Chapter 20

"Jikan. We're going to the hospital."

"What?" I was sitting in my room back in Shizuoka city, scrolling through social media. I was eighteen, an almost graduated high school student. My skin was clear, my body lean, and my hair wavy. I looked young and beautiful.

"The doctor called. Mom's cancer is in critical condition," Hana choked, trying to hold back a waterfall of tears. She was twenty at the time, and engaged. Super young, I know. But that's what happens when you're unemployed, beautiful, and looking for a working husband.

Jumping up from my bed, I pulled on my coat and shoes and rushed outside with Hana. The two of us rushed to the train station to try and make it to the hospital before it was too late.

I leaned my head on the window of the train as Hana sat across from me. It looked like she wanted to say something, so I spoke first.

"What is it?" I asked. My voice was monotone. As if, when I showed any emotion the world would come caving in. I tried to keep the idea of my mom dying, trying to focus on my own breathing.

"Aho is meeting us there," she breathed, her voice barely a whisper. I shot a glare at her.

"Aho?! Your fiancé? You know mom hates his guts. He's an idiot. He's only gonna stress everyone out more," I nearly shouted. A couple people in the train turned to look at me as Hana tried to quiet me down.

"He's going to be a part of the family soon, he needs to be there. In a couple of months he'll even be your brother-in-law!" Hana shot back. I rolled my eyes, turning to look back out the window.

I wasn't being dramatic. Aho really was an idiot. He was rich, sure. But he treated my sister like garbage and my mom like a house servant. He was crazy ugly, too. I hated him. My sister deserved so much better.

When we arrived at the hospital, we rushed straight to the room our mom was staying at. We knew the way by heart, as we visited her almost every other day. The doctors told us the cancer was getting better. The doctors told us that she would be out and about in a few weeks. They told us we'd never have to see a whiff of cancer ever again after this.

But when we arrived at her room, it looked like she was half dead. Her normally full and smiling face was caved inward, her mouth covered by an air mask. Eyebags plagued her glazed over eyes, her hair the texture of dying wheat.

The moment we saw her, Hana and I both started crying. We had never seen her look this bad. Plugs and tubes were hooked up to her boney body. She looked like a lab experiment.

I ran over and knelt next to her hospital bed, wailing. "Mom! Are you okay?" I sobbed. Hana stood next to me, wailing as well. My mom looked at us with tired concern.

"Stop crying!" she scolded. "You're going to wake up the entire hospital!" Hana and I both sucked in our tears as we held onto her skinny left hand. She was using her quirk. Her quirk allowed her to heat up parts of her body, and when you felt it, you would be energized and in a better mood. It was comforting. Hana had the same quirk as well, but when my mother did it I felt so much better.

"They said you were going to be alright," Hana whispered, silent tears rolled down her cheek. "They said you would be out in a few weeks."

"Ha... I know, I know," my mother's weak voice croaked. I gently pushed away her hand.

"Stop using your quirk," I demanded. "It's making you weaker." Hana nodded in agreement and my mother slowly stopped.

"How was school today, Jikan—...?" A coughing fit cut my mother off. It looked painful. Hana and I panicked as a nurse came rushing in.