Chapter 10

Meera's POV

Deva said after dinner everyone wants to talk to me. I was feeling nervous like I was going to give my 12th board exam.

" Don't worry. I am always  there with you"  I heard Deva whisper but it did not calm my rapidly beating heart.

I entered the room to find Mom, Dad and Anaant equally tensed as me. This knowledge helped me to calm a little.

" Come inside Meera . Sit down"

I smiled nervously and sat down as Mom asked.

There was utter silence in the room. It went on for a while as if nobody knew what to say and how to start.

Finally , Deva stood up from where he was sitting, took my hands in his and  kneeled in front of me. I was shocked by his actions.

" I know you are confused and have a lot of questions, Meera . We are here to answer them at least a part of it"

What he next said shocked me to the core. 

" Meera .... Meera " I could somewhere hear Deva calling me but I was not able to react. Then I felt someone putting a cup of water to my lips. I looked up to see Deva, he nodded me to have the water. I sipped the water while he brushed away the tears that I was shedding which I was unaware of.

" I. did..n't do... this" I whispered . I was not able to coherently put words together. I was in deep shock imagining what the family went through and to think that they thought I did it was the worst kind of torture  for me.

" I didn't do it... I am telling the truth ... Why would I put case against Anaant when I was going to marry Deva....Believe me I didn't do this.." I was becoming  hysterical by the minute. Suddenly Deva hugged me

" We know ... we know. Even though we got to know it very late but we know that you didn't do this"

I looked into his eyes to ensure that he was speaking the truth.

" That's why you all hate me" suddenly realizing the cause of my pain

" I am sorry , I am really sorry " saying this Mom started to cry.

" Mom, please don't.  You are not at fault. Whoever will be in your place would have reacted the same way. In spite of all this, you all were good to me"

" You really are my Shweta's daughter.  How was I not able to recognize your innocence. Blame it on my anger and selfishness. I couldn't think beyond my children"

" Every mothers are selfish. I can understand you ,Mom. I will also be not able to forgive anyone who hurt Anshu or Devu."

" Forgive me too ,Bhabhi. I am also your culprit" Anaant said

" No need for anyone to apologize " I said as I saw Dad was about to do the same, " It was not anyone's fault"

" It was someone's  fault" Deva interrupted

" Your Uncle, he was the one who came with your proposal to Anaant but to you he said we came with my proposal.  He is the only one who could have done this but why . What could he achieve by this. Did he think forcing our hand , you will be happy?"

" No my uncle could never do this. He may not be expressive but he loves me in his own way"

" Did you know that your uncle passed away six months after our marriage?" Deva asked me gently

" I know"

My reply shocked everyone

" Why didn't  you tell us? " Deva asked

" I tried to but you didn't  listen" I said

Deva closed his eyes out of shame

" I don't know who made that complaint  but I am sure it was not my uncle." I said . Seeing that everyone  was listening  to me I continued, "Except for my elder uncle and my grandfather  nobody accepted my mother into the family as she was my father's  choice.  It was such a shock to my grandfather when my parents passed away , that he also left us. Then it was only my this uncle who took me in. For everyone else I was just invisible. My uncle was not that demonstrative not even with his own family but I knew he loved me. When I came 1st in my 12th , my uncle promised me that he will get me admission in the best college....."

"What are you saying, Uncle? You promised that you enrol me in the best college but instead of that you want to get me married"

I was distraught by my uncle's decision.

Seeing me teary eyed, my uncle made me sit beside him

" I know you want to study and your parents would have wanted the same but I am helpless. I am scared of what will happen to you after I am gone. It is not hidden from me how other's treat you. "

" What do you mean gone? "

Suddenly uncle seemed anxious and tried to steal away his eyes from me. But I was adamant.
With teary eyes he said, " I am dying Meera. Doctor has given me a time of 8 months ,maybe less"

Shock was an understatement.  I couldn't believe that fate would again steal away another of my loved one.

" No... No ... it can't be true" saying this i began to sob uncontrollably on my Uncle's chest.

After consoling me, he asked me " Will you agree for marriage? I promise you that I will find the best home for you where you will get all the love you deserve... trust me.."

Looking at my Uncle , I couldn't deny his dying wish.

" I will marry the one of your choice as I trust you"

" Oh, the one I have in mind is not my choice " he smiled teasingly  at me.

" The person who wished for my happiness , who wanted to make me secure cannot do this knowing how it will effect me"

Everyone was in deep thought after my revelation.

" Bhabhi, if not your Uncle then someone from your family has done this. It was a written complaint with your signature and don't you think it's strange how first he came for me then told you that it was Adi Bhai's"

Before I could reply, my husband said,

" Not really , Anaant. From what Meera said her uncle was protective  of her so he may have decided to tell after we agreed and we agreed for my marriage not yours. Regarding the complaint, have anyone of us confirmed it was Meera's signature on it. It could have been anyone but yes it could have been someone from your family only"

" I can understand Bhabhi's uncle doing it out of desperation but what will the other's gain?"

" They will get rid of her"  we heard Mom saying. Then she looked at me and  continued,

" Shweta  always used to say how some people in the house never considered her and you a member of the family. She was pained by it. So it is evident that they thought by marrying you off ,they will get rid of you. They would also not care about  how you got married too. "

We all silently listened to what Mom said ,not knowing what to say.

" It's late,  I think we should all sleep on it. We can discuss the rest later. It has been lot of information  for all of us that we all need to process with a fresh mind" Dad spoke after a while.

We all nodded and started leaving when Mom caught my hands .

" I am sorry once again , Beta. I couldn't believe  that I gave Shweta's  daughter the same pain that she went through. I used to curse the family for this but now I..." she choked on her words.

I didn't know what else to do so I just hugged her. She hugged me back so tightly  like she won't let me go. It felt like I got my Mom back.

The entangled  relations were finally  unraveling.