Chapter 51

"Hana, I think you should break up with Bakane-kun."

It had been about a half an hour since Aho and Dabi had finished dinner and left, and I thought now would be a better time than ever to bring the conversation up with Hana. Especially after all the ways Aho had insulted her during dinner, but Hana clearly looked offended.

"You hardly know him! That was the first time you've met him. Why would you say that?" she countered. Before I regressed I had sat around and not told Hana's my true feelings about her boyfriend until my mother's death. I was not going to let that happen this time.

"I love you Hana, but you can be really oblivious sometimes," I said, shaking my head as I sat on the couch. My sister was wiping down the coffee table. "Did you not notice how he treated you during dinner?"

"He's only joking! That's the way we joke with each other!" she explained, her voice raising a pitch. Hana never got angry. She only did when she was defending the people she loved. She must have been in with Aho too deep.

I shook my head, looking down at my fingers as I fiddled with them. This was just like last time. There was no convincing her. She wasn't convinced until her and Aho were engaged, and my mother had died. Only when it was too late did she realize what a fool she had been.

My mother will be dying this upcoming year. Hana doesn't know it, and I can't tell her because my mother hasn't been diagnosed with cancer yet, but she will miss out on a lot of opportunities to spend time with my mother before she passes. I was going to milk what little time I had left with my family.

I needed concrete evidence that Aho is the awful person I say he is. Especially since he's been acting even more suspicious in this life than the last. Dabi and him clearly have a connection, and it's odd that Aho still ended up dating Hana even when Hana had moved hours away from Shizuoka. She was never meant to cross paths with him again.

Without saying another word, I got up from the couch and went into mine and Hana's unlit bedroom.

"Jikan? Where are you going?" Hana asked, suddenly nervous as I left. "I didn't mean to be rude. I'm sorry if I hurt your—..."

"It's not that. You're fine, Hana. I just need to cool my nerves," I say as I shut the door behind me. I plopped onto the bed and pulled out my phone, holding it above me.

Since the sports festival at U.A., I had unmuted Tenko's text messages in case he might have texted me something about his whereabouts while he was missing. Now that he is back, and according to Aida-chan he has been back for a couple of days, I had expected him to at least send me a couple of his daily text messages. But, Tenko had gone silent.

I frowned with furrowed eyebrows as I scrolled back on his daily text messages, skimming them over. I mean, the whole point of me wanting to leave him once again at U.A. was for him to get used to living without me, but the sudden cut-off and the interview... it was just all too suspicious.

Everything was too suspicious! Dabi, Aho, Tenko...

"Jikan?" There was a knock on the door and then it creaked open, shedding light into the room. I blinked as I adjusted to the brightness.

"Mom. You're home," I smiled as I turned to look at her, turning my phone off and setting it beside me. I would think everything over later. For now I needed to spend time with my mother.

"Hana said you and her got into a fight," my mother said solemnly, coming to sit down on the side of the bed next to me. I sat up to look at her.

My smile falters as I speak. "It really wasn't anything serious. I'm just worried for her, that's all."

"I know, I know. That's what I love about you two. You always prioritize each other," she says softly, running a hand through my hair. It felt nice. As my body warmed, I realized she was definitely using her quirk on me to lower my defenses, but I didn't mind. "But, Hana is an adult now. And she's your older sister. I'm sure it's a little hard for her to get told what to do by her younger sister."

Yet I had lived twice the lifetimes of her. If only they knew maybe they would listen to me more. If only they had seen the things I had seen!

"You're right," is all I said.

My mother smiled. "Tomorrow, after school, how about we all go to the amusement park? We haven't really hung out that much as a family since you've come back," she suggested.

I nodded. "That'd be great."

"Now, why don't you go and apologize to your sister?"

Reluctantly, I got up from the bed. I had nothing to apologize for. I was right, but nobody else could possibly know that. Well, except Hana herself, but she wasn't in the right state of mind. I'd have to wait and see how Aho and her played out. Hopefully before then I could find out why he was so suspicious and prove his awfulness to Hana.

I left the room, timidly opening the door. I peaked out into the living room to find Hana biting her nails. She bever bit her nails. She spent a lot of money to get fancy acrylics like hers. She must be upset.

"Hey," I began.

"Hey," she continued, dropping her hand as soon as she realized she was biting her nails.

I sat down next to her, smiling softly. "I'm sorry about what I said earlier. Really."

"I'm sorry I got so upset with you," Hana added quickly.

I laughed. "You don't have to apologize, it's my fault for pushing your buttons."

Hana smiled as well. "Have I ever told you how great of a sister you are?"

She didn't know even half of it. She didn't know what I'd done to keep her alive and safe. It was okay though. As long as she was happy.

"Nope. But I would love to hear it."