li

Finally, that day was here.

That day, when Desmond trusted Zaynah. More than himself.

Both of them anxiously walked towards the weapon room, passing by some immobile guards.

After about ten minutes of walking into the dark hallway, Desmond stopped before a huge metallic door, and then, he pulled out a shining silver key from his coat pocket.

This department was off-limits even for the security guards, so only Desmond and Zaynah were the people that were present.

He unlocked the door without a second thought and glanced at her, "Let's go."

She did a great job at masking her crippling anxiety and ultimate intentions, "Okay."

The moment they entered the room, a strong scent of iron engulfed them.

Zaynah marveled at the different kinds of neatly organized weapons while Desmond just stared at her in awe.

"Do you like it here?" He asked as he took her hand in his.

"This place looks so extraordinary," she admitted truthfully.

Even though she had seen weapon rooms back in Serandale, this sight was something else.

"Look around and take one," he motioned her forward.

"Okay," she hesitantly walked around the humongous room.

She touched many weapons and tried to select one, but it was harder than she thought.

Yesternight, she could barely sleep as she kept thinking about all the possibilities that would go in her favor, and also that wouldn't.

No matter how prepared she thought she was, in the end, she was also vulnerable and scared.

As she walked past the different kinds of swords and small knives, a special kind of dagger stood out in her perspective.

She forwarded her shivering hand and touched it. For some reason, she felt a pull towards the metallic thing.

"You chose that one?" Desmond approached her.

"I guess this fits me," she held it tighter in her fist. She slightly waved it in the air to get a feel of it, but then, she noticed that Desmond flinched at that.

She laughed, "Do you not trust me yet?"

He shook his head, "That was an involuntary reaction, I would never doubt you, Snowflake."

She smiled at that, "I'm glad."

'His blind delusions will end up devouring him in a few moments,' she thought bitterly.

She stepped forward and smiled warmly at him, "How much do you trust me?"

To answer her innocent question, he took her hand in which she held the chosen dagger and brought it to his neck with confidence that was never seen before.

The tip of the sharp knife was slightly grazing against his skin.

She masked her scoff with a light chuckle, which he mistook as a positive sign, adding to his deep pit of trust in her.

Within the duration of a mere couple of seconds, she replayed all the unfortunate events that she had to go through from the moment she was dragged into this hellhole.

No matter how much she tried, she couldn't come up with a single justification for his abnormal actions.

Her conscience convinced her that whatever she was about to do was the best decision she could ever make.

That was when she reminisced the very words of Desmond during their first meeting.

'Go for it while you can.'

So, at that moment, she, without hesitation, slashed his throat in a swift motion, catching him off guard.

His eyes widened, and he knelt on the floor, tightly suppressing his bloody neck to prevent the overflow of the thick liquid.

He glanced at her, and she saw the most vulnerable and pitiful side of Desmond.

Even though he was a monster, yet looking into his eyes became a difficult task for her.

For Desmond, the betrayal hurt more than the sharpest dagger.

He stared at her sadly, and before his eyes flashed all the things he had done to her in the past. That was when he realized that it was foolish of him to even think that she had forgiven him.

He had no reason for salvation.

Tears of freedom flowed down her cheek while he wore a smile of pain.

He wasn't angry at her, not at all.

He would've appreciated her game if he could.

He was disappointed in himself for falling right into her trap, but when he saw her wear that accomplished expression, he just felt numb.

At that moment, he awaited death. Because if he didn't perish right then, he didn't trust himself to leave her alone.

He admitted that it was his end and that he couldn't die in any better way. He felt like he was being killed by the most worthy person.

Knowing that his brother would take care of his kingdom made him more at ease.

He could leave peacefully.

He was ready to bear the outcome of his actions.

He had had enough.

By then, the betrayal too didn't hurt. What hurt him the most was the truth that he had ruined a ruler with the most potential and that he couldn't cherish her enough.

Even though he knew that his sins wouldn't be forgiven, he called out to her, "Zaynah."

Her throat constricted as she answered him, "Hm?"

"I had lied," he said in a muffled voice as he struggled to speak with the blood choking him.

She patiently waited for him to finish his sentence.

"I had lied when I said that your tears were more beautiful than your smile."

She looked at him pitifully, and then she realized that she was only human after all.

He looked straight into her eyes with utmost sincerity, "Nothing compares to your smile."

She knelt in front of him and looked at him as he said his final words.

He smiled at her for one last time, "I loved you, Zaynah. I really did."

With blurry eyes, she nodded at him, "You should've loved me differently."

She wished he did so.

It was then that she saw it.

After living with him for such a long time, it was only then that she could see a trace of absolute regret in his eyes.

In no time, Desmond's bloodshot eyes fell droopy, and he fell on the cold floor with a thud.

She leaned towards him and closed his eyes with her hand.

A lone tear fell down her cheek, and she wondered whether it was because of sympathy or because she had taken someone's life.

She chose to believe that it was the latter.

"Rest in peace, Desmond Laxoire."