Chapter 8

8 years ago
Adidev's POV

" Mom... Dad...What is going on here? " Seeing the tense atmosphere I asked

" Bhai , please make Mom understand . I don't want to get married " Anaant said

" What " I shouted, " Mom how can you think of his marriage, he is only 22"

" What do you think that i want this marriage? Would I think of his marriage before yours?"

" We don't have an option " Dad added

" What do you mean? " I asked

" Do you remember Shweta Aunty?"

" Yeah, Veta Aunty, your best friend from your hometown"

" Yes, she was more than my best friend she was my sister. She is also the reason that Anaant is alive today. "

That was news to me

" But that doesn't mean that I should sacrifice my life " yelled Anaant

I looked at Mom

" Shweta died 13 years ago, she left behind a daughter who is 18 now. Her uncle met us today . They want to marry her to our Anaant"

" Ok ...Mom let them know that Anaant is too young and in fact the girl herself is a teenager"

" I tried Adi but they are adamant. They are saying we are going back on our word and we are thankless after all Shweta saved Anaant's life and now it is upto him to take care of her daughter, Meera"

" What word?"

" It was just a thing between friends. After she saved Anaant ,I just said that when Meera grows up I will make her my daughter in law"

" I don't want to marry anyone, I will not " saying this Anaant stormed away

" Come on Mom , this is ridiculous "

" I think so too. I think you should talk to them and tell them that we are not thinking of Anaant's marriage now" Dad supported me

" Maybe you all are right, I will talk to them"

Next day, I saw Mom going through old albums. I sat beside her.

" You know , Adi . I always wanted Meera as my daughter in law after all she is my Shweta's daughter"

" Mom" I said in a warning tone

" I know I know . But if both of them were a little older, I would have considered it"

Suddenly, we heard a knock on our doors. I went to find police standing at our door steps. By the time Dad and Anaant also joined us.

" What is it , Inspector" I asked

" Who is Madan , Sarla and Anaant Tripati ?"

" That' s us , what is the matter? " Dad queried

" There is a complaint in your names from one Miss Meera Joshi that after promising marriage ,you people are reneging on it due to dowry"

Shocked was an understatement to what we felt. Even after trying to make the Inspector understand, he took Mom, Dad and Anaant with him.

It took me better part of the day but I was able to bring them out on bail. The advocate has warned us that even though we got bail due to lack of evidence and even if we proved ourselves true the case can really cause a dent to our reputation. He advised us for an out of court settlement.

It all came to a head later in the night when we heard Aparna scream. We rushed towards Anaant's room where Aparna has gone to give him food. The sight in front of me still gives me shivers. Anaant was lying in a pool of his blood.
We immediately took him to the hospital. But our bad luck didn't end there, at the hospital Dad suddenly collapsed. Doctor said it was an attack.

That night was the worst night of our life. Me, Mom and Aparna were praying for both Dad and Anaant. At that moment, we all hated Meera with every fibre of our being. In the morning, Doctor came with the news that both Dad and Anaant are out danger but to take care and keep them out of any stressful situation.

I sat beside Mom who was silently weeping, " I never in my wildest dream thought that my Shweta's daughter could do like this"

" Mom, what happened happened, now we have to keep both of them out of this"

" But how"

" I am going for an out of court settlement. They want marriage right? They will get one"

" Anaant.."

" I am not talking about Anaant , I am talking about me"

Mom was shocked, " No , I couldn't let you do that"

" I have taken the decision, this is the only way"

Even though Mom hated it , she knew I was right.

Everything then happened really fast once Dad and Anaant got discharged from hospital. We didn't even once went to see her. Anaant and Aparna really hated for what she did . For Mom , it was more disappointment mixed with anger. For Dad , it was helplessness.

On the eve of the wedding , we siblings were sitting in my room when Anaant and Aparna tried to dissuade me from going ahead with the wedding.

" Bhai there is still time. We will fight this. You don't have to marry her"

" Yes Bhai, I really hate for what she did to my brothers"

" Stop it both of you, this marriage is going to happen and one more thing after the marriage , you will not disrespect her or bring up this topic"

They both looked at me like I have grown an extra head.

" Look, part of the deal was we will never bring the topic of the case Let bygones be bygones. Secondly, we will not stoop to her level. Dad and Mom taught us to respect people"

" You are right, Adi. I am today very proud of you" Mom said coming into my room with Dad.

Looking at all, she continued, " She will become the daughter in law of the house. She will get the respect due of her but she will never be part of MY family" Mom declared

Present

I looked at Meera sleeping in my arms. I felt really miserable thinking about the pain she endured in the past. Mom was right, we were unknowingly punishing an innocent girl. I tightened my hold on her while my eyes shed tears for her, for me and for OUR family .

Note: Please excuse me if the legal matters described is not proper as I am not well versed in it and all names and characters in this story are just part of my wild imagination.