Chapter 12

Meera's POV

I feel like I had gone through an emotional rollercoaster in the past 3 days. I never thought the truth could be so devastating. I could understand why they behaved the way they did with me. If by just hearing I am feeling like this then they had lived through the pain but that doesn't lessen MY pain. My mind and heart are now having a fight among themselves. So I did the one thing that brings me peace.

I took out Maa's diary. The only thing that keeps me connected to her. I opened the first page and looked at the photographs that she had stuck on it. I touched the photos as I have done thousands of times. One was our family  and another was Deva's family, my this family.

I knew about them much before Uncle brought the proposal. This diary is full of their stories especially about Mom and Deva. Sometimes  I used to feel jealous of Deva because he got to spend more time with Maa and he was Maa's favorite. Deva, even the name was given by Maa. Maybe reading their stories and their love made me selfish that I didn't think much before saying  yes to the marriage.  Looking back i could see all the signs that I ignored.

I opened a random page of the diary.

Today is Meera's third birthday. Sarla and family had come down to celebrate  it with us. You won't believe what my Deva did.  He brought a gift for Meera that too which he brought with his own hard earned money. Sarla told me how he was disappointed  last year when he couldn't gift her anything  so he did small work around house for an year to buy the payal. Meera absolutely  adored the payal. She is always shaking her legs to hear the sound. My Deva's face splits into a smile  whenever he sees her doing that.They are so adorable. 

I turned the page

Anaant was teasing Meera a lot but my Deva stood like a rock for her. He is so protective  of her that I can't believe he is only 11. Sarla says that he was not even this protective of Anaant.

" Meera .... Meera"

His voice brought me out of my thoughts. I looked at him

" Are  you okay"  his voice and eyes showed concern

Other than nodding ,I couldn't  do anything  else

" You freshen up , I will get your tea" I said to him to make a quick escape

" Care to join me? "

Balcony has always been my favorite spot in the house. It has a serenity that I find nowhere else.

" What were you reading?"

I looked at him with confusion on hearing his question.

" You were reading something when I came in and you looked lost too" he said gently

" It was nothing" I don't know why but for now I didn't  want to share my mother with him. By his look , I knew that he also knows that it was not nothing but he did not press me instead started talking  about kids.

It is easy for us to talk about others but about us, it becomes tense and awkward.  I thought it will be much easier as all misunderstandings have been cleared but didn't realize now comes the actual journey.  Deva was right, we have to start afresh . Keeping aside all the hurt and insecurities  we have to open ourselves to each other. The foremost  question is where to start?

Later that night, Mom gathered us all in the hall.

" Some days back ,I thought of having a puja at home. Now with everything  cleared up, I feel like I should not delay in thanking God. So Payal and Meera, I am giving you both the full responsibility.  Adi , you call Aparna and Rishi"

Hearing this Dad and Anaant began to laugh while Mom glared at them. Payal was also smiling like she knew something we don't. Me and Deva both were puzzled.

" What happened? Are we missing something " Deva asked

" Bhai, you know Mom..." cutting off Anaant Mom replied, " Nothing, your sister is showing her usual tantrums"

" I don't know why she is making a mountain out of a molehill" Mom muttered  under her breath.

" Come on , Mom. You forgot Rishi , how can it be nothing" Anaant said

" Can anyone please tell me what's going on" Deva asked again

" Adi, few days back your Mom thought to conduct a puja. She even called the pandit to ask all the details and when pandit asked her about the number of family members , she said 9 forgetting Rishi"

I was surprised on hearing what Dad said . I still remember the day, the pain I felt on realizing Mom doesn't consider me family even to outsiders.

" What... , Mom... How can you forget Rishi ?  But how did Aparna know about this? Did you tell her , Anaant?"

" Hey, don't start blaming me. Blame our mother only. She only blabbered it to Aparna."

Deva looked at Mom incredulously.

" What, they got married a few weeks back only" Mom defended herself

Hearing this, I couldn't stop the smile spreading on my face. Finally one more piece of puzzle fell into place.

" Mom, Payal can't help Bhabhi. I need her help " Anaant suddenly said.

" What help? " Payal asked

" That help.... with that thing" Anaant said looking at her pointedly.

Payal looked confused for a bit then exclaimed , " Oh yes... I totally forgot  about THAT thing"

" But how will Meera do everything  alone?" Mom was worried

" Why alone? Bhai , won't you help Bhabhi? " Anaant asked with a mischievous smile.

" Really.... you really think that we are not smart enough to not understand what is going on " Deva asked Anaant while glaring at him

" It's not a problem, I can manage alone.  There is no need to disturb him" I immediately  interrupted to prevent the topic from escalating.

Everyone turned to look at me with different expressions. Deva incredulously,  Mom and Dad lovingly while Payal had a teasing smile with Anaant smirking  like he had won something.

I felt like I am missing some part of the conversation.

" Bhai...., You will let Bhabi do all the work ALONE"

" You know Anaant, I will not let MY WIFE do all the work ALONE"  he replied to Anaant brazenly

Everyone's face broke out in a wide smile hearing him. I was stunned to hear him say the words MY WIFE. I didn't even  realize that my eyes had welled up until I saw Mom giving me an understanding smile. Maybe this puja is the start we need.