Defend and Protect

I sighed uncomfortably as I crouched down in the grass behind one of the barricades. I held a blaster tightly in my good hand. Which was inconvenient because I could only hold a small blaster in my hand while the villagers around me held large blasters in both hands.

Night had fallen over the planet, their only light source being torches that had been lit around the village. The stars scattered across the sky.

The children were barricaded in the barn where Mando and I had been staying. To keep them safe from the violence.

After a while, I spotted two figures running from out of the tree line. It was Mando and Cara.

Cara and Mando ran towards them and slid behind the barricades. My eyes glanced over at Mando as he slid in beside me. I could hear him panting heavily under his mask from the extensive running.

"This is it. Once that thing steps into the pond, it's goin' down." Cara yelled to the group.

I took a deep breath and kept my eyes trained on the tree line, waiting in anticipation for the AT-ST and the raiders to come and fight.

"Are you Ready?" Mando whispered to me.

"Yeah, I think so. Are you?" I asked in return

"Yeah." Mando replied

I took in a deep breath and glanced over quickly at the side of his silver helmet. I furrowed my brows in concern when I thought of the fight ahead.

"Promise you'll be careful?" I asked.

"I promise." Mando stated, nodding once to me in confirmation. "You be careful too, okay?" He added

"I will be." I replied, turning my head back to face the dark tree line.

A large thudding could now be heard in the distance, the AT-ST was slowly but surely making its way towards the village. I swallowed harshly, trying to keep my fear at bay.

"Weapons ready." Cara called out to them

The thudding continued to grow louder as they sat behind their barricades with their weapons raised. I took a deep breath.

Red, glowing eyes then appeared at the tree line. They ominously moved up and down with the rhythm of the walkers' footsteps. My eyes widened a fraction at the sight.

The machine came crashing out of the trees. It was large and made of metal. It swayed slightly as it walked towards them. But I knew not to be fooled by its haphazard design.

"Just a few more steps." Mando stated quietly.

However, just before the AT-ST stepped foot in the trench they had dug for it. It's foot stopped, hovering just above the body of water. The machine took a step back and halted in its tracks.

"It's stopped." Cara stated in concern, the plan hadn't worked.

They all waited with bated breath as the machine stood still. Sat in deathly silence as no one dared to breathe too loudly.

Then, suddenly, the machine turned on a bright flood light. Aiming it directly at where they were hidden. I flinched as the fluorescent white light hit my eyes, causing me to squint slightly against it.

"Get down. Get down." Mando called out

I ducked down behind the barricades, trying my best to stay out of sight as the machine's bright white light began to scan back and forth in search of anyone. My heart beat rapidly in my chest as I waited for the light to go out again.

Clearly, someone did not heed Mando's instructions. The machine froze, fixated on one point along the wooden barricade.

It then began to fire in that direction, red blaster bolts raining down on them.