Chapter 40

I made it back home to my apartment, tracking the hours to make sure I arrived at a reasonable time that made it seem like I had been at school all day. If my mother and Hana found out about my "bullying" experience, they'd probably find out about Dabi too, and I didn't want that.

Plus, I wanted to prove those Hosu idiots wrong. They wouldn't kick me out of that school in one day and I was going to show them.

Once I had reached the door, it was only then I realized I had left all my stuff at school. I hadn't even realized my umbrella was still hung up on my desk with my bag. I was too busy conjuring up a plan for the U.A. sports festival and running away from evil students.

"I'm home!" I called as I entered the house and slipped off my shoes. I walked over to the kitchen sink where I wrung my sopping wet hair and some of my shirt. Hana walks into the room with a yawn.

She paused when she saw my current state. "Gosh, Jikan. You shouldn't go running out in the rain like that. You can get sick y'know," Hana said matter-of-factly. She then noticed the mud smudged all over me and stained my clothes. "Did you go rolling around in the dirt or something?"

I looked at her with an unimpressed look, trying to bite back the tears stinging my eyes. I didn't want my sister to see how much the whole situation hurt. Her and my mother already worry for me too much.

"I tripped on the way home. No biggie," I shrug as I head back to the room to change into fresh clothes.

Hana called after me. "Mom went out to buy groceries, but when she comes back we're gonna all head out to dinner. Nothing is better than pho on a rainy day, huh?" she cheered as I picked out a new outfit. I simply hummed in response.

I found a brown puffer jacket and slipped it over a simple white T with navy blue jeans. I brushed out my tangled and damp hair before braiding it into two simply dutch braids. Even though my looks had been evening out, I still applied minimal bits of makeup to my face. Once I looked in the mirror, I noticed my face looked sunken and mascara was crawling down my cheeks. I scoffed before grabbing a makeup wipe and wiping it all off.

The face I saw in the mirror was now familiar, more than ever. All these years I had been growing up as a past me, but now I was getting older and more like myself before I regressed. It was a little encouraging to say the least, knowing that I was catching up with myself.

I walked out to see my sister lying on her stomach on the couch kicking her feet and giggling as she looked at her phone. I knew that look anywhere. Clearly, it was a boy. I walked over and plopped down on the floor next to her, leaning on the couch with a sly smirk.

"Who are you texting?" I asked.

"Aho Bakane," she giggled without hesitation.

My smirk immediately disappeared. Aho Bakane. That jerk of a fiancé Hana had in my past life. Luckily, by this time, Hana shouldn't be dating him. But it was still odd that they had both ended up meeting each other. Before I regressed, Hana and Aho had met back in Shizuoka city. How had they met again an hour north, all the way in Hosu city? Somehow, the situation seemed entirely suspicious and uncoincidental.

Anyway, just like in my past life, it was my goal to break them up. Aho Bakane was horrible to Hana, and I didn't want her to go through that again.

I cleared my throat, careful of how I worded my next few lines. "Are you sure Aho is all that great? I mean—what makes him different from all the other boys fawning all over you?" I tried to add an upset tone of voice to my words, to make it seem as if I was just jealous and not interrogative.

She sighed dreamily, shaking her head. "You just don't understand, Jikan," Hana began. I had to force myself from scowling. "He just... He makes me feel like I'm the only girl in the world. The only one that matters, anyway."

I remember this part. My mother and I initially thought Aho Bakane was a gentleman. Maybe not particularly good looking, but he was nice and seemed to treat Hana very well. That was until he became comfortable in the relationship and started acting like Hana was a piece of garbage. It was awful.

"You're blinded by love, Hana," I scoffed and she glared at me. "Get to know him better before you go on drooling all over him. Be less ready to trust," I warned.

Hana dropped her phone on the couch and sat upright. "What do you know? You've never been in love like I have!" she accused, her voice rising with anger.

I flinched. But the worst part was, she was right. Hana and I were never short of boys liking us. We were both constantly asked for our numbers, or a chance to go on a date with either of us. But, the difference between Hana and I was, she would take those dates and take those numbers, while I would strictly decline them.

Every once in a while I'd go on a blind date, but then always find it dreary and miserable afterwards. The truth was, I had never been in a relationship or had any sort of boyfriend.

Even so, I hadn't been living with Hana all these years. She shouldn't know if I had ever loved someone or not.

"I'm just saying, something about Aho is weird. He's suspicious. You should just be careful," I warned, more edge in my voice than I was meaning to add.

"You've never even met him, how do you know?"

"I... uh...," I trailed off, trying to think of an excuse, but luckily I heard the door to the apartment open, indicating my mother was home. "Mom!" I exclaimed with a sigh of relief, getting up and running over to her.

We twirled into a hug as she dropped her bags to the floor. I snuggled my face into her soft brown hair. It wasn't until I pulled out from the hug that I noticed the look of worry written through the creases in her forehead and her furrowed eyebrows.

"Is something wrong?" I asked. I then peered past her shoulder, out into the open doorway.

There stood my father.