Chapter 4

Adidev's POV

My mind is not at work . It has been two weeks to my conversation with Saahil . Till now I didn't get an opportunity  to talk with Meera or shall I say Meera is not giving me one. Some snippets of conversation of past  are    constantly seeping into my mind . Earlier I was able to block everything  but now.... maybe due to Saahil.....

Where is my file? I have kept it here only

Actually I kept all your files in the top drawer so that it will be easier....

Who told you to touch my things, please you already cost us so much . Leave me to be

I remembered how I lashed at her due to my frustration. During the initial years of marriage, I had seen Meera trying her best to include herselves in our family but then it slowly reduced until she stopped altogether. 

After what she did, we tried to forgive her but couldn't forget. But somewhere Saahil is right , now Anant is also happy and maybe it will be in the best interest of everyone if we tried to move on especially for Anshu and Devu.  But can we?

"You don't have to do all this, we have servants for that"

"But Mom , I love cooking and doing these"

"If  you want you do whatever you want but remember  this is on you. Don't go around  telling everyone that your in laws are forcing you to do this"

I saw the hurt in her eyes when Mom said that

" Why would I Mom, you are all my family"

" We may be yours but you are not"

I still remember the unshed tears. Why it is bothering  me now when it didn't  then.

I can feel a severe  headache coming. Dont know when my life became so complicated.....

Meera's POV

I don't why but for the past couple of weeks, I feel like he is trying to talk to me. But what? Anyway today I have to talk to him . It is PTA at the kid's school and we both have to go. To be honest , I am little scared. In all these years ,there have been only a handful of time that we both went together.  On top of that, I  am feeling very nostalgic today. Maybe because Anshu wanted to look through our albums after he saw Aparna's.

It feels like yesterday that I came into this house. Even though Mom and Dad kept a distance from me, I feel like they care for me in their own way. Sometimes  I have seen Mom look at me
like I have disappointed her. With Anant and Aparna, initially they were very angry with me but after a talk with my husband they mostly ignored me. Still does.
I took a deep sigh thinking about the person who gave me all these relations, my husband, Adidev , my Deva.

You are my responsibility and I don't shy away from my responsibilities

You can tell me anything, its my duty to fulfill your wishes

You don't have to do all these, I don't expect you to

My priority is my family and I can never forgive anyone who hurt them

He was true to his words, he always fulfilled  his duties and responsibilities but sometimes we crave for more care, affection ,LOVE....

I still don't know what i am to him. Sometimes I feel so close to him that I don't wish for anything else but sometimes we are so apart that it feels I will not be able to cross the abyss to reach him. We are a couple but still not one. Why do all my relations get so complicated....

Adidev's POV

I always used to enjoy the cool night air. The twinkling stars in the dark night sky soothes me. Today was no exception. Suddenly I felt a presence beside me.

" Dad"

" What is it, Adi? I have been noticing  you for some time, is there anything bothering you?"

I was surprised that Dad  could understand me so well but then he is the next person after Saahil who could understand my unsaid words. But this time words failed me, I was not sure what to say as he was one of the person after Mom that Meera hurt the most.

" I don't know , Dad. I feel like somehow I lost control of my life"

" Is it about Meera?"

My face must have shown my surprise that my father just laughed.

" You know , Adi when she first entered this house I never though she will become such an integral part of our world"

I was still looking at Dad while he gathered his thoughts . Then looking at me he continued, " Sometimes when our mind gets prejudiced against a person, it takes a lot of time to overcome that and it happened to us too we were not able to fully overcome the pain of that night. We tried our best that Meera gets the respect that a daughter in law deserves but we overlooked  the fact that she too was part of our family. "

We both were silent for a long time reminiscing the past.

" Dad, it is difficult to forget. Her one decision could have destroyed  us"

" I know. But there is one more truth that she had made a place in everyone's heart eventhough no one wants to acknowledge it. Aparna was not satisfied with her dresses until her Bhabhi altered it accordingly to her wishes. Anaant may be distant with her but he can't start a day without his Bhabhi's coffee and breakfast otherwise he is worse than Devu in bringing the house down" saying this Dad started laughing.I also joined him remembering Anaant's tantrums.

" Of course your mom is angry but it is mainly the disappointment she felt, same goes for me too"

" Why didn't  you say anything sooner?"

" Adi , you know the most selfish people in the world are parents. They sometimes can't see beyond their children and their hurt. That happened with us too. You didn't have any choice that time so I didn't want to take any more choice away from you. But today I could feel that you were disturbed and the father in me couldn't resist."

" You are right , Dad. But I don't know what to do,  where to start. The past years we formed a comfortable  routine. Do I need to break that cocoon or let it go as before?" Adi put forward his confusion.

" That's for you to decide. Just understand whatever your decision , your family is behind you"

I sat there for another hour or so after Dad left thinking about his words. I knew my next course of action will set the milestone of my relation with Meera.