Chapter 27

Meera's POV

I was having difficulty  in opening my eyes especially the sunlight was hurting me a lot.

" Ahhhhh" I moaned painfully as my head was killing me. I held onto it to reduce the pain.

" Here, have this . It will reduce your headache"  I looked up to see Deva holding a glass of lime water.

How did he know I have headache? What happened last night? I remember  having that distasteful water Devu gave me. Why can't I remember  after that? I was completely confused.

" This is called hangover" Deva replied to my unvoiced queries.

" Hang...hangover.... For that you have to dr..drink....alco..hol..." I whispered unbelievably

" Yes, that you have to"

" I don't drink " I stated

" I know, but you accidentally  had half a bottle of vodka, courtesy  of our dear children" he was having a mischievous smile on his face seeing my shocked face.

I was really embarrassed  and wanted to get away and tried to get up but the sudden movement caused me to get dizzy. It was good Deva was there who caught me before I could fall. He made me sit on the bed and then handed me the lime water.

" Drink...don't make any sudden movements, you may feel dizzy. You will be dehydrated.  Drink lots of fluids and for headache , have this aspirin."

As Deva was turning to go , I asked

" Di..did I do anything wrong yesterday? "

He raised his eyebrows as if he didn't understand

" I meant did I make a fool of myself? Did I embarass you? "

" You don't remember  anything? " he asked as he sat beside me

I nodded in no

He stared at me for a couple of moments, then with a loving smile on his face said

" No, you didn't,  you couldn't "

I got up again to escape from his piercing gaze when he caught my wrist.

" Why don't you call me by name or anything? Everyone  calls me Adi but I have never heard you call me anything"

I was surprised that he noticed. He was looking at me waiting for an answer but I don't know what to say. I always wanted to call him Deva, he was Deva to me but our relationship didn't allow me so I refrained from calling him anything.

Deva was keenly observing me and I knew my face and silence itself was giving him all the answers but I couldn't voice out my heart's desire.

His face broke out into a sad smile and he came near me, so near that I was having goosebumps .

" I want you to call me whatever your heart desire"

I looked up at him in shock. How did he read my thoughts

" Especially I want you to call me Deva in your conscious state" he whispered near my ears. Hearing Deva from his lips, my eyes went wide with surprise

After staring at me for a moment , he left the room.

I was stunned to hear Deva from him. I realized, last night , I might have babbled it out.

What all did I say? Did I do anything foolish. Deva said no but my instincts tell me that something  big happened last night. Why couldn't I remember it?

" Mamma" I looked up to see Anshu at the door.

I beckoned him to come inside.

" Are you alright,Mamma? "

" I am fine " I replied with a smile

" I am sorry. Papa told us it was a bad drink that is why you were acting like that. If I knew that, I wouldn't have let Devu give it to you. I swear Mamma, I will never make this mistake again"

Anshu's eyes filled up with tears while saying these. I immediately  hugged my baby.

" It's ok , Anshu. It happens and I am not mad at you or Devu. You realized your mistake that's important and I should also have checked"

" Thanks Mamma... you are the best"

As Anshu was leaving, I remembered   something he said.

" Anshu, what did you mean by acting like that"

" Mamma, you were behaving so childishly.  You tell Devu is possessive of Papa but you were no better yesterday.
You were asking Papa why you are not his princess"

Appalled would be an understatement  to what I was feeling at that moment. I was speechless.

" Mamma, are you ok? "

" Yes, I am . You go and get ready. I will come soon" I said after coming out from my stupor

After Anshu left , I sat on the bed,not finding the strength to move. I was trying to recollect what happened yesterday. My instincts were right and I am sure what Anshu told is just the tip of the iceberg.

Why don't you love me?

My eyes widened with shock as a certain tidbits from yesterday flashed across my mind