Mandalore

I eagerly looked out the window with wide eyes. Just below us was a large planet that had been abandoned long ago. I never thought I would get to see Mandalore, never mind go to the surface of the planet. I could see small flashes of lightning along with massive, swirling storm clouds. Hopefully we won't get caught in one.

Grogu whimpered worriedly as he looked out the window. I gently rubbed his shoulder to try and comfort him.

"It looks scary. I know. But it was once green and beautiful, back when the songs were written. It's Mandalore, the homeworld of our people." Din said to Grogu. The child turned on Din's lap to look up at him.

"Every Mandalorian can trace their roots back to this planet, and the beskar mines deep within. And you know what? I've never been there either. I grew up there. On that moon. Concordia." Din pointed towards a moon in the distance. I felt my heart squeeze with a fond emotion as I looked at the moon that he grew up on. My mind wandered to what he must have been like when he was younger. What sort of trouble he might have gotten into. I couldn't help but smile softly.

"And that's Kalevala where we visited Bo-Katan. It's in the same system." Din said as he pointed to the planet on the map.

Grogu babbled as he listened intently. "A mandalorian has to understand maps and know their way around. That way, you'll never be lost." Din explained as he started to lower the N-1 down towards the surface of Mandalore.

I looked over at Din and smiled softly, finding it sweet that he was teaching Grogu about being a Mandalorian. Din turned his head to look at me for a moment before he looked away again so he could focus on flying.

"What?" He asked in confusion

"What?" I repeated in confusion, asking him why he was questioning me.

"Why are you staring at me like that?" Din asked me

"No reason. I just love you, that's all." I said softly. Din chuckled and shook his head gently in a way that told me he was flustered.

"I love you too, Cyar'ika." Din Said softly as we started to fly through the thick clouds of Mandalore.

The cockpit started to shake as the intense weather threw our ship from side to side. The rain hammered against the ship and thunder rumbled harshly around us. The alarm started to blare loudly as the screens on the dashboard flickered.

I gripped tightly to the side of the ship and Din's thigh as the ship rattled from side to side. I couldn't see a foot in front of us, the only thing I could see outside was the ship's headlight that was illuminating the dark clouds. The lightning would occasionally flash brightly and light up the sky but the visibility was still very limited.

After what felt like an eternity, we emerged from within the thick clouds and the surface of Mandalore came into view. My eyes widened slightly as I took in the destroyed planet.

"Looks like the fusion bombs from the purge disrupted the magnetic field around the planet. From the surface, we won't be able to communicate with anyone out of atmosphere, so we have to be careful. Down here, we're completely cut off from the rest of the galaxy." Din explained to Grogu and I. I nodded as I listened to him.

Din lowered the N-1 down onto the ground and we softly touched down onto the surface of Mandalore. Din cut the engine just after we had touched down and I loosened my grip on his thigh. I turned my head and looked out of the cockpit window in awe.

"I can't believe we're here." I muttered softly as I stared at the desolate planet.

"Me neither." Din replied in a similar tone as he looked out the window.