Chapter 57

Hana came home to the sight of me installing a new, steel plated door knob, along with a couple extra locks. But even then, I didn't know if it would do anything to stop our potential unwanted guest.

"What did the officers say?" she asked as she watched me drill some nails into the door knob. My hands were shaking, but I didn't want her to see. I shifted my body, so that my back was hiding any nervousness I might present.

"They couldn't find anything. There weren't any fingerprints and there aren't any security cameras that cover our area," I mumbled through gritted teeth. Of course, Japan had security cameras everywhere but when you needed them the most they weren't there.

Hana then hesitantly took a step closer to me. "Aho... He said he could stay over for the next couple days. Just until we feel like there isn't a threat anymore," she suggested. I drilled more aggressively, letting the noise fill the room and demonstrate my clear disapproval. "Jikan!" Hana shouted over the noise, exasperated.

I stopped. "No. He's not staying over. We don't need his help. We're fine," I stated firmly, before continuing to drill, a scowl on my face.

"But we're not fine, Jikan!" Hana once again tried to compete with the noise. "Somebody broke into our home! What if we get kidnapped? I already lost you once, Jikan, I don't want to lose you again!"

I had finished drilling and I slowly lowered the drill to the ground as I kneeled there on the floor. I turned to look at Hana. "I'm sorry," I murmured, hearing the pain in her voice. I didn't know what to say. I didn't even know if apologizing was the right thing to say.

Hana took a deep breath, smoothing out her clothes. "Just a few nights," she probed again. "A few nights and he'll be gone."

I sighed, standing up as I walked past her and put the drill back under the kitchen sink. "Two nights. Two nights and then he leaves," I compromise, giving Hana an intense glance.

"But—...!"

"Two nights."

"Fine," she muttered, her shoulders slumping. I smiled slightly in relief. I then walked over to Hana, giving her an apologetic look.

"Hana, did I tell you how happy I am that you're alive?" I whispered to her, letting my eyes linger on her. Her nose that flared when she breathed, her neck that pulsed with life. How long ago was it now that I had witnessed her death?

But, I couldn't yet be sure that I had saved her yet. In this life, I hadn't yet reached the date of Hana's death. While I may have altered Tenko's timeline, I couldn't be sure of Hana's wellbeing until this life had caught up with my last. And it was approaching faster and faster. When I first regressed back to when I was six years old felt so long ago...

Hana gave me a curious look, the corners of her lips lifting up into an awkward smile. "What are you talking about? You're acting weird," she laughed slightly. I smirked, shaking my head as I looked away.

"Oh, nothing. Did I ever tell you that you were my favorite sister?" I wrapped my arms around her in a hug.

"I'm your only sister," she giggled as she hugged me back.

"Doesn't change the fact that you're my favorite. I'd even say you're my favorite person in the whole world."

"Ditto," said Hana back as she rested her chin on my shoulder. I sighed with contentment before pulling away.

"Alright, you call Bakane-kun and tell him he can come over. But two nights only!" I stated firmly. "I don't want him to do that thing he always does where he groans and whines so he can get his way and you let him."

Hana nodded, pulling out her phone almost instantly. I watched as she found his contact. It was 'Boyfriend' with a heart next to it, and an admittedly endearing picture of him smiling. One time I saw Aho's contact for Hana. There was no contact photo and she was on his phone as 'Hana Ushiromuki'. Ugh...

I fiddled with my necklace as I walked out of the kitchen and towards the coffee table where I had my bag from my recent shopping spree where I bought a new door knob. But, the bag had not only a new door knob, but a security camera. The thing was expensive but, in a situation like this, it seemed worth it to me.

I didn't tell Hana about it. As much as I loved Hana, she was a talker. She told Aho everything. And at the moment, Aho could be a suspect for what was happening to us. At least, that was what I kept telling myself. Even though I had a very, gnawing idea at who could have broken into our home. But, I tried to push it to the back of my mind. It was easier to blame everything on Aho than to linger on the subject.

When Hana had retired to their room for the evening, and Aho had not yet arrived, I got to work. On an opposite wall, facing towards the door, I mounted the camera. The camera only had a view of the front door and the door to our bedroom and bathroom, as well as a slight view of the kitchen. Watching a couple tutorial videos online, I figured out how to connect it to my phone (with much trial and error) so that I could review any footage the camera picked up.

I was going to catch this intruder. Nobody broke into my home, especially with my sister in it. Well... besides Dabi. He was a different case wasn't he? He couldn't possibly mean any harm.

I looked up in satisfaction at my camera, taking a step back to admire my work. I was becoming quite the handywoman.

With a nod of determination, I prepared myself for the night to come.

———

AH! I'm back...

Sorry I was gone for so long. I swear I haven't lost motivation for the story or anything I just got really busy with school and stuff. But now it's the holidays and I have time! Plus, I have finished college applications so that may free up more time!

I also appreciate all the comments of motivation and support you guys leave. They make me so happy and I always enjoy reading them! Hope you guys have a happy holidays!

AGAIN SO SORRY !!!

~littlesharpsword