Chapter 19

Meera's POV

" So what do you think"

I looked at Anshu' s drama teacher. She had called me to school saying that she wanted to discuss something  important  about Anshu.

" I don't know... I really am not sure...."

" But Devansh is. " she said smiling and continued, " I have to really appreciate  Devansh for taking such a decision. He is really mature  for his age"

" Can you give me some time to think?"

" Sure, but I hope I get a reply within a week. We are thinking of having the play for school day, which is in a month."

" Ok , I will give a call within 2 days"

Adidev's POV

I didn't  see Meera when I came home nor she is in the room. I was thinking of going to look for her when Mom entered with a cup of tea .

" Adi, how are you now? Here, have your tea?"

" Thanks Mom"

" You should not have gone to office today, you need to take rest"

" I am fine . Have you seen Meera? "

" No, she went out 2 hours ago. "

" Where did she go?"

" She  said she is going to the kids school"

" Why did she go to school? Kids are ok, right?"

" Of course,  otherwise she would have called you"

" I am not sure" I said in a low voice

" What is the matter , Adi. You seem disturbed?"

" Mom, are you being purposefully ignorant?" I asked incredulously. 

" Adi...."

" Mom.... after all what has happened , you really need to ask me what I am disturbed about" my voice got slightly  raised

" No Adi , I didn't mean that. But I thought once everything  is in open, it will be easier to move on. "

" How , Mom, How? ... How do we move past the pain of 8 years in mere days. If I have to say, I would think it has become more difficult now" I admonished Mom

" But for how long...."

" She waited 8 years .... EIGHT WHOLE YEARS " I replied sarcastically

Mom had a chagrined expression  on hearing  my words

Meera's POV

" Where were you?"

I heard Mom asking me as I returned from school

" I went to the kids school" I was puzzled as I had already informed her about it

" You have been gone a long time and Adi was worried about you"

" Thats new " I muttered

" Meera, I know it is not easy and also not my place but still I have a request.   Adi is trying his best and we admit we are your culprits but sometimes it serves no purpose in pondering over the past. We must try to move on"

Hearing Mom, something burst in me.
The anger, the disappointment, the regret ,the hurt especially after what happened over the past few days, all came tumbling out of me

" Move on ....Move on ... from what should I move on"

For the first time in life , I am raising my voice.

" Should I move on from the ignorance bestowed upon me by YOUR family or
Should I move on from the loneliness of my eight years or Should I move on from the confusions in my life. From what all should I move on ,Mom."

I could see Dad, Anaant and Payal coming out to see what the commotion is. From the corner of my eyes, I could see Deva at the top of the stairs. But nothing could stop me today, all the pain was coming out.

" My life is in shambles because of your mistakes. I agree what happened to you was not right but what was my fault. To save Dad and Anaant , you were ready to accept the SACRIFICE of your Adi but who gave you the right to sacrifice MY LIFE. Even if you thought I was behind everything , why didn't you try to talk to me. You say that I am your BEST FRIEND'S daughter, then Why ?" I questioned  Mom.

I then asked her something which has been nagging me for years, "I was too young to remember you when Maa passed away. I came to know about you and your family through my Maa's diary and fell in love with you all but where were you when Maa passed away ? Where were you for 13 years after that? You didn't even think to come and meet me knowing how my family is. Why?"

I could see Mom was shocked on hearing me. She bowed her head in shame.

" Bhabhi, What are you saying to Mom?.."  Anaant started saying when I turned my anger towards him

" So what should I say? You tell me Anaant. If as a 22 year old ,you could not bear one day of humiliation so think about an 18 year old who bore it for years"

This shut up Anaant. I thought by this time, Deva would interfere and stop me but I saw him just watching me and somehow that gave me courage to complete what I started.

" I always had this dream to have a family to love and be loved and I thought I had it but didn't realize it was all a mirage. I didn't know why I was ignored, why I was unwanted , why I was rejected but still I tried to compromise to this life. " By this time tears were rolling down my face.

Payal and Mom were also crying . Anaant had a guilty expression while Dad's face was pained. 

" When Anaant got married to Payal, I saw first hand how this family welcomes a new member. It was a painful  reminder everyday seeing you people with Payal. Now one day you all tell me that I was being punished for someone else's actions and expects me to forget EVERYTHING  and MOVE ON. So tell me from what all should I move on..." I was breathing  heavily  at the end 

I could see pain, guilt, remorse on each of their face but it is not making me feel better

" For one mistake, committed by someone else, I was punished for 8 long years so what should be yours for my 8 years of pain? How can you expect me to move on in a few DAYS..? Truth be told , I really don't have any grudge over you but then you all have to understand ME. It is not easy for me to forgive and  forget ...."  I stopped as I was not able to continue further.

I turned to go and saw Deva was still standing there with an impassive look on his face. Without further ado, I left for my room.