The aftermath

The blue warped light of hyperspace flashed past my eyes as I stared blankly out the razor crest window.

Mando sat in the pilot's seat with the child on his lap. Every now and then, I would glance over at him, taking in his larger form and staring intently at the back of his helmet. I still couldn't shake the horrible feeling I had felt when I thought I had lost him.

The heartbreak I insured still resonated in my soul and my chest felt numb. Even though I knew that he was okay, he was right there next to me, I still felt myself reliving the moment over and over again.

I exhaled shakily and looked over at the side of Mando's helmet. I found myself worrying about his injury again, I wasn't able to see it myself because of where it was but I hoped that it was okay. My heart wouldn't be able to take it if he suddenly collapsed again.

"Are you okay?" His modulated voice suddenly cut through my thoughts.

"Hmm? Yeah, I'm fine." I lied, trying to act like nothing was wrong.

Mando turned his chair around to face me, his dark T-shaped visor meeting my gaze. "Are you sure?"

I tried to muster up a smile, but even I could tell how fake it must look to him. "Of course." I tried to say in a cheery tone.

"I know todays been a lot. It's okay if you're not okay, you know?" Mando tried to say

I felt my heart squeeze in my chest. I hated having to lie to him. For a good 2 years, we have relied solely on eachother.

I glanced back out the window and settled further back into my chair. "I'm fine."

Mando sighed heavily, but nodded in defeat. He turned his chair back around to face the cockpit window again.

I swallowed and mentally kicked myself. I shouldn't keep my feelings to myself like this. I had no one else to confide in, and who knows how long we are going to be searching for more Jedi.

The mention of the Jedi sent my head spinning even more. I was still unable to wrap my head around the concept of what I am. I hardly knew anything about the Jedi apart from ghost stories and epic tales of adventure.

I sighed and shuffled uncomfortably in my seat, I knew that I would have to fess up to Mando about how I really felt.

Suddenly, Mando grunted and placed his hand hastily on the back of his neck. My heart rate spiked as he groaned in pain.

"Are you okay?" I asked him, quickly standing up from my chair to stand next to him.

"Yeah, I'm fine. It still hurts a bit." Mando said, he then turned away from me and placed the child on the other chair behind him. I watched him silently as he spun back around and looked up at me again.

I moved back to my chair and slumped back down on the seat. I let out a heavy sigh as I prepared myself to speak again.

"You almost died." I muttered

Mando sighed and turned his chair to face me again. "I know. But I didn't, I'm okay."

"I know that. But I still can't shake the feeling that you're gone." I said quietly. My mind jumped to the thought of what it would have been like to come back to the crest without him. The child in my arms and I sobbed in the pilot's chair.

Mando twitched his fingers before he hesitantly reached out and took hold of my hand. "I'm right here. It's okay."

I let out a shaky breath and I squeezed his gloved hand. I clenched my jaw as I felt my throat tightening and my eyes sting with unshed tears.

Mando's other hand reached up and cupped the side of my face. The cool leather felt comforting against my skin. I unconsciously leaned into his touch.

"Mando..." I trailed off, trying to think of what to say

"Din." He stated

I raised my head and looked into his dark visor. "What?"

"You can call me Din." Mando-Din, Said. I smiled gently at him.

"Din...There's something I have to tell you." I said hesitantly.

Din's fingers twitched against my own at the sound of his name. He nodded gently to me. "What is it?"

"The client called me a Jedi...my parents were Jedi too. I think that's why they were killed." I said quietly.

"Jedi?" Din asked in surprise

I nodded. "When the empire came for them, there was an inquisitor. She called my parents Jedi. They fought with these strange weapons."

Din nodded his head as he listened intently. "I'm sorry."

I nodded to him gently and glanced down at my hand that was still holding Din's.

"It makes sense, though. You have the same abilities as the child. Their power must have passed on to you." Din spoke quietly

I nodded in agreement. I then let out a breathy laugh. "Shouldn't that make us enemies, mandalorian?"

Mando let out a small chuckle, which was like music to my ears. "Apparently so, Jedi."

I laughed again at his comment and the two of us fell into a comfortable silence. The silence was quickly interrupted however. The child decided that he wanted attention too and he cooed at us.

Mando and I glanced over at the small, green baby. His ears were perked up as he looked between the two of us.

"Do you think you could find any more Jedi?" Mando suddenly asked me

"No. I don't know how to use my powers. And I know I'm not the right person to take the kid in. He needs a trained Jedi to look after him." I stated.

Mando let out an understanding hum as he gently nodded his head. The two of us sat in silence in the cockpit once again as we traveled through hyperspace to our next location.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The sandy ground crunched under my boots as I slowly walked towards the Blurrg pen in front of Kuiil house. I pulled my vibroblade out of my boot and cut the rope that was holding the gate closed.

The Blurrg looked confused as they wandered out the pen and began to walk away from their old home. They were looking for Kuiil, wanting to know why he wasn't there. It made my heart hurt.

Once the Blurrg had all evicted their old pen, I turned on my heels and walked back towards Din. He was crouched on the ground with the child in his arms. He placed a large stone on top of the pile of stones and stood back up again.

I came to stand next to him. I looked sadly down at the ugnaught's grave, he didn't deserve to have been killed by stormtroopers. He should be here with his Blurrg.

A hand landed gently on my shoulder, I glanced to my left and saw Din looking down at me. He gestured with his head for me to follow him. The two of us along with the child turned away from his grave and began to walk back towards the Razor Crest.

We walked quietly up the ramp, the cooler air of the crest making me sigh in relief. We had spent about an hour burying Kuiil and the heat outside was sweltering.

The door of the crest slowly closed shut behind them, blocking the view of the setting sun behind them and sealing them away from the intense heat.

Din turned to me and handed me the child. "I'll go start the ship."

I nodded to him and he turned away from me. I glanced down at the child who was looking up at me with bright brown eyes. I suddenly found myself wondering what colour Din's eyes were as I heard his footsteps in the cockpit above.

The engine started and the razor crest began to leave the ground, we flew upwards and out of the atmosphere, back into space once again. Leaving Arvala-7 for what could be the last time.

I shook myself out of my thoughts and placed the child down on a crate in the hull of the ship. I handed the small child a tray of food which he happily took in his small grasp. I smiled gently as I watched the kid happily eat his food. I didn't know how long it would take for us to get him back to the Jedi, but we would give our lives to protect him until that day came.