her, only knowing that I wanted her every time of the day. Her face was the first thing I wished to see every morning. Her voice was the first thing I wished to hear every morning. She was the only person I wished to see every moment.

Maybe this was love after all.

Maybe I had finally fallen in love.

"Yes," I replied with more confidence as I had finally realized my feelings. I glanced at her as she avoided eye contact.

I was indeed in love with this woman.

The breakfast had passed quickly as one conversation led to the another like that.

I was in my study room examining some important decrees when Laevinn barged into the room.

"Well, someone doesn't know how to knock." I placed the papers on the table.

"And someone doesn't know how to ask for consent." He looked enraged.

That was a first.

"What do you mean by that?" I tilted my head.

"You raped her!" He pointed his finger at me accusingly.

"What?!" I stood up from the chair.

"Yes, you sick freak, you know what you did to her then how can you say love her so much?"

"Laevinn, who told you this?" I tried to control my rising temper.

"Nobody did. I can see it from the way she's badly bruised, and also, she's very jumpy around you. So drop the act, Desmond!" He slammed his hands on the table.

"She's my wife!" I walked towards him, but I didn't plan on hitting him. Yet.

"So what? That doesn't give you the damn right to violate her and use her to fulfill your sick desires." He seethed at me.

"Are you drunk?" I finally caught on. The newfound courage and talkative attitude were the result of liquor, after all.

"That doesn't matter!" He slurred, indicating that he was loaded with alcohol.

I calmed down. My brother was not in his right mind. I'll let this slide.

"Laevinn, you should go now. Take some rest." I talked to him politely.

"Don't do that to her again! I swear you'll regret it! I'll make sure of that!" His legs were wobbly, and he struggled to stand straight.

I sighed, "Why do you care so much?"

"I care, I care because I like her damnit!" His legs finally gave up, and he slumped on the floor while I was frozen, "I had always liked her even before you knew she existed. I had always admired her. I had dreamt of marrying her. You broke my dreams! You took her and ruined her! I would've made her happy. I could've - " I didn't get the chance to hear the rest because he passed out after the grand reveal.

My brother had his eyes on her even before I knew her?

This was so bad. If I had known earlier, then I might've backed out, but I'm glad I wasn't aware.

"Guards! Take him to his room."

I wanted to see her now so I started to walk towards our room.

I wanted her as well.

I was not ready to sacrifice her. I was no hero.

I want her until the day I die.