Like my father before me

My hand wrapped around the cold metal rigging of the ladder that led up to the cockpit. I could hear the familiar beep's that softly echoed from within the cockpit as I slowly climbed up. I couldn't help the way my heart squeezed harshly in my chest when I thought about how little time I might have here. How long will it be until I'm in the crest again?

My boots quietly landed on the floor at the top of the ladder. I looked into the cockpit to see that the door was wide open and Din had his chair turned towards the child. Grogu was sitting in his chair with the metal ball in his grasp.

"Grogu." Din spoke up, testing out his name. Grogu's head shot up and he cooed in an alerted way. Din chuckled upon seeing the child's reaction. The sound of his laugh warmed my heart and I couldn't keep the smile off my face.

The child cooed quietly and went back to looking at the metal ball. He had only looked down for a second before Din called his name again.

"Grogu?" He tested it again. The child looked up to him again in curiosity, causing Din to let out another amused chuckle.

He then lent forward and held out his hand to the child. "Give me the ball."

Grogu grunted and slowly moved the ball away, keeping it out of Din's reach. "Grogu, give me the ball." Din asked again.

Grogu looked up at him and then back down at his ball. He was debating whether to give it over or not.

"Come on." Din said gently, trying to persuade him.

Grogu grunted and reluctantly handed the ball over to Din. I smiled and lent my shoulder against the doorframe as I watched them.

Din held the ball up between his pointer finger and thumb. "Okay, here we go. You can have it, just like before."

Grogu held his hand out but it was clear that he was hesitating to take it back, he needed more encouragement. "Grogu, come on. You can have it."

I felt Grogu open himself up to the force as his large ears dropped down in concentration.

"Come on." Din said encouragingly.

The ball flew out of Din's grasp as if it had been called upon by a magnet. It quickly landed back in the child's grasp and I smiled proudly at him.

"Dank Farrik!" Din said in amazement as he slapped his thigh. Grogu suddenly dropped the metal ball onto the chair like it had hurt him.

"Hey, no. I'm not mad at you. You did good. I just...when the nice lady said you had training, I just..." Din immediately tried to comfort the child. He sighed and gently reached forward to pick the ball up, placing it back in the child's hands.

"We're gonna find that place you belong and they're gonna take real good care of you." Din said. I could hear the hint of sadness in his voice and it made my heart squeeze in my chest.

Din turned back to the ship's controls. I looked out the window and saw that we were approaching a planet. "This is Tython. That's where we're gonna try and find you...and Y/n, a Jedi. But you have to agree to go with them if they want you to. Understand?" Din explained to the child.

Grogu grunted and held his ball up to his face.
"Plus, I can't train you. You're too powerful. Don't you wanna learn more of that Jedi stuff?" Din asked him. I smiled sadly at him.

Grogu grunted and continued playing with his ball. I'm not even sure if he's really listening. Or if he is and he doesn't want to go just as much as I do.

"I agreed to take you back to your own kind, so that's what I need to do. You understand, right?" Din stated. It sounded like he was trying to make himself believe that it was the right thing to do.