Chapter 46

I don't know which surprised me more—the fact that he was standing right in front of me, or the fact that he didn't seem at all surprised to see me. The only indication of emotion Tenko showed was the tensing of his hands as he curled them into tight fists, or veins revealing themself across his neck.

I was at a loss for words. I wanted to speak but my mouth felt dry and I wanted to run but my legs felt weak.

Dabi broke the silence. "You're that Tenko Shimura kid they've been talking about, right?" he asks. "Y'know, now that I'm getting a closer look at you I feel like I've seen you somewhere before."

"I'd imagine. I've been all over the news lately since I've gotten into U.A.," Tenko responds nonchalantly, his gaze tearing from me and over to Dabi.

"No, no... Somewhere else."

At this, I spoke up. "He was the kid I was with at the pharmacy. Years ago when we first met." My voice was fast and shaky. Every movement I made and every word I spoke felt like I was about to step on a land mine. One wrong move and I felt as if Tenko might lose control.

"Ah. I knew those eerie eyes were familiar," Dabi yawned. His voice was cool and apathetic, calm and calculating. Dabi knew something was up, but he chose not to show it.

"Welp," he sighed, clapping his hands together, "Jikan and I were just about to head back to the arena to watch the rest of the competition. I'd imagine you'd have to get back there too. So if you'll excuse us—..."

"No." Tenko's firm voice cut him off. I looked back to see Tenko's jaw clenched and his eyes shooting daggers at Dabi. "She's not going with you."

"Tenko—...," I began, but I was cut off with a gasp as he grabbed my wrist and pulled me beside him.

Dabi reflexively reached out but I shook my head. "It's alright. Just go back to our seats and I'll meet you there soon," I say with reassurance, trying to seem calm even when my nerves were screaming about how I wasn't.

I held steady eye contact with him for several moments, trying not to let my fearful emotions show as Tenko held my wrist tight. I had dug myself a hole, and now there was no getting out of it. I needed to deal with this now before I dug that hole any deeper.

Slowly, Dabi gave a slight nod. He lifted his mask further up the bridge of his nose before turning around, hobbling away on his crutches once again.

I didn't dare look at Tenko as we silently waited for Dabi to finish his way down the hall. Once he was out of sight, I opened my mouth to speak, but Tenko began walking, pulling me behind him before I could.

"Tenko, I know what this looks like but honestly I have a good reason," I began to ramble as I struggled to keep up with him. "And I just want to say that I'm really really really... Where are we going?"

Tenko stopped in front of a door, not even looking at me as he opened it, revealing a dim supply closet. There were mops, vacuums, cobwebs—definitely not the most appealing place.

"Go in."

"What?"

"Go in," Tenko ordered, swinging me inside.

I stumbled inside before turning back to look at him with a glare. "Jeez! Quit being so rough."

He slammed the door behind us and I suddenly felt hyper aware of my surroundings. I stood upright, pulling a couple strands of stray, silver hairs out of my face. I cleared my throat before speaking. "You don't seem all that surprised to see me."

"You read my messages." Tenko pulled out his phone before pulling up our text thread, presenting me with the read receipt I had left him. "I wasn't too surprised when I saw you walking around the sports festival. You always talked about wanting to go to it."