Chapter 37

Meera's POV

" You look different,  Meera"

" I don't know about looks but I sure do feel different, Doctor"

" In what way"

" For the first time in my life ,I feel confident about my decision"

" So you thought about what we discussed  last session. What is your conclusion?"

" Not conclusion  but a beginning " I smiled confidently

Taking a deep breathe I continued,

" I want to start anew. For me, for my kids ...and also for.... him. I am not just a wife , I am a mother too. My kids will always be my priority but I realized that doesn't mean that I have to consider myself less. 8 years....it took us eight years to understand what kept us apart....EGO." I chuckled  lightly,

" I love him always loved him and I don't want to lose another 8 years on MY ego . So I want to give it a try. The past has left knots in our relationship but will those be so strong that it unites us forever or will it weaken and break with time? I need to find the answer for that. Not for the kids only but for me and for my love."

I stopped tentatively but she gave me an encouraging smile to continue

"Maybe because of the way I was raised, I never questioned the wrong happening with me. In some way , I too am responsible. I didn't stand for myself. I became weak which gave them more power...to hurt me.... I have heard somewhere that the person who silently accepts the wrong is more at fault than the one who does it. I am not justifying them or me but I realized , I will never be able to move on until I find the strength within me....."

I took a moment to collect my thoughts. The next words from my mouth is going to redefine me.

" Marriage is an institution  that I strongly believe in, then and now. But the 18 year old have matured and she realized,it is an institution of EQUAL partnership. Yes,I got his respect, more as the mother of his child than his wife, but now I NEED equal respect.  Yes, I want to make us work but I NEED his trust. Yes, I love him and I NEED his love"

" Exactly...." she smiled widely at me

Adidev's POV

Meera had her session two days back , now the counselor had called both of us together. I was petrified thinking what would have been Meera's decision. I have seen a change in Meera after that night and it is scaring the hell out of me. Did Meera decide not to try? Did she realize I am not worth it? Is she going to leave me? These were the questions on my mind from the moment the counselor called us for a group session.

" Good Evening"

The doctor's voice broke my thoughts.

" You both may be wondering why I called you both together. "

Meera and I looked at each other and nodded our head in acknowledgement.

" There are many couples who come here arguing, throwing blames at each other but you both are unique. You knew your weaknesses beforehand and most importantly  what led to this situation " doctor looked at me pointedly

I looked down in shame but at the same time my heart was beating fast in fear.

" Marriage is not something  to be taken lightly but we also need to know when to stop.  It is futile beating a dead horse."

I was praying to all the gods hearing the doctor's words. Tears pricked my eyes. I was controlling so hard to not let it fall when her next sentence surprised me to my core.

"But both of you wants to give it a go. I too agree. Till now the main problem  was ego and misunderstandings. Those have been resolved , so let's see how you work as a couple"

I was on seventh heaven and looked over at Meera with grateful eyes. I know that I did not deserve this chance she has now bestowed upon me. I also realized with regret that what she offered me is the one that I never did.

"What do you mean?" I heard Meera ask

I returned my attention to the conversation.

"When you both first got married, all the misunderstandings kept you apart. Then fell into a comfortable rhythm not attempting to shake the boat so to speak. For the past 5 years, including the pregnancy , you were parents to your kids . So when have you both been a couple in the real sense ?" she questioned

We both were speechless and seeing our stunned expression, she just chuckled

" From now on, I want you both to be  husband and wife first , then be parents"