Chapter 20

Adidev's POV

I saw Mom slumped on the sofa with Dad and Anant supporting her on both sides. Everyone was dumbstruck by what happened.

" Why" I asked Mom

" Adi..." Mom looked at me with a pained expression

" Why  Mom, I already warned you about this." I expressed  my displeasure

" I thought maybe if I talked to her...."

" What Mom , did you really think that after ignoring her , suddenly within a day we will be able to make amends."

" Adi...." Dad warned me hearing my raised voice

I closed my eyes and took deep breathe to calm myself. After controlling my emotions , I kneeled down in front of Mom

" Mom, In all these years, has she ever raised her voice or expressed any kind of  displeasure ? "

Mom looked at me and nodded in no

" When we revealed to her the truth, you remember  how she apologized to us for her uncle and her family, she didn't have to but still she did. She felt your pain as a mother, she understood as the daughter in law of this house  . Today, it was not the mother or the daughter in law but a woman who spoke out her pain and we have to acknowledge  that. " I tried to make them understand  what Meera is going through

" Adi is right" Dad spoke, " just because she smiled with us and talked to us doesn't mean she is ready to move on . We should give her time and she deserves  that. "

" Mom, you and Dad are now suddenly  treating her like you do with Payal and Anaant has started teasing her. She may not say anything but instead of making her comfortable it is confusing her more. "

" But how Bhai ? Even it is not easy for us to interact  with Bhabhi.  We feel guilty but we are trying"

" Anaant , I know teasing and being funny is your way to make a situation light especially when you are nervous but she doesn't know that.  She may respond to you thinking otherwise it may offend you again"

Anaant and Mom looked at me wide eyed , as they finally realized what is actually  going on.

" Mom, let her figure out what she wants. She deserves at least that from us. "  saying this I stood up to follow Meera to our room.

I didn't  see Meera as I entered the room, then I heard the water running. from the bathroom. I started to knock but heard sobbing sounds coming from behind the door. It stung my heart to realize I can't even console her. I slid down the wall and sat on this side of the door listening to her crying her heart out, her each sob a stab to my heart.

Meera's POV

I was completely  drained out after my confrontation  with Mom. I don't know how long I cried in the bathroom but when I came out, I saw Deva sitting near the door and sleeping. I was thinking  of calling him when I saw tear tracks on his face. Even though it pinched me, I let him be.

As I came out the room, I saw Anaant standing by the stairs.

" Bhabhi ...." he called out to me as I passed him

I stood there while he came up to me.

" I am sorry.....You were right , Bhabhi. I always thought of myself as a victim  and you as my culprit. Never  once it occurred to me to think that you were just an 18 year old. If I was helpless at that time , you could be too. My hate clouded not just my judgment but Mom's too. Bhai and Dad used to make us understand  that maybe we should let past go but I was the one stuck on that day "  saying this he fell on his knees , before me
" But trust me, Bhabhi.... I am not trying to belittle your sufferings but it was my guilt that I just wanted everything to be fine as soon as possible. It was not easy for us to learn the truth. In the blink of an eye, we became culprits. I was guilty of denying my brother of the same happiness  that I enjoyed with Payal..." he trailed off.

" I am sorry, Bhabhi , really sorry . Please forgive me. " saying this he broke down in front of me.

I couldn't find it in me to comfort him. I turned to walk away when Payal called me, " Bhabhi, I know everyone hurt you including  me . I won't ask you to forgive anyone but just know that whatever you do , I am with you " saying this she smiled at me tentatively.
I looked at her and then at Anaant who was hurt by my silence but I just walked away.

I was breathing  heavily  by the time I reached the kitchen . Someone offered me a glass of water, I turned to see Mom. She had a sad smile on her face.

" You were right, Meera . I called Shweta, my best friend but due to my ego I broke off what was left of one of the best things I had in my life. I never knew when I became so selfish.  I will never ask forgiveness  from you because I know we ask forgiveness  for mistakes not sins. One day ,I hope that you can absolve me from my sins."

" Absolve us from our sins" I heard Dad add and hold Mom by her shoulders.

Mom patted my cheek and with unshed tears, she and Dad left me to my thoughts.

I could feel a massive headache coming brooding over everything be it the confrontation, conversation  with Anaant and Mom , Deva's tears. At this moment the only thing on my mind was to escape from this emotional toll. Suddenly, I had the perfect solution. I took my phone and made the call.

" Hello...."