Chapter 36

The door led into a kitchen, presumably a sushi restaurant. Chefs were dicing fish, mixing ingredients, and the moment we stepped in, all of their busy heads snapped towards us.

I froze, still holding Dabi's coat. "Uh, hi?" I waved shyly. Then, somebody screamed.

"It's Dabi!" they screamed. "The villain! He's here!"

Immediately, the two of us ran through the kitchen, pushing our way past chefs. I tripped over myself knocking over several metal bowls. The clattering noise they made was annoyingly loud. But, I continued running, with Dabi straight behind me.

He laughed. I turned back to glare at him as we made our way through the large kitchen. "What's so funny?" I snorted.

"Nothing, nothing," he excused, muting his laughter. "This is just not how I expected our reunion to be."

"Reunion? I still don't get it, when have I ever met you before—...?"

"Hey! Stop right there!" We had made it to the other side of the kitchen and I looked over Dabi's shoulder to see that a couple of police officers had entered through the door we came through.

"Crap," I muttered, before grabbing Dabi's sleeve and pushing through the metal kitchen doors. We were let out into a fancy sushi restaurant. It looked expensive. Chandeliers hung from the wall, the waiters were dressed and dapper, and every customer seemed to be wearing the most expensive clothes I've ever seen in my life.

Several people turned to look at us, but they were mostly distracted by their fancy foods, taking pictures and chattering amongst themselves. I took this chance to sneak around the outskirts of the restaurant. The officers barged out of the kitchen, hollering for us to show ourselves, but we were out of sight, hiding behind a couple of pillars.

I exchanged a glance with Dabi, only to realize he had been looking down at me this entire time, and nowhere else. I narrowed my eyes on him. "What's up with you?" I asked in a hushed whisper.

He only chuckled and shook his head, almost as if he was about to say something, but then decided against it.

"You there!" I turned to look. The police had spotted us.

All too soon, Dabi and I were running again, weaving in between tables and screaming guests before making our way to the exit of the restaurant. Once we were back out on the street, the evening light and setting sun cast a golden light across our faces and city buildings. It was a moment of beauty in the chaos as Dabi and I were charging through the streets.

I was about to round a corner when Davi grabbed my shoulder and I looked back at him, startled. He nodded in a different direction. "Follow me. I know a better place," he whispered.

For a moment, I was torn. At this point, it would probably just be better for me to escape from him and turn him intot he police. But, my curiosity killed me. I needed to know how he knew me, and if it had to do with my quirk. Hesitantly, I agreed. Without a spare moment, he grabbed my wrist, I flinched, and he pulled me into another alleyway.

There was a garbage bin against one wall, and it smelt nasty, but we hid behind it anyway. I was sitting up against the wall, my legs curled into my chest, and Dabi was crouching over me, his forearms on either side of my head. He was far too close for comfort.

I looked down, trying to avoid eye contact in this close proximity. His heavy breath was hot on my forehead. Hot. Hot. Hot. I tried to focus on the noise outside. I heard the police running past the alley, shouting mine and Dabi's names. Eventually, the noise died down and they were gone.

Looking up at Dabi, I had expected him by this time to push away, but he was still sitting there looking down at me. I cocked my eyebrow as I looked up at him and he smirked. "Are you gonna move or...?" I offered, shifting uncomfortably in my sitting position.