Chapter 53

"Happy birthday, Jikan!"

Today was my twentieth birthday. For my sister Hana, it was just any other birthday. I was a little bit older, and every birthday she and I would go out to eat at this nice steak place in Hosu. She cut into her steak after finishing her happy birthday wishes to me, a bright smile on her face as I kept glancing down at my phone.

For the first time in years, ever since the incident at U.A., Tenko texted me. I hadn't opened the message yet, but for some reason, I had an odd feeling it was something bad. It frightened me, but at the same time I was itching to reply. I almost did, before Hana began talking again.

"So," she said through a mouth full of food, "how was work today?" I jumped, my eyes darting back to her.

"Work... It was good. It was fine." I had picked up a new job as a waitress at a restaurant to help pay for our bills. It was difficult. In my previous life, my other job definitely made a lot more money and Hana and I were able to live comfortably. But, in this life, I had received an inadequate education as I focused most of my life on Tenko, so I struggled to find a high paying job. I was already lucky enough to even be working as a waitress.

Hana gave me an unsatisfied glance. "Gee, you sure are lively today. Are you sure nothing's wrong, Jikan?" she questioned, setting her utensils down with a worried stare.

I kept glancing down at my phone. Tenko texted me. I had never really forgotten about him. I always kept up with the news and how he was doing at U.A.. But I guess I had disassociated from the fact that he and I knew each other. It had been years since I last talked to him after all, neither of us making any effort to interact with each other. I thought we had really cut ties, but I guess I was wrong.

"Nothing... Nothing's wrong," I whispered, seemingly in a daze. I then shook my head, trying to snap out of it. "I'm sorry, could you give me a moment?" Without waiting for an answer from Hana, I stood up and pushed in my chair, rushing to the bathroom with my phone.

The chilling bathroom was void of people. I let out a shaky breath and leaned on the sink counter, calming my nerves. Eventually, I worked up the courage to open the text.

"You owe me a wish."

That definitely was not what I was expecting, after so many years of not talking to Tenko. I stared at the message for several silent moments of confusion, contemplating what it could possibly mean. A wish? How childish.

After reeling my mind in what he could have meant, a blur of a memory suddenly came back to me. "If you graduate from U.A. as a pro hero I'll grant you whatever wish you want. How magically motivational does that sound?" I had told Tenko that, right before he left for his first day of school at U.A.. And right before I left to find my mother and sister.

By this time, Tenko had graduated from U.A. and was already a pro hero. I wasn't surprised he had made it that far. He had an amazing quirk. I was beginning to become more and more confident that I had changed the course of Tenko's life and that my sister's life was saved.

Now that I mention it, Dabi has been gone for quite a while as well. A little after I helped him fix his leg, the times he visited me would become further and further apart, and soon enough, he stopped visiting me all together. There hasn't been any news of him committing any crimes in Hosu or any other city for that matter either. He almost seemed to have disappeared. Why did I feel a little sad? He was a villain after all.

I couldn't help but chuckle. Tenko really remembered that? Oh, well. I could just ignore the message. It was pointless anyway. Although it made me sad to brush off Tenko like this, it was for the best. I hadn't involved myself with him all these years, texting him back would just erase all the work I've done.

Besides, he seemed fine without me. He was a pro hero now! Fighting villains and doing what's right. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't proud of him and myself.

I shoved my phone in my pocket with a sad smile before wetting my hands in the sink and splashing a little water on my face. I couldn't keep Hana waiting for too long.

"Sorry, that took so long. I didn't keep you waiting, did...," I trailed off as I realized a third party member had arrived at mine and Hana's steak night. Aho Bakane. My casual smile dropped in an instant. He was sitting next to a giggling Hana, his arm resting over her shoulders. "Bakane-kun," I said through gritted teeth. The amount of disgust I felt whenever I saw Aho was astronomical.

Before I regressed, Hana broke up with Aho once my mother died. I didn't think there was that much of a change from this lifetime than the last, but for some reason when my mother died this time, Hana was unconvinced when I tried to tell her to break up with Aho.

Anyway, how did he even know we were here? Hana didn't tell him, did she?

"Ah, Jikan-chan. Thank you for the warm welcome," Aho said with a toothy grin.

Hana gave a shy smile as I frigidly took my seat with a glare. "He just happened to show up at the restaurant and I invited him to sit with us. Is that alright, Jikan?" she asked, her voice timid. She obviously knew she was in the wrong, letting Aho stay with us on my birthday. Honestly, Aho was probably the person I hated most in the world. Scratch that, it was definitely All for One. But Aho was a close second.

"No, Hana, it's not alright." I then turned to address Aho. "Can you leave? This was supposed to be a private dinner."

"Relax, Jikan-chan!"

"Please call me Ushiromuki-san," I corrected him.

"Sure. I brought you a present. Isn't that payment enough for letting me stay?" he teased. I didn't know the best way to describe it, but his voice almost felt slimy, as if just hearing his words made me feel sticky. Aho then slid a small, nicely wrapped box across the table. At first I didn't reach for it, but Aho nodded at me expectantly. Hana then looked at me with pleading eyes. With a groan, I grabbed the gift.

How did Aho even know it was my birthday? Did Hana tell him? Not only that, how come he prepared a gift for me, but I don't remember him ever getting a gift for Hana on her birthdays.

I shook it next to my ear, trying to hear what was inside. "What is it?" I asked, trying my best not to sound at all curious.

"A surprise. Don't open it yet, though. You gotta wait until you get home." Aho's smile looked like poison. I gave him a suspicious glance before shoving the box in my coat pocket. Hana's expression softened. She must have been glad we got along, if even for a moment. I rolled my eyes.

With a slight grumble, I turned back to my steak, aggressively cutting into it. I wasn't about to let Aho ruin my twentieth birthday, even if I've had it once before. I tried to start up another conversation, even if the topic was dull. "So, Hana. Did you manage to pick up those vegetables from—..."

"Where were you just now, Jikan-chan?"

"Huh?" I looked up in confusion to find Aho was talking to me once again. "What do you mean?"

"I mean, you were gone for a while. Was something wrong?" His question sounded accusatory, as if he knew something. I furrowed my eyebrows, shifting my sitting position. Aho smirked. "You look uncomfortable. Did I hit a nerve?"

"Aho!" Hana scolded him, slapping his chest slightly.

Aho chuckled. "What? I'm just curious. Is it bad I want to get to know your sister a little more?" he asked innocently. Hana pressed her lips together, instantly quieting down. Gosh, I hate how this guy treated my sister. I felt way too close to snapping.

"I was just in the bathroom. That's all," I said flatly, looking back down to my food. With a clearly obvious glance, Aho's eyes drifted down to my phone that was on the table. In a panicked movement, I slapped my hand on it and pulled it off the table. Aho smiled once again. What was that? Was I on edge? He just glanced at my phone but why did it feel so... pointed.

With a satisfied sigh, Aho pulled away from Hana and stood up. "Well, it was good to see you both. Happy birthday, Jikan-chan," he finished, saying his goodbyes. I stayed silent, but Hana stood up and gave him a kiss on the cheek before Aho departed.

I felt pale, my skin felt cold. He knew something. He definitely knew something. Aho's words and actions were too pointed to be coincidental.