Chapter 3

Shimura and I lived on the outskirts of Shizuoka city. By now, we had arrived to the center of the city and begun to weave our way through alleyways as the buildings became more crowded. A couple of moments ago I had overheard a police man asked for "a little girl with long silver hair and gray eyes, about six" to ongoing pedestrians. I could only imagine soon that somebody would check on the Shimura family and find pools of blood in their backyard, warning even more police to tail us.

My bare feet were aching and were scratched, my arms tired from pulling Shimura in the red wagon. Eventually, we stopped behind a restaurant, hiding behind a bunch of thrown out cardboard boxes. I sat leaned against the brick wall of the building licking my dry lips. Gosh I was thirsty. I looked down at my wrist. Still no tally marks. Maybe they will refresh once tomorrow comes.

I buried my face into my hands as Shimura shuffled closer to me for warmth, fighting the cold of the shaded, stone alleyway. I had a chance to spend another life with my dead sister and mother but I left it. I abandoned them and sent my mother into a panic. What if this didn't work out? What if I had run away for no reason?

"What's your name?" I heard Shimura ask out of the blue. I lifted my head from my hands, resting the side of my face on my knees to look at him.

"Jikan Ushiromuki," I said with a wide smile, trying to hide my worry.

"Ushiromuki-chan," he repeated back wistfully.

Giggling, I said, "You don't have to be so formal. How about you just call me by my first name, Jikan! We're friends now, right?"

"Then, Jikan, why don't you call me Tenko?"

"Sure, Tenko!" A toothy smile split across Tenko's face. It was only then I noticed how incredibly chapped and dry his lips looked. His whole face looks dry and flakey. "What's wrong with your face?"

He seemed a little taken aback by my question and only then did I realize how rude it sounded. I began to apologize but he then stopped me. "It's my allergies. My face gets all itchy when I'm outside..." He then started to itch at his neck, as if he was only then reminded of his allergies.

Feeling around in my pockets, I found my 1,200 yen I had grabbed before running away with Tenko. "Stay here," I commanded before running out of the alleyway. Upon returning I had 100 yen left and a bottle of allergy pills and a plastic water bottle. "Do you know how to take these?" He shook his head solemnly. "No worries, I can help you!" I sat down next to him.

Opening the allergy pills, I poured one out and handed it to him. "Plop this in your mouth," I explained, "then drink some water and try to swallow it." He tossed it in his mouth, and I opened the water and handed it to him. He poured it into his mouth before setting the bottle down and motioning to his mouth. It looked like he couldn't swallow the pills. "No worries!" I lifted his chin with my fingertips and lightly held the back of his head. "Pretend you're swallowing a big bite of a cheeseburger!" After a couple of attempted gulps, Tenko successfully swallowed the pills. I cheered and clapped my hands for him. "Good job!" I then took the water and took a couple sips myself.

He looked up at me, his cheeks red with pride. When he was like this, he really was adorable. I wrapped my arms around his neck and hugged him tight. "Tenko, has anybody ever told you how cute you are!" I squealed.

Gently, he placed his hands on my back. It seemed he was still cautious as to if at sometime he would touch me and I'd fade away. "N-no," he whispered shyly. "Jikan, why are we running away?"

I pulled out of the hug and looked him in the eyes. I was reminded of my mom, my sister, and I felt like crying. Tears welled up in my eyes but I forced them to stay from pouring out. "You don't have to come with me if you don't want to," my voice quivered. As much as I didn't want him to turn into the villain he might become, I wasn't going to force such a young child to do anything he didn't want to.

After several moments of silence, Tenko spoke. "When I'm with you, nothing dies," he replied in a dead-pan voice. My body froze, my hands becoming cold. I snapped back to reality. Was it already too late for me to change this child?

"It's not me, that's stopping you, it's the gloves!" I giggled nervously, scooting away slightly from the grim child. He crept towards me, wrapping his arms around my waist in another hug. He buried his face in my shoulder. Hesitantly, I returned the hug. "Tenko?"

"I don't want you to disappear like my family," he whispered in his raspy voice. My heart broke. I hugged him tighter but didn't say a word. The sun seemed like it was beginning to set so I pulled out of the hug. I unfolded a couple of cardboard boxes near us and laid them on the floor, just big enough for us two to still be hidden and able to have enough room to lay down and sleep. It wouldn't be comfortable, but it was enough to protect us from rocks or shattered glass on the floor of the alleyway.

"Come here, lay down next to me and we can stay by each other for warmth!" I said as I laid down on the cardboard and patted the space next to me. Hesitantly, Tenko laid down next to me, his back pressed against my stomach. He seemed shy and I giggled. Recently, the nights had been getting colder as summer came to an end. We would have to find a better place to stay soon.

I watched his breathing slow as I was deep in thought. I hadn't even had a plan to stop Tenko from becoming the villain, Shigaraki. I chewed on my tiny nails as I thought of a plan. Then, BAM! I had it. The perfect plan. Ideas flowed in one after another, fitting together like puzzle pieces.

If I didn't want Tenko to be a villain, why not create him into the furthest thing from it? A pro-hero! With his quirk, he was bound to make it into a hero school. Maybe even U.A., the best hero academy in Japan! That was it, I was going to help Tenko get accepted into U.A.

Once he got accepted, I hoped I'd be able to return to my mother and sister. Tenko would be a fine hero and maybe even be one that would protect Hana instead of killing her. He didn't know it yet, but tomorrow, being a pro-hero will be his dream career. I rustled my face into Tenko's back, excited to tell him about his extravagant future tomorrow.