Chapter 19

WARNING: This chapter contains disturbing imagery.

"I'll meet you outside when you guys are done," Tenko said as he split off to go into the men's restroom and Himiko-chan and I went off into the women's.

"Okay," I confirmed with him before walking in. I didn't have to go to the restroom myself, but Himiko-chan did so I figured I'd just stand by the sinks while I waited.

As we walked into the bathroom, it was empty. It was weird, especially since the mall had been so crowded. I chose to ignore it, taking in this sweet moment of quiet. Stalls lined the right side of the wall and sinks the other, a long, illuminated mirror stretching down the wall above the sinks. I walked over to the sinks, figuring I'd wash my hands while I waited, just for good measure.

But, as I waited for Himiko-chan to use the restroom, she didn't. She stood beside me, silently watching me wash my hands. The cold water running through my fingers felt colder as I looked in the mirror to see the reflection of Himiko-chan's silent stare. We met eyes through the reflection, and I quickly flicked my eyes back down to my hands again.

"Aren't you going to use the restroom?" I quietly asked, trying to shake away the fear creeping up my back. "If you don't have to go we can head back right now—..."

"You and Tenko are best friends, right?" Himiko-chan wondered aloud. It was an odd and sudden question and, to be honest, I didn't know exactly how to define our relationship.

Since I had taken in Tenko, years ago when I first regressed, I've treated him like a child I was supposed to take care of. As if I was his mother. During the time I was paying close attention to Tenko, I never had time to make close friends or form relationships. I never attended school, and was never part of any outside activities where I may have had chances to become close with other people. So, Tenko may just be my best, and only friend. Besides Father Chris, perhaps. But I more considered him a father figure.

Funny thing was, I never felt lonely, even with just having Tenko and Father Chris. Before I regressed, I was a very social and overall popular person. I had many friends. But I guess all I needed was a couple to be happy. It was a little relaxing, too. Only having to upkeep a couple of relationships at a time.

I pondered a bit before answering. "Yes, I guess we are best friends." I answered. Feeling more at ease, talking about Tenko, I continued. "He's really my only friend. We've known each other ever since we were young and stuck together ever since."

Finishing watching my hand I turned to look down at Himiko-chan. She was shockingly close, and it made me jump a little. "What is it?" I asked nervously.

"I really think you're interesting, Jikan-chan. I want to be your best friend too," Himiko-chan whispered, her blank stare twitching into a smile.

This was making me nervous. I took a couple steps away from her, but she only followed me. Why was this bathroom so empty? Water dripping from the sink echoed throughout the room. "We can be best friends. Don't worry," I shakily told her.

"You're really nice to me, Jikan-chan. Nobody is ever nice to me. They're always scared of me, saying I'm a monster. But you've only been kind," she explained, her head tilting slightly to the side.

"I've no reason to be mean to you. You're really a sweet girl," I lied. In all honesty, I was starting to think the worst of Himiko-chan. But I still couldn't blame her. To me, she was just a young, troubled child. She didn't know what she was doing or where she was heading.

When Himiko-chan had become a villain, Toga, I knew nothing about her, not even her quirk. She was just a high school girl in the League of Villains. I didn't know how she got caught up in that life, or what she was like before. But now I had a faint idea.