Chapter 535 - Feel Free To Sue Him Then

The voice was clear and pleasant but cold, shocking everyone present. Everyone suddenly turned around to see Joel, who had returned home at some point, standing outside the crowd. The man, who usually had a smile on his face, had a frosty look at the moment.

Everyone who saw him subconsciously stepped aside and made way for him.

Just like that, Joel took step after step toward Tanya and went up to her. As he stood beside her and held her hand, his attractive fox-like eyes glanced at Jill. Jill’s heart trembled at the sight of him.

But when she thought of how Joel had always shown her mercy in the past, she became bold again. “The Joneses brought Tanya up. By virtue of our kindness in bringing her up, how are we unworthy of it?” The Joneses had brought Tanya up? The woman must have forgotten again how Tanya had survived!

At the Joneses, she survived by eating garbage that the others had left behind. The money that she bought her school textbooks with were all earned by working as a babysitter for the Joneses. The nine-year compulsory education was free of charge. Even the money for her tuition in high school had come from her distributing flyers during summer vacations!

What kind of financial support had they given her?

Joel had decided not to hold it against the Joneses all this time simply because Jill was Tanya’s mother.

No matter how badly she treated Tanya, she was her biological mother. This was a fact that would never change!

He hadn’t made any moves because he was afraid that Tanya would come to regret it in the future. After all, they were mother and daughter related by blood, and Tanya had indeed grown up under her supervision.

Moreover, Tanya initially had Karl to stand up for her, so Joel was more than happy to hide at the back.

Firstly, this gave Karl an opportunity to do something, which would help with him repairing his relationship with Tanya. Secondly, as a junior, it ultimately wasn’t appropriate for him to be too merciless with his elders.

But now that Karl had been imprisoned, if Joel still didn’t step forward, wouldn’t Tanya be bullied to death?

The previous night, when Jill took money from other people, demanded that Joel did what she asked, and then left after saying that, Tanya had already thought it through.

On that night itself, she had already told Joel that she wanted to sever ties with Jill!

Tanya had already made up her mind.

Jill had no boundaries. There was no way Tanya would allow such a shameless parasite to leech off the Smiths!

It was because she had finally made up her mind that Joel stepped forward today.

He didn’t want outsiders to rebuke Tanya and say that she didn’t have a conscience. In that case, he would be the bad guy instead!

He stared straight at Jill and sneered, “What does the fact that you’re Tanya’s mother have to do with the Smiths?!”

The question stunned Jill, and she stood where she was in a daze. She frowned and asked Joel perplexedly, “Tanya is your wife, so that makes me your mother-in-law! How am I unrelated to the Smiths?”

Joel’s eyes suddenly turned cold. “Oh? Sorry, but I’ve always been a cold and heartless man, and I believe there are a lot of people who have said that about me behind my back. They call me the smiley Hades, right?”

Joel and Justin were equally famous in New York, but he wasn’t as fearsome as Justin because he always looked like he was smiling.

However, everyone knew that he was a wolf in sheep’s clothing.