Battle droids

The room that we had been taken to was dark, the only light coming from the wall of screens that showed different locations of Plazir-15. The blue light shone on the shiny flooring. Din, Bo-Katan and I stood behind an older man at a desk.

"These droids were all reprogrammed to serve the community from the stockpile of captured Imperial robotics scheduled to be scrapped at Karthon." The man explained as he brought up a recording of a droid pushing a pram.

"The droid's reprogramming was a complete success, until one day, an isolated event..." he trailed off as he brought up a video of an Imperial droid that was collecting trash. The droid picked up a bin and shook the rubbish inside before it began to toss the bin back and forth violently so the trash was scattered across the street.

"Then others." The man said as he brought up another video. A woman was walking to her apartment and a battle droid was following after her with a large stack of boxes. Just as the woman went to open her door, the droid seemed to have a breakdown and started throwing the contents of the boxes all over the place, causing the civilian to run away.

"This is just a small collection of malfunctions that our security cameras caught." The man said as a droid hopped into a speeder car and drove it straight into a wall. The next clip showed a droid with several arms. Each arm was moving in sync as it cut up food at a bar. The droid then began to lose control and spin the knives with a terrifying speed, causing everyone to start screaming and running.

"Turn them off." Bo-Katan stated

"What?" The man asked over his shoulder in confusion

"Why not turn them all off? Who's in charge of that?" Bo asked

"I am. There's a failsafe cutoff switch built into the system." He said as he showed us a big red button on his control panel. "However..."

"What?" Din asked

"The citizens voted against any interruption in droid services. They can't live without it." The man laughed sarcastically

"And why's that?" Din asked

"The citizens are no longer required to work and can spend their days engaging in recreation, the arts, and participating in our direct democracy. If we shut down the droids? Our citizens wouldn't know how to survive. Our society would collapse." The man sarcastically laughed again.

"Then what do you want from us?" Bo asked in confusion

"To seek out and decommission any remaining rogue droids, until we can fix the problem." The man explained

"Give us the list." Bo-Katan said with a sigh

"Well, for that, you'll have to go to the lower level and speak to the ugnaughts." The man stated

"Ugnaughts?" Din asked immediately, the word had clearly caught his attention. Which was unsurprising considering our old friend who we lost to the Empire.

"Ugnaughts." The man confirmed with a nod. The three of us then turned away from the man and exited the room. The turbo lift wasn't very hard to find and before I knew it we were traveling down to the lower levels of Plazir-15.

I lent slightly against Din as we stood in the turbo lift. Lights flashes past the windows as we speed down towards the lower levels of the city.

"See what happens when you rely on droids?" Din asked rhetorically

"Are you taking this personally?" Bo-Katan asked him. Of course he was taking it personally, but Bo didn't exactly know much about Din's past, not like I did anyway.

"Just pointing it out." Din stated

"Let's just finish this so we can be on our way." Bo-Katan said as the lift slowed to a stop on the lower level floor.