Chapter 16

I scoffed. Who were these kids to laugh at me for being quirkless? If they only knew my quirk was so amazing that I was able to travel back in time fourteen years, they wouldn't be laughing, I thought.

"Class! Quiet down! This is no way to be treating a new student," Tanaka-sensei yelled, and the class instantly went silent. Tanaka-sensei really held power over them. She must have a scary reputation.

Tanaka-sensei wore her jet black hair in a tight bun, and a blouse with a gray pencil skirt. Her face was pointed, square glasses sitting on her long nose. She already looked frightening, but I was yet to get a true taste of her rumored personality. "Ushiromuki-san, you may take a seat."

Quietly, with my head held high, I walked to my seat and sat back down again. As I did, the girl with the long nails gave me a satisfied smirk, and the tigress Hensou-san didn't look at me. I was already giving myself a taste of my own medicine, just like how I poked fun at quirkless kids when I was in middle school before.

Eventually, classes were over and it was time for lunch. I had finally realized why kids hated Tanaka-sensei. She was annoyingly strict and didn't have a single sense of humor.

I walked down to the first floor where the first years were, looking for Tenko. It wasn't hard to spot him. He already had a posse of girls crowding around him, and a couple of jealous stares from other boys. The crowd of girls were giggling and gently hitting him in the shoulder. Tenko seemed a little uncomfortable and it made me snicker.

When Tenko spotted me, he waved and a wide smile split across his face. "Jikan! Over here!" he called. Immediately the girls went silent, all whipping their heads to look at me. I noticed a few scowls. They were probably angry that I was withdrawing Tenko's attention from them.

Quickly, I dashed over, relieved to see him. Honestly, school had already worn me out, even if I was excited to learn. I was just struggling socially, which was unusual for me.

"Tenko! How was class?" I asked as I came face to face with him. One girl stepped halfway in between us, forcing me to look at her.

"Who are you? Why are you on a first name basis with Shimura-kun?" the girl prodded. I glanced at Tenko, then at her. Who did this girl think she was? I was honestly way sick of these middle school kids. I was too mature for their antics.

"I'm Jikan Ushiromuki," I began, eyeing her up and down, obvious enough so she would notice the clear judgment. "And Tenko here," I wrapped my arm around his shoulders, pulling him close, "is my friend."

Tenko's face grew red as I smirked at the girl's frustrated expression. "What's your name, kid?" I asked.

"Sora Honda," she responded haughtily. "Seriously who do you think you are—..."

"Y'know," I cut her off, "I am a second year student. I'm older than you. You should be respectfully calling me 'Ushiromuki-senpai'."

Honda-san's face turned beet red. I had embarrassed her. A couple of other girls snickered and exchanged whispers. Honda-san was undeniably pretty. She had short, brown curled hair and amber eyes, with pale, perfect skin. She probably wasn't used to the embarrassment. With a growl, she stomped off.

I pulled Tenko closer and whispered into his ear. "These girls really are obsessed with you. It must be because you're super cute," I teased. A couple girls heard, their mouths dropped, and they looked at me wide eyed. Other girls squealed at our close contact. We probably looked like a couple. I thought it was funny.

Tenko pulled away, his face bright pink. "Stop calling me that," he muttered under his breath, his jaw tense.

"Anyway, wanna go eat lunch?" I inclined, ignoring his last demand. Tenko looked from his left, then to his right, shyly nodded, and the two of us walked off. The other girls stood there watching us, bewildered.

We found a spot in the courtyard of the school. It was surprisingly quiet. I assumed most kids probably sat and ate in their classrooms, or inside the building in general to avoid bugs attacking their food outdoors.

The two of us sat on a wooden bench, green trees and pink sakuras shading the area. We pulled out our bento boxes, which Father Chris had prepared for us. He really had become an excellent cook since he began raising two kids.

I chewed on the tamagoyaki, Father had packed and it was a moment of pure happiness. It made me reminisce on past school lunches I had eaten before I regressed. "Can I have yours?" I asked, my mouth full as I pointed at Tenko's tamagoyaki.

He nodded and I picked it up with my chopstick and shoved it in my mouth. "How is your first day of school?" he pried, and I quickly swallowed my food before answering.

"Hm. It's okay...," I trailed off, kicking my feet as I looked up at the sky. "I never knew being quirkless was such a big joke."

"See! That's what I was worried about!" Tenko immediately responded. I turned to look at him, seeing a stressed look on his face. "Back in elementary school, all the kids made fun of others who were quirkless. I didn't of course... but I knew you would have trouble if you started coming to school and—..."

"Tenko." I put a hand on his shoulder, silencing him. "I'm fine, really. I don't care if they make fun of me for being quirkless, I really don't." Slowly, Tenko nodded, turning away again and continuing to eat his lunch.

I sighed. "So, you never got the chance to answer me before because of that girl, Honda-san. How was class?"

"Good," Tenko answered after he had swallowed. "Being top of my class definitely has its benefits. Everybody wants to talk to me and stuff."

I laughed. "Right, everybody wants to be your friend because you are top of your class. Not for any other reasons." Tenko was a cute kid, he just hadn't realized it yet.

"Quit saying stuff like that," Tenko murmured as his face turned red again. "It makes me embarrassed."

"I only say it because it's true!" I replied, poking him lightly in the cheek. He swatted me away after running a hand through his shaggy hair. I smiled.

"Hey, wanna go to the mall after school? As a celebration for our first day of middle school?" I asked, excitedly.

Tenko nodded. "There's been this comic shop there that I've been really wanting to check out. It has some cool new All Might merch." As always, Tenko was still obsessed with heroes. He still wasn't tired of his dream of becoming a pro hero, and it made me smile.

"Sounds like a deal!" I concluded, fist bumping him before turning to my lunch, finishing it up. A bell rang, indicating it was time to go back to class. "Meet me at the front entrance after school. Bye, Tenko!" I waved as I got up and walked away.

"Bye, Jikan! See you after school!" he called as he disappeared into the school building. I walked up stairs back to my classroom just to be stared down by every second year I saw. Most of them weren't even in the same class as me, but I guess rumors got around.

Honestly, I couldn't be the only quirkless student here, right? Have any of you never seen somebody without a quirk? Just because you were born with a little extra luck doesn't mean you're better than somebody who didn't end up with the same luck you did! I thought frustratedly.

I couldn't wait for the mall trip with Tenko. It seemed so far away.