Chapter 55

Dabi grabbed my forearm with both of my hands before twisting my skin in opposite directions with each hand, causing a momentary, painful burning sensation. I yanked my arm back with a yelp. "What was that?!" I gasped, my face contorting into an angry scowl.

"Indian sunburn," Dabi said with a cheeky smile.

"Why did you do that?" I whispered with a slight kick to his leg.

He shrugged, nonchalant. "I dunno. Just felt like it."

"So immature," I snorted. But even then, that excuse didn't feel like much to me. He just felt like it? What was he thinking? I glanced over at my phone on the couch to see it buzzing like crazy, the screen lighting up with notifications. "What the..." I began to get up to grab it when Dabi grabbed my arm once again and pulled me back down on the floor.

"I just got here and you're already getting distracted by your phone?" Dabi mockingly pouted at me. I rolled my eyes before getting comfortable once again. "Besides, who could be texting you at this hour? I thought you didn't have many friends," he then added jokingly.

I shot him a confused glance. "How did you know that?"

He froze slightly. It was a small falter, but just large enough to be significant. But, he swiftly collected himself, continuing on. "You're a busy body with your priorities straight. You wouldn't have time for friends. Obviously," Dabi said teasingly. "Don't worry, though. I'm your friend, aren't I?"

He was definitely acting weird, and I couldn't quite place it. But, his unbothered demeanor convinced me otherwise. I laughed softly. "A real friend wouldn't leave me for a year and then come back with no explanation," I responded light heartedly.

Dabi's smile dropped. "Don't you think you're being a hypocrite?"

"What?"

"Tenko. You've abandoned him for several years with no explanation, haven't you?" His expression was blank, almost curious, as he waited to see how I would react.

I went silent, pondering his words. He was right, and I hated it. I tried to speak up, creating inadequate excuses. "That was different. You know I had to. Otherwise—..."

"Hm. Alright. Fine," Dabi sighed, not wanting to hear my rambling any longer. He began to stand up, flattening out his coat once he was at his full height. I abruptly stood up with him.

"Where are you going?" I asked.

"I'm leaving. I already said happy birthday. I've done what I came here to do," Dabi announced, his wide smile returning.

I tilted my head to the side. "Haven't you forgotten my birthday present?" I bantered.

Dabi smirked, strolling closer to me. For a moment, my breath caught in my throat as he approached me in the dim light. The lighting almost made me forget that half his skin was shriveling off his body. "Do you have something in mind?" he whispered, after letting the silence hang for a moment longer.

He towered above me, looking down at me with narrowed, bright blue eyes. I cleared my throat looking down at the floor. "No... I was only joking," I choked out.

It was then I remembered Dabi was a villain. I was hanging out, with a villain, in my house. In my past life, Dabi was part of the League of Villains. The exact same league that killed my sister. But for some reason, in this life, I trusted him. I didn't find fear around him, but an odd sense of comfort. But, he still made me nervous. In a different sort of way.

"How about I let you make a little birthday wish? Even though it technically isn't your birthday anymore," he suggested. It was a little past midnight, so it wasn't my birthday, but I appreciated the thought.

"What do you mean, birthday wish?" I asked softly, looking up at him.

Without another word, Dabi lifted his hand, pointing his two fingers near my lips, before igniting a soft blue flame from his fingertips. I gasped slightly as the flame cast a blue glow around the room, the feeling almost magical. "Make a wish," Dabi whispered, his eyes glued to my face.

I gave him a grateful glance before turning to the flame in awe. I closed my eyes, taking a moment to think of my wish. My wish...

 I wish for Hana, Tenko, and even Dabi to have a happy ending.

With that, I let out a soft blow, causing the flame to disappear in a wisp of smoke. In a moment, the room went dark once again.

"What'd you wish for?" He then questioned me.

"Well, if I tell you a wish then it won't come true. And I really want it to come true," I replied. I was being completely honest.

Dabi sighed. "That's unfair. I really want to know what it was." I laughed slightly, walking past him towards the door to let him out.

As I opened the door, and let Dabi exit. He paused in the doorway. "I'll tell you what I wished for once it comes true. Alright?" I promised him.

He gave me an unconvinced stare. "Alright, alright. I'll see you later, Jikan." I said my goodbyes, and Dabi turned to leave before he paused, not even looking back at me. "Hey, lock your doors tonight."

I froze, my skin turning cold. "Wh-Why?" I locked my doors every night, but it was frightening that Dabi still felt the need to warn me.

"No reason. You just live in a dangerous city," he replied, still not looking back at me. His reason was unconvincing. "Have a good night's rest, too," he then quickly added.

"Yeah... you too," I replied softly, my voice shaking slightly. Without another word, Dabi walked away, leaving me to shut the door behind me and continue to reminisce on his seemingly random suggestion.