Chapter 37

We had spent a couple hours talking, sitting against a brick wall in the alley. While the uncomfort of sitting next to a serial murderer unsettled me, I had begun to be more open with Dabi and found him surprisingly easy to talk to.

A couple of times I had called him Todoroki-san. But every time I did, he gave me a weird look and said something like, "I abandoned that name a long time ago." So I stuck to calling him Dabi.

It was an hour to midnight by the time I had decided to head home. Dabi walked me home in the shade of night, hopefully making his eerie and wanted face less noticable in the dark. Soon, we made it to my mother's apartment building.

"Gosh, they've gotta be so worried sick. I'd better head inside," I murmured, practically biting my nails.

Dabi scanned the length of the building before turning to look at me. "When can I see you again?" he asked, and the question startled me.

I blinked at him, choosing my words carefully before I answered. "I'd imagine not for a while," I slowly began, "because my mother isn't going to let me off the hook that easily. She's probably worried sick thinking you've kidnapped me or something. I'm sure I'll be under heavy surveillance.

"Plus—you're a... a villain. Is it wise for me to hang out with you?" I shrugged. Dabi didn't say anything, here merely glanced in a different direction. I let out a soft sigh before giving a slight chuckle. "It was really nice meeting you again. But I do think you can go about life a little bit differently, don't you think?"

Dabi frowned. "So you don't approve of me being a villain, is what you're saying?"

"Why should I? This isn't what you wanted. You wanted to be a hero that saves people," I pointed out, my voice becoming a little bit more urgent.

"That was a childhood dream," Dabi scoffed. "I appreciate you for supporting it, but my goals are different now."

"Dabi... Don't be like that—..."

"Goodnight, Jikan. Stay safe. Hosu is a dangerous city," Dabi told me curtly before stalking off in the opposite direction, the shadows quickly enveloping him. He was gone before I got another say in the conversation.

I took a couple of indecisive steps back and forth, trying to decide if I should chase after him, but I ended up remembering my family and how they might be worried so I simply growled in frustration before climbing up the stairs to their apartment.

With a soft click, I entered the apartment trying to be as quiet as possible, only to find that was no use. Hana and my mother were on the couch in each other's arms, wailing uncontrollably. I sighed. My family were always such crybabies. "I'm home!" I called, trying to put on a cheery disposition.

Both their heads snapped in my direction in shock. Then, their expressions shifted. Hana's face was a huge smile of relief while my mother's... was completely heartbroken. I could sense the guilt and the embarrassment and the fear all in the one expression, and it hurt to see it.

I quickly slid off my shoes and rushed over to them, joining them in their hug.

"Jikan!" Hana wailed. "It was all my fault! I really thought I had lost you all over again!"

I stroked her familiar, silver locks, as I wrapped my arms around her and my mother. "It wasn't your fault," I cooed. "Don't be like that."

My mother pushed me out of the hug only to grab my face and turn it back and forth, silently looking for any scratches or bruises I might have collected along my adventure. When she noticed I was unscathed, she breathed a sigh of relief. But, her hurt expression was still visible.

She made space for me on the couch in between her and Hana, and I gratefully took it. I hadn't realized how tired I was until I had the chance to sit down. Hana wiped away her snot and tears while my mother squeezed my hand tightly.

"I don't understand. What happened? How are you back?" my mother asked, wide eyed. "Hana told me you and her encountered Dabi and—seeing that massacre of a fire he caused a couple days back—I didn't know if you were going to come back alright or not."

Hana then butted in. "We had spent hours looking for you, but the police had told us our crying and screaming was only causing trouble so they sent us home," she informed me, completely unashamed. I laughed slightly.

"I was no harmed in anyway," I assured them. "You guys don't have to worry."

"Speaking of which, why did Dabi act like he knew you?" Hana then asked, and I flinched. My mother nodded in agreement, the curioisty seemingly biting at her as well. "He kept calling me Jikan and asking for you. He obviously knew who you were beforehand."

I cleared my throat. "Right..." I didn't want to reveal Dabi's backstory as Todoroki-san, since he seemed very defensive about it, and I didn't want to be seen sympathizing with the villain. "I don't exactly know why either. It was honestly quite frightening," I concluded with a confident nod.

My mother and sister nodded in hesitant understanding. My lies kept building up, and they seemed to be believing them less and less. Finally, my mother spoke again. "Are you going to tell us everything that happened and how you got home safe?"

Again, I lied. I told them that the only thing Dabi did was drag me around while he ran from the police, and eventually, when the police stopped chasing, he let me go home on my own. I told them it was a surreal and horrifying experience and I never wanted to go through it again. Ever. Then my mother said I wouldn't have to.

"Why?" I asked, confused.

"I just got my daughter back and I'm not losing her again. You're going to be under heavy watch from now on," my mother replied sternly. "You leave when I know exactly where you are going and when you get home. Otherwise, you must stay here in the apartment."

"What?!" I complained, looking at her in upset shock. "You can't do that!"

"Sure I can, I'm your mother. I'm going to try to get you accustomed to life here as soon as possible, too. So that means getting ready to start school and making new friends here," my mother elaborated.

"Mom! You can't do that! I—..."

"Jikan! I don't want to hear it. I love you and I want you to be safe. If you want to keep arguing you might as well go to bed!" My mother then pointed an angry finger at the bedroom door.

I gave an exasperated glance from her, to the door, then back again, before groaning and stomping off to the bedroom. I plopped down in the bed, fully clothed, too frustrated to bother changing into my pajamas.

I knew my mother only had my safety in mind, but it sure was a hindrance. I felt like I was grounded, when I should be being rewarded for making it back home safely. Me running around with Dabi was practically out of control! It's not like it was my fault I ran into him.

My eyelids started to get heavy. I wanted to stay awake and continue to be frustrated, as well as think of all the possible reasons why my mother was wrong in this situation, but I was too tired. Before I knew it, I was dead asleep.