Chapter 15

As I looked in the mirror of mine and Tenko's bedroom, I gripped my obvious belly fat. "Hmm, maybe I should start dieting again," I pouted as I spun around in my navy blue school uniform. That's right, I was starting school.

Father Chris had convinced me to. He said I would never get a job if I didn't get a proper education. Reluctantly, I admitted he was right, and he enrolled me in middle school as a second year student.

By now, I was fourteen. This, sadly, was my awkward stage. I was covered in acne, my voice was squeaky, I had braces, and my hair was always greasy and icky. I hated this phase of my life, and I especially didn't want to go to school during it.

As I walked out of my room, Tenko was standing out in the hallway, leaning against a wall. Him and I were around the same height now, but I was still a little taller. Father Chris's height was about our waists. It was pretty funny.

Puberty had yet to hit thirteen year old Tenko, unlike me. His voice was still high pitched, and his facial features still looked young. But, by now, his skin was smooth and unblemished. The allergy pills really worked. Except for a small, adorable mole that appeared below his lip and the two scars he had on his face, his skin was perfectly smooth. His blue gray hair was shaggy, and swept neatly above his eyebrows. But, he was still taller, and more defined. He was sure to be popular at school among the girls.

Tenko smiled at me and I was jealous of his straight teeth. He didn't have to go through the pain of braces. I had to go through the pain twice now. Father Chris had organized an orthodontist appointment for me a couple months ago to put them on. It was a little bump in our friendship.

"I'm sad we won't be in the same class together," Tenko pouted as we left the church and began to make our way to school. Tenko was still younger than me, and was a first year student. So, we would not share the same class or the same floor at the school building. We probably would not see each other often.

The spring air danced in my hair as we walked. Something about this walk to school was nostalgic. It made me giddy. "It's okay," I smiled. "We can still see each other at lunch and stuff." My voice had a bit of a lisp to it from the braces. I hated it. But, Tenko didn't ever seem to mind.

"Promise?" he asked, looking at me with a pouty face. I giggled slightly, holding out my pinky finger for him to take.

"Promise." Tenko shook my pinky finger with his gloved hand. He still wore the gloves All for One gave him years ago. They made me flinch every time I thought about them.

When we arrived at our school, sakura blossoms filled the air, adding color to the already blue school building. A sign hung above the entrance reading, "Hajimari Middle School". Students were collecting at the front door, ready to exchange their outdoor shoes for their indoor school shoes.

By the time Tenko and I had made it in and exchanged our shoes, I had already spotted a crowd of girls forming, pointing and giggling as they looked at Tenko. I smirked.

"Hey, look over there. Tons of cute girls looking in your direction," I whispered as I took him by the shoulders and spun him around. Tenko noticed them and shyly waved before all the girls squealed and ran away.

I laughed as he turned back around. "Hey, you're good at this! You're sure to have all the girls swooning over you in no time," I joked. Tenko didn't seem to find it funny, though. He frowned. I was about to ask him what was wrong but then the school bell rang. It was time to go to class.

"Bye, Tenko! Good luck on your first day of middle school!" I called as I began to walk away.

"Bye, Jikan! You too!" he called back.

Making my way up the school stairs, I tried to find my way to my classroom. Classroom 2-B. When I spotted it and made my way inside, I got a couple glances and whispers. It was understandable, when I was a middle school student before I regressed I would have done the same. I was a new student, and kids found me interesting. So, what do kids do? They gossip.

I found an empty seat in between two girls and made my way over. "Is anybody sitting here?" I politely asked the girl to the left.

"Nuh-uh," she responded, blowing me off and not even looking in my direction. She was looking at her fresh, sparkly nails. I rolled my eyes and took a seat.

In my last middle school, I was surprisingly popular given my not-so-attractive appearance. People found my quirk of traveling back in time super useful and interesting. They would try to use my quirk in case they ever did anything awkward or embarrassing. For a price, I would sometimes help them. But here, my quirk was gone. I was a quirkless freak.

Embarrassingly enough, I too would poke fun at people without quirks. Eighty percent of the population on Earth developed quirks by the age six, but twenty percent didn't. Now that I was quirkless I didn't understand why I did. I guess I just did it to fit in. But in reality, quirkless kids were just like any other kids. It wasn't like being quirkless was a disease or anything.

I turned to the other girl that was sitting next to me. She had tiger-like stripes all along her skin, whiskers on her face, and bright orange hair. Her pupils were yellow and narrow. "Hello, I'm Jikan Ushiromuki and I'm new here. What's your name?"

"Tora Hensou. Nice to meet you!" Tora introduced herself with a smile, revealing her feline fangs. I held out my hand and we shook. But, a call from the front of the classroom interrupted our conversation.

"Welcome, class!" my new teacher began. She had written her name on the board. Tanaka-sensei. "I will be your homeroom teacher for the remainder of this school year. I hope you all had a good winter break."

I heard multiple kids groan. A couple whispered about how horrible this teacher was, and about rumors that said she was pure evil. I felt myself deflate. I was not excited to have a bad homeroom teacher.

"We also have a new transfer student that just came in this year. I know all of you may have known each other from the previous year, so I thought it'd be nice to introduce them and have you all get to know them. Ushiromuki-san, please come up," Tanaka-sensei ordered, as she pointed to her side at the front of the classroom.

Confidently, I walked upwards. While I wasn't as gorgeously built as I was in my twenties, I still was confident standing in front of people. My job required me to do a lot of presenting, and I was always praised for my good looks, so I never felt uncomfortable in front of people.

I looked out at the sea of classmates, watching me curiously. Most of them would have quirks. If not, all of them. "My name is Jikan Ushiromuki. I'm originally from Shizuoka city down south and I hope we can all become good friends," I finished strongly.

A couple blinks, a few moments of silence, and the girl with the nails from before raised her hand, indicating she had a question. Tanaka-sensei motioned for her to speak.

"What's your quirk?" she asked, students nodding in agreed curiosity. I gulped, wondering how I should respond.

Deciding honesty was best, I spoke up. "I don't have one. I'm quirkless."

Instantly, and horrifyingly, all the students in the classroom burst into laughter.