Chapter 45

"You can come out now. Tenko-kun is gone," Kitsui-san called. Hesitantly, I pushed up from

the hospital bed and pulled back the curtains separating Dabi and I from Kitsui-san. I helped Dabi as he struggled to get up.

I made a quick, unsure glance around the room before slowly approaching Kitsui-san, avoiding the mangled sight of her leg.

"Thank you," I say. "You're handling the pain really well."

"I can't feel my leg anymore," she winced. "It's okay though. I'm sure Recovery Girl can fix it. She can fix anything."

I couldn't help but notice her knotted eyebrows and her clouded eyes. She was clearly in a lot of pain, but appearances were more important to her than letting her insecure emotions show.

For several moments of silence, I exchanged a glance with Dabi. He nodded. He seemed to know the question that was lingering on my mind. He spoke for me.

"How do you know Jikan?" he asks.

Kistui-san blinked twice, looking for the right words. She then cleared her throat, pulling a strand of her long, flowy hair behind her ear. Even in her damaged state, she still looked dramatically attractive. Her intentional and calculated manner—I thought back to how Tenko talked to her and treated her.

"I've seen... pictures of you. Tenko-kun showed me. I guess I didn't actually know you." She looked down at her perfectly manicured nails, nervously picking at them. "He says you ran away. He really wants you back. He wants to find you. It's desperate... almost manic the way he acts."

"What—..." I began, but Recovery Girl walked into the room.

She paused when she noticed Dabi and I standing there. Instead of questioning us, she only shrugged. "I have collected several more patients since I left. I have a lot of work to do," she chuckled.

"Are you two students here?" she asked, walking past Dabi and I to start healing Kistui-san's legs. Within moments, the leg began to regain its natural, white color, its red sores disappearing almost instantly.

"Yes," Kistui-san answers for us. "Jikan Ushiromuki and uh..." She didn't know Dabi's name and failed to come up with one. She merely gave a haughty snort as Recovery Girl continued to heal her leg. "Of course they're students! They're part of the general studies so they don't get injured as often. That must be why you haven't seen them." Along with hero courses, U.A. had different courses as well, one of them being general studies.

"Ah, yes. I've heard Shimura-kun mention Ushiromuki-chan several times before," Recovery Girl recalled as she gave a warm smile in my direction. How often did Tenko talk about me that even the school nurse knew my name?

I watched as Kitsui-san gave a salty grin in response. "Yes. He just goes on and on about her, doesn't he?"

Kitsui-san gave a sigh of relief, her scrunched up face relaxing as her leg appeared to be fully healed. She went to stand up again but Recovery Girl immediately stopped her. "I've done most of the work, but your leg still needs more time to heal. You'll have to rest here for the remainder of the competition," Recovery Girl informed her.

Kitsui-san plopped back down again with an exasperated groan, throwing her hands in the air with frustration. "I knew you were gonna say that, old lady."

Recovery Girl only clicked her tongue in response before turning to Dabi. "And what seems to be the problem with you?" she asked, her voice cheery and bright. I didn't know how she managed to stay so delightful even with Kitsui-san egging her on.

Dabi lifted up his pants to reveal his leg. "It's turned to stone. It happened because of a... quirk experiment," he said vaguely. Recovery Girl looked at the leg with pursed lips, deep in thought. She tapped it and Dabi flinched. With that, she smiled.