Chapter 28

"Are you wearing your gloves?"

It has become a habit for me to ask that question every day now. Ever since Tenko killed Nezumi-kun several days ago, I wasn't risking anymore destruction.

Tenko lifted his gloved hands up for me to see, the white cloth reflected the morning light filtering into our bedroom. I sighed in relief before turning away. Besides talking to him when necessary, I had been avoiding saying anything to him. Tenko seemed to have noticed, and he was getting upset.

We haven't gone to school since the incident. As much as Tenko loved going to school before, he hadn't once asked when he was going back. I was planning on waiting until Father Chris got back to ask him what to do. Every day I was scared the police would find the blood in the library, they'd trace it back to Tenko and I, and would show up at the church ready to arrest us. But every excruciatingly long day as I waited for Father Chris, they never came.

I was sitting in the kitchen when Tenko walked in. Our eyes met each other. His crimson red eyes held a steady gaze with mine before I quickly got up from the dining table and left the room. I didn't want to be around him right now. I kept my head down as I brushed past him, trying to exit the kitchen. Our shoulders bumped for a split second. A second of guilt, fear, longing. I tried to keep myself from shuddering as I walked out.

My phone rang and I nearly jumped out of my skin as I went to sit in the chapel of the church. I fumbled, almost dropping it in the process of trying to identify the caller. It was Father Chris. I felt like tearing up. I wanted him home. I missed him. Shakily, I answered the call. "Hey, what's up?" I asked, trying to keep my voice from shaking.

"Jikan! I was just checking in," Father Chris's elderly voice rang through the phone. "I got a call from the school saying you and Tenko haven't gone to school for the past couple of days." I cleared my throat, closing my eyes as I tried to think of an excuse. I lied to Father Chris too much and I hated it. I wanted to tell him the truth, but I didn't know what that would mean for Tenko.

"Yes...," I quietly and hesitantly responded, not even attempting an excuse.

Father Chris noticed something was up. He always did. "Jikan, is everything all right?" he asked worriedly.

A sad smile etched on my face. "Yeah, Tenko and I just haven't been feeling well."

"Are you both sick? I'll return right away—..." Father Chris began to ramble but I cut him off.

"No, no. You have fun on your vacation, we're alright. Don't worry. If the school calls you again just tell them we won't be back for a while," I explained calmly, running a hand through my long silver hair.

There were several moments of silence on the other line before Father Chris sighed and responded. "Okay. I will. I have to go. You two try to get better and please be safe." He then hung up and I slowly brought my phone down from my ear before a shadow loomed over me.

I looked up to see Tenko standing behind me and I nearly screamed in shock before getting up from the pew and backing away. "You scared me," I breathed, trying to laugh it off. But he really did scare me. "I'm just gonna..." I trailed off as I began to walk out of the chapel but Tenko followed me.

"Where are you going?" he asked, a couple paces behind me as I made my way to our bedroom.

I waved him off with my hand, not looking back at him. "Why are you following me?" I asked, trying to evade the panic creeping in my voice.

"You said we were best friends. I thought best friends stuck together," Tenko replied, dead-pan. I did admit to him that he was my best friend, but now at the same time, he was my only friend.

I stopped in the middle of a hallway in the back of the church. I heard Tenko stop behind me. "Honestly, I just need a little bit of a break. Is that okay?"

Tenko sighed. "You've been ignoring me for the past couple of days. You've had your break. Can't we have a conversation?" His voice almost now sounded like he was begging. Guilt hit me again.

Suddenly, I felt a hand on my shoulder and I whipped my head around to look at him only to find we were barely meters apart. My breathing became heavy. He looked threatening. He looked like Shigaraki.

"O-Okay, I'll have a conversation with you," I quickly sputtered out, jerking my head back. "What do you want to talk about?"

A smile split across his face as his hand slid from one shoulder to the other, his arm wrapping over my neck. "Anything. I just want you to talk to me," he whispered as he leaned his forehead into my hair. I felt his lips brush against my ear and I gasped, the tip of my ear turning hot.

"Uh-Uhm! We're probably going to have to start some training if you want to get into U.A. High school. We could start going to the gym and—..." I began to ramble, trying to avoid thinking of how close we were but then I was cut off.

Tenko had bit my ear and I gasped even louder this time, pulling away with a shocked expression. My entire face was red, and I think Tenko noticed as he chuckled slightly, shoving his hands in his pockets.

"What are you doing? You just said you wanted to talk?" I nearly yelled as I cupped a hand over my ear. It was embarrassing how flustered I was, and I didn't want him to see it. I looked down, my gray gaze darting around the floor in a panic.

"I couldn't help myself. I wanted a hug. You haven't let me touch you in the past couple of days. It makes me feel unwanted," Tenko whined, putting on a very amused pout.

I pointed an accusatory finger at him. "That was not a hug! Where'd you learn to do that?" He seemed to be going more insane everyday. I needed to remind him what our goal was. It was for him to become a pro hero.

I turned around, stomping to our bedroom, trying to wipe the blush off of my cheeks. My eyes were wide with embarrassment as I heard Tenko suppress a laugh behind me.

With a groan, I threw open the bedroom door and rushed inside, slamming the door shut. I was panicked and confused. Sometimes the look Tenko gave me was that of Shigaraki. A look that wanted to kill me, just like he did with Nezumi-kun. But other times, Tenko gave me a look of hunger and obsession. I didn't like either of them, and I didn't want to know what either one meant.

This confusion awfully almost made me forget that he just murdered a human being. Almost. I don't think I'd ever really forget.

______________

Hello!

I wanted to apologize again that I haven't been updating as frequently as I've used to. I've had school and stuff and it's been hard to stay frequent :(

Anyhow, yet again ANOTHER time skip next chapter. Yes, I know. That is a lot of time skips. And there's probably gonna be a couple more... But! It's all for the character development! Woo!

~littlesharpsword