Chapter 15

Meera's POV

Last few days should have been the happiest days of my life but then why am I feeling all jittery inside. What is  stopping me from taking the plunge, to enjoy the family that I always craved. The revelation  had somewhere set my heart free but also increased my pain. For someone else's actions,  for someone else's misunderstandings,  somehow I became the injured party.  It feels like nowadays my mind and heart are always at war. There is an uncertainty in me which I am not able to understand.

" Saahil invited us to dinner "

I was brought back from my thoughts by his voice.

" If you are up for it...." he trailed off looking at me like he was trying to solve a puzzle

I nodded my head. I really need to get out and talking to Sapna really seemed a good idea.

" You didn't  have to do this especially  in your condition, dear " I said to Sapna

" It's not a big deal ..." Sapna was saying when Saahil interrupted  us

" Hold your horses, Bhabhi. What you see is all courtesy of me, not your dear Sapna"

" Oh Hello... I was the one who..." Saahil raised his eyebrows, " ...decided the menu" Sapna completed making us all laugh.

It felt good to laugh freely.

Later, I was helping out Sapna with the dishes . Mind you she tried to dissuade me saying me that Sahil will see to it. But I really felt bad for him. He already prepared such a tasty dinner.

" I had a great time today" Sapna said

" Me too" I said and really meant it

"  Can I ask you something  personal "

I suddenly  became guarded

" How did you manage with the  TWINS" she asked me and the way she said twins I broke out laughing.

She fake glared at me and said, " I am asking you seriously,  I am having severe mood swings and my cravings are so weird. Saahil is going crazy."

" I didn't  have that much mood swings except when I didn't get to have sweets when I craved. Then I used to stamp around in my room . Now I realize, it is all Devu..." I started reminiscing those days

" Sapna, some of my cravings were out of the blue like pickle with icecream. Always savory and dessert combo. "

" Not a surprise, after all Devu prefers sweet and Anshu loves savory,  right? " Sapna asked

" You are right. But the worst was my backache. Towards the end of  my second trimester, it was getting  really difficult  for me to lie down. I was better off sitting. Towards the end , it would take me at least half an hour to just get up and sit on the bed. So either I would set up alarm half an early or I would sleep on the recliner in the room"

Sapna looked at me with a terrified look

I suddenly  realized  that I have unknowingly  scared  her instead of pacifying.

" Come on Sapna, you don't have anything to worry.  You have Sahil with you at every step and I also have heard each pregnancy is different.  Look, I didn't  have any problem during my first trimester like yours so maybe your rest of the journey will go smoothly "

I could see that she relaxed a bit so I immediately changed the topic towards her work.

Deva was unusually quiet on our way back home. They were times that I felt him staring at me. I was not understanding what caused his sudden mood change. When we were there at Saahil Bhai and Sapna's he was looking happy. Did Saahil Bhai say anything to him ? I really wanted to ask what was the matter but I didn't have that courage in me.

As we entered our room, I heard him calling me in a very subdued voice. I turned to look at him least expecting what I am about to see. He was looking utterly devastated and his eyes were reflecting pain similar to the ones I had.
Tears were flowing  uncontrollably  down his face. I have never ever seen him like this. For a better word , he looked broken.

" I am...so..orry... I ..am real..ly dee..ply very..ver..ry sor..ry....Meera"

Saying this he went out of the room leaving me stunned.