Chapter 3

Meera's POV

" It is cheating, I will not talk to you both" pouting her lips Devu said

" We didn't  cheat"  an irked Anshu replied.

I was just enjoying  my children's cute banter. I knew I would have to interfere in a minute or two otherwise this will surely blow up.

" Papa...."

Suddenly Devu screamed enthusiastically.

I looked behind. My husband had come from office that too early.

Our children rushed to their father, forgetting their fight. He took both of them in his arms and was listening to each of their stories with so much patience

He is a great father. He loves them so much that it is evident from the way his face lights up on even just hearing their names.

I left them in their own world and went to make his tea and snacks.

By the time I returned to our room, it was really late at night. Today the kids were more fussy to sleep.

I thought he would have slept but he was still up and working.  I so wanted to go up to him and take that file away but I know that will be me crossing that invisible line.

After changing, I came to my side to sleep but somehow today sleep was far away from my eyes.

My mind was still stuck in the afternoon.

Pandit ji  I was thinking of keeping a Pooja for my family

It is a nice thought . I will make all arrangements.  How many members are in your family.

9 Pandit ji

A lone tear escaped my eyes.  Today I was missing my parents a lot. I so wanted to lie on my mothers lap and just scream and vent out all my pain and frustration.  My heart and mind were in a turmoil.

"Really Uncle, he WANTs to marry  ME"
I was shocked and overwhelmed  on hearing the news

" Yes, they themselves  came for the alliance" , my uncle said

I was on cloud nine , finally I will BELONG to someone

I was so young and immature that I didn't  even question why my would be family and groom did not come to see me. It took me a while to realize it was all a myth ......

Next day, I was serving tea when Saahil Bhai and his wife Sapna came. Everyone  was so happy to see them.

" Oye, where were you? Didn't see you for a long time" Mom asked

"So sorry Aunty , was a little busy but don't worry I have come now and that too with something that will make you super duper happy"

Everyone was confused except for Adidev.

" We are pregnant " Saahil Bhai announced

Everyone was ecstatic, Mom immediately  went inside and came back with a small box.  She gave that to Sapna. Sapna tried to deny it but she insisted saying she is family and it is her blessing for the would be member. I just looked on with a painful smile on my face.

Adidev's POV

" Hey Adi, do you have some time to spare"

I looked up and seeing the person
" Wow, gracing with your presence twice in a week" , I teased Saahil.

Saahil  just smiled but it didn't  reach his eyes.

" What happened, anything serious?" I asked.

" Let's go out for coffee"

We were sitting and sipping a cup of coffee but still Saahil has not opened up to what he wanted to talk to me.

Finally I broke the silence.

" Hey, what is it. You look disturbed? Is Sapna ok?"

" Everything is good on my side but I am worried about you"

I was perplexed.

" How long are you going to live like this?", he continued

I knew what he was referring  to, " You know everything "

" Yes I know but its been 8 years now . Move on accept her"

" Who told you that I didn't  accept her. I have already accepted  her as my wife, I have not step back from any of my duties and responsibilities towards her"

" But she is not family"

I didn't know why but I could not meet his eye at that time.

" There is no one else who will understand  what you and your family  went through at that time but now I think we should all move on. I really think that there is something that we don't know"

" What do you mean?" I asked

" I am seeing Meera Bhabhi for the past 8 years, at first my mind was also prejudiced against her  but slowly my perception  changed. I have seen what she does for your family. I know you know that too. Do you really think Meera Bhabhi did all that 8 years ago? I don't think so. The one I have come to know is so naive and innocent she won't be able to do all that in her dreams. "

I was listening  to what Saahil was saying. My heart had already accepted what he said years ago but my mind is still in conflict.

Saahil continued , " You know in every relationship most important thing is communication.  Have you ever talked to her , asked her why she did what she did. Yesterday for the first time , I felt really bad for Bhabhi. I felt her pain. Sapna also said the same"

" What are you saying, what pain . Whatever may have happened we all treated her respectfully"

" Yes I agree but not as your own. Do you remember the time when you announced Bhabhi's pregnancy . We were all excited. We hugged you ,congratulated you and what not but did we do the same with Bhabhi. No we  congratulated her but so formally." Saahil scoffed. " Yesterday , when Aunty gave that earring to Sapna and said she is her family, I saw the pain in Bhabhi's eyes. I am your friend , Adi I want only good for you. Your brother for whom you have all done this is happy with the love of his life. What about you? Think about this. Dont let your ego stop you from chasing your happiness. Just remember,  the first duty of love is to listen. I am taking my leave now"  saying this Saahil left leaving me in a state of confusion.

It is not like I have not noticed her pain which she successfully  tries to hide most of the time. It is just that whenever I try to take a step in her direction something  stops me. Maybe Saahil is right, its all my ego that didn't  allow me to understand her.

I accept it with my whole heart that she is the best daughter in law, best mother and the best wife. It may be high time that I have a full on conversation  with my wife. At least, for my kids I need to clear up everything. 

Feeling like a burden has been lifted from my shoulders, I left the coffee shop with a light heart and a genuine smile on my face.