Chapter 11

Adidev's POV

She has been staring at the sky for the past hour without moving an inch. Her tears had dried but the sadness still lingered.

I went up to her and sat beside her. Seeing no reaction from her, I pulled her towards me such that her head rested on my shoulders.

She released a deep sigh . If not observing her in minute detail I would not have heard her whisper " Why " .

" I don't know  " I replied back softly

She looked at me with so much pain that it was getting difficult for me to look into her eyes. Whatever she was feeling,  I was feeling  it ten folds along with guilt. But I knew this time it was not about me , it was about Meera. She needs me now so I need to keep aside my emotions for her.

I kissed her forehead and hugged her. She just melted in me and like that we waited for the sun to rise.

Breakfast next day was a silent affair except for the chatter of kids. Once they left for school, nobody knew how to break the ice. The revelation of the previous night had taken it's toll on everybody.

" I am sorry ,Mom. I am sorry Anaant and Dad"
Hearing Meera , we were all surprised.

" It was due to my.. fam..mily that you all have to bea..r so...much" I could hear her voice breaking at the end.

Then composing herself she continued, " If my uncle did not have.. brought the proposal, then this all.. would... no..t have happ..ened. It was a..ll bec..cause of..m..e" At the end she was full blown crying.

Her each sob was breaking my heart to pieces . Before I could go to her, she was in Mom's arms.

I don't know how long they both cried, even we all had tears in our eyes.

" What happened should not have happened but remember one thing YOU are not to blame"

Meera looked at Mom with teary eyes.

" Shweta always used to say that what should happen will always happen. Maybe you were to become our daughter  in law and this may have been the way. Otherwise you would not have married my old son, right"

I was agreeing  with Mom, suddenly  realizing what she said

" Mom" I asked incredulously

Dad and Payal were trying to hide their smile while Anaant was full blown snickering at me.

" He is not that old" I heard my innocent wife coming in support of me

" Oh My God, someone can't hear bad about  someone " Anaant now came on his full teasing mode.

Hearing him, Meera turned bright red and this time Payal, Dad and Mom started teasing her.

" Stop it all of you, why are you teasing her when she is just stating the facts" I stood up for my wife.

" Mom ,Dad ... your good son has turned into Joru ka ghulam" Anaant was not ready to give up

" Not Jordan ka ghulam but my good son have turned into a good husband"  saying this Mom and me shared a smile that conveyed our emotions.

Seeing Anaant pouting, I couldn't control myself. I went to him and hugged him .

" Thank you "  It was evident from his face that he was confused and while smirking  at him I said, " for agreeing  that I am the good son"

The last sentence  from me erupted laughter from everybody except of course Anaant.

I felt truly happy seeing my family laughing freely after a long time. Yes, finally the tangled knots are unwinding.

Later that day, I was in my office  cursing myself, trying to finish the work and go to my family when the devil himself presented himself.

" Hi , how was the trip?" Saahil asked

" What do you want? " I growled at him

He was at first surprised by my reaction then he started smirking at me

This began to increase my anger

" Don't you have to be with Sapna ? What are you doing here?"

Already I am heaped with work and now he will make me more late

" Someone is in a hurry to meet someone" he said in a sing-song voice

" You are worse that Anaant"

"So I was right " Saahil gloated

I looked at him for a minute , then I stood up ,went to him and hugged him tightly.

" Thank you, if it was not for you , all these things would not have come out. We would have continued giving  pain to an innocent soul. "

" I did not do anything. I just advised you , you are the one who took the initiative.  Yes , you were late but better late than never, right..."

" We lost 8 years over this. I wish that night hadn't  happened at all"

" How can you say that? Maybe you didn't love her like you should have but you still cared for her even after all that happened. You didn't take it out on her.... Don't you have at least some beautiful memories? Will you wish any of these years away?"

I pondered over his question. No , I will not then I would be wishing my kids away, those moments.  I may wish for the situation to be better but I still have some beautiful memories  of those years. I nodded no

"Do you know what is your actual mistake?"

I looked at Saahil 

" You didn't ask her, talk to her not even  once. " he replied while smiling gently.
"There is no use crying over spilt milk. She doesn't need your GUILT" he continued  looking  pointedly at me.

" You are right. Sometimes our ego becomes so big that we are not able to take that one step even if we know that everything can be sort out by it. Now I am only left with If only..."

" You know I believe  everything  has it's own time and nothing happens before that. Maybe that was not your time, this is.  Sitting in front of you is the best example. I always wanted kids but Sapna was not sure and I know she agreed just for me. Five years and the toll of it, most couples usually split but it brought us more close. From last year , more than me, Sapna was praying for our baby even thinking about adoption. Don't lose hope, it's your time. Do all that what you would have done 8 years ago. Go enjoy. Most importantly  talk to her....listen to her...."

" Sapna is really lucky " I said smiling at him

" Meera is also lucky but now show her how"

We both started laughing and just like that he lifted my mood. I couldn't  have asked for a better friend.