Chapter 24

Adidev's POV

Yesterday  was the best day of my life. I felt peace having Meera in my arms. I regret wasting all these years.

" Bhai, can I come in"

I motioned Anaant to enter.

I could see he was very tensed

" What's the matter, Anaant? "

For a moment or two , Anaant just stared at me, then he broke down crying.

I got scared. I immediately  went to his side

" What happened? Did you quarrel  with Payal? Why are you crying? Tell me" I was panicking  seeing Anaant like this

" I am sorry ,really sorry. I am the reason for your unfulfilled  life, Bhai"

Realizing the issue, I first calmed him down

" Anaant, you are not the reason. You may have initiated the situation but the final responsibility lies with me."

" But whenever you tried to talk to me, I used to instigate you against her"

" Anaant, I am not a kid to get instigated. I am much elder to both of you. I should have been mature enough to understand the situation  and act accordingly. "

" I am scared, Bhai. If Meera Bhabhi does not forgive us"

" Then we deserve that"

" Bhai, how can you be so calm"

" You think I am calm" I laughed sarcastically  before continuing, " I am scared out of my wits. Every day, each second I am scared that she will leave me, I am scared that she will realize I don't deserve her, I am scared that she will not forgive me, I am scared that she will.....reject me.  I know even if all these happens I have no reason to complain as I totally deserve it but still I am scared , Anaant."

Anaant looked at me miserably.  I could understand  what he was feeling. We both are in the same boat not knowing what to do next but for me the situation  is tenfold severe.

Meera's POV

I felt really good when people came up to me and appreciated  the play. To be honest , I was very nervous at the beginning especially on seeing the family but Deva's encouraging smile calmed me to an extent. 

Yesterday was special for another reason too. My long time dream of spending time happily with my family got fulfilled. Deva was not only attentive to the children but to me as well. For the first time, I have seen something akin to love in his eyes. I danced with him, he held me so close  to his heart that nothing mattered except him.  But I am scared, scared to hope, scared to dream,  scared to take that leap, scared to trust .... The saying is true, Scalded cats fear even cold water.

" Mamma...Mamma"

I can hear my children hollering as they entered the room.

" Everyone loved the play.  They were all praising us especially  you Mamma" Anshu said

" Why won't they? After all she is OUR Mamma"

The way in which Devu replied made me break out in laughter.

" Mamma, Aman had sent you this" Anshu said while giving me a card

I saw it was a beautiful  handcrafted  thank you card.

I looked at Anshu puzzled.

" Aman thinks it was because of you that he was able to act as lead in play"

" He should say thank you" Devu said arrogantly giving emphasis on should.

" Devu..." I admonished her

" What Mamma , you only told that we should say thank you if someone helps us"

I could only shake my head in amazement at the way she twisted my words.

While I was chatting with the kids, my phone rang

" Hello..."

" Is this Devansh's Mother?"

" Yes, Who is this?"

" Hello Mam, I am the Principal from his school. Is this a right time to talk to you?"

" Sure"

Adidev's POV

I saw the kids huddled  around Meera as I returned back from office.

" What's going on here?" I asked

" Papa, you will be Devastuti's father, ok?"

I was taken aback by Devu's demand . I looked over at Anshu who was giggling.

" She is jealous,  Papa"

" I am not..." said an irked Devu

" What happened,  Princess?"

" Papa, today our Principal called and  she asked for Devansh's mother.  Isn't she my mother too and if she is Anshu's mother then you will be MY father" Devu said with indignation

I was amused by my little firecracker
" Of course, I am yours my Princess"

" So you are not mine"

I turned to the source of voice, wide eyed.

Meera was staring angrily at me with pouted lips.

" Tell me, am I not your Princess" she was shaking me while asking

I was in a daze seeing Meera behaving so childishly.

I looked at my kids who were silently  giggling .

" What happened here? " I fake glared at them . I was sure they are somehow responsible for Meera's  condition.

" Anshu , Devu I am asking again . What did you do to your mother? "

During this time , Meera started playing with my hair, my buttons , my files.... Whenever I tried to make her stop . She would  angrily pinch me ,punch me or stomp on my feet. 

In all these years , I never knew Meera could be so violent. I was not able to control her but still I locked her in my arms before she could do more damage.

" I am asking again? "

This time sensing my seriousness Anshu was the one who replied to my question

" Mamma was having  hiccups.  Even after drinking lots of water , it didn't stop. Then Devu remembered  the time when Dadu had hiccups and after having his medicine , it stopped. So we took that medicine from his room and gave to Mamma. "

" What medicine? " I asked doubtfully

I was dumbstruck when they showed me the bottle. It was a VODKA  bottle.

I looked at Meera, no, a  DRUNK Meera

" How much did you give her ?" I asked

" Mamma nearly had half a bottle before her hiccups stopped." This time it was Devu who replied

I was completely at a loss of words hearing my kids.

" Ahhhhh...." Meera had bit me to escape from hold.

" Help .... help .... he is not leaving me..." Hearing her, I TRIED to cover her mouth but she bit my hand again and stomped on my feet ,then started crying loudly.

I was completely  bewildered on what to do. One side our kids and other side Meera.

" Meera, if you want to be my princess then you should sit here silently,  ok? " I said as I made her sit on bed.

She stopped crying and nodded her head excitedly.

I then turned to my kids and convinced them to go ,have dinner and sleep without Meera today. I also made sure that they don't babble about this to anyone else.

Once they left , I locked the door and turned to Meera. But she was not on the bed

" Deva.... " I heard a voice calling me lovingly