Chapter 42

Meera's POV

I was enjoying the night breeze when Deva extended a file towards me.

I looked at him with confusion.

" This is yours. Your Maa and Papa left it for you"

My eyes welled up on hearing about my Maa and Papa.

" I may not had the right but I wanted to know exactly what happened all these years ago. You were sure that your Uncle is not the culprit but some one is, Meera . You suffered because of it. So I investigated your family and also went to your house. "

I was surprised to hear he went to a place which he hated.

" As expected they were not so welcoming but finally I got to the truth"

" They told you just like that" I was curious

" Of course not. But sometimes fear of police and humiliation does the trick. I played exactly  like how they played years ago" Deva said sarcastically

" You were right, your Uncle is innocent but all your other family members were part of this plan. They executed it so beautifully that neither your uncle nor you,  didn't even get a whiff of it."

He looked at me with great pain in his eyes

" Like you , your Uncle thought he was bringing the proposal for me. But the others didn't like it . They thought you are getting  more than what you deserve.  If you remember, it was your other uncle and aunt who came to meet us the first time. They brought your proposal for Anaant thinking that we will reject it as I was not yet married . Thats exactly what happened but Mom made a mistake. She conveyed it to them that Anaant is totally against it. It was a golden chance for them. Their twisted mind thought if they could somehow get him to marry you, you will never be happy. "

I was too shocked by this new revelation.  I always knew that the root cause of this misunderstanding is my family but they will be this deviant, I had no idea.

" They manipulated your Uncle in such a manner that he had no clue what was going behind his back.  Your cousin is the one who posed as you and copied your signature. In short, they got their wish."

" Do they hate me that much? What did I do? " I whispered

" It is not something  you did. Sometimes greed makes you blind. They never accepted  your mother, always thought she was below them. After your Maa and Papa's death, they believed their property rightfully belongs to them and not you . They couldn't recognize  the gem in between, just like us, instead spend their time hating you."

My tears started flowing uncontrollably.  I couldn't believe the hatred they have for me. For mere properties they were not only ready to destroy me but another family too.

Deva wiped the tears and held my cheek in his hands and looked deep into my eyes

" Never ever I want you to shed tears for them. You have already shed enough tears because of them . Now no more. "

I nodded, then took the file and opened it to see a deed for a house and also for some properties.

" I don't need these. What will I do with them now ?" I asked returning the folder to Deva

" Because they are from your father's hard earned money. Do you really think that I will take any thing from them  after what they did to you? But sometimes we have to fight hard for our right and this is YOUR right. Your father worked hard to provide this home for you and your mother. He bought this house and properties  under your mother's name, that is why they couldn't touch it. "

"How did you know about these? I am sure they wouldn't have told you?"

" While I was investigating  about your family , I came to know about them and Sahil helped me in acquiring it . There are still some legal formalities, then it will be in your name"

" Thank you... " I was really touched by what he did for me

" I was in two minds about going to see your family. But I am glad that I went."

I looked at Deva who was staring  at me with a sad smile

" While they were bragging  about their plans, they inadvertently told me how you were happy to get married to me. They told me and I quote, ... the poor girl was halfway in love with her Deva...  I... really... hurt ...you, didn't I?... How will I wash off my sins?... How can you EVER give me a chance? "

" I don't know what will happen in future, I don't want to think about what happened in past, I just want to be happy and live in the present. Is it too much to ask?" I questioned

" Of course not...but can you ever love me again? "

My heart skipped a beat on hearing Deva's question. I don't know what to say. I don't want to hurt him.

" I never stopped loving you but I am scared to trust this love" I replied genuinely

The smile which appeared on my first statement wavered by the end

He leaned forward to place a kiss on my forehead and lingered there for a bit. A lone tear escaped from my eyes. He pulled me into his arms and placed his chin over my head.

" Thank you.... this is more than I could ever hope.... I promise you, Meera, the day will come when you will begin to trust your love. Till then, I will wait for you like you did for me.  But can I make a request?"

" What?" I whispered  against his chest

" I want to hear my name in your voice. The name which is your right. In all these years, you were careful in not calling me by my name but twice you failed, one time you were too emotional that I thought I misheard and next time you were too drunk. But I want to hear it in your fully conscious state"

I know what he wants me to call him but can I. I know it is just a name but for me it is a big step. But isn't that the whole point. Stepping forward rather than looking backwards.  Sorting through all these thoughts, I looked up to his eager face. Still wrapped securely in his arm, I called him....

" Deva...."