Chapter 44

The first competition was a race. All the students left the stadium and exited towards a race track that encompassed most of the school. It had obstacles such as giant robots, geographical obstacles, and mine fields. Giant television screens appeared about the colosseum through slots in the ground, broadcasting every part of the race that we couldn't see. Every once in a while it would focus on Guro-san or Kitsui-san's face, some of U.A.'s previously mentioned best students, then on Tenko's face again. My heart beat a little faster every time I saw it.

All of the students were crowded behind a giant white line, each trying to push their way in front of each other without crossing the line. Present Mic's voice spoke loudly. "Whoever gets to the end first gets the most points! Students who get there later get points scaled lower from the original amount of points!" he screamed.

"Ready. Set. Go!"

Cheers boomed from the crowds as the students took off, eager to be the first one at the finish line. I was sure the students could hear our screams from there.

I leaned over to Dabi who shifted in his seat as our shoulders touched. "Now we wait," I whisper. "Whoever gets injured first, we follow them." He nods slowly, keeping his eyes trained on the screen.

The students were all running, their gym clothes morphing them together into a big blue mob. Some used their quirks to allow them to speed in front of the other students, splitting them off from the group. One of them was Tenko. In the middle of the mob several students jumped out of the way, tripping as the ground tore apart in front of them. There in the center was Tenko. The newly frightened students all moved out of the way as he shoved himself past them, pulling ahead.

Kitsui-san was using her quirk to help her swing ahead. Suddenly the cameras cut to her face of horror as she quickly sliced the string coming from her wrists and a large shadow cast over her as she rolled to the floor, sputtering from the impact.

The first obstacle: two giant robots. They seemed to be as tall as a three story building. Where U.A. got the technology for this? I have no idea.

The two robots were identical, a mix of something humanoid and a war tank. One lifted a fist and I gasped as it came hurtling downwards where Kitsui-san was crouched. Luckily, she used her quirk to swing her out of the way, just in time. It was a heart propelling moment, everybody's eyes went wide.

"Incredible Kitsui-san with her incredible escape! As expected of one of U.A.'s students!" Present Mic hollered. The crowd hollered in response.

But just as we were all relieved and shifting back into our seats, the robot swung around, towards Kitsui-san who was now racing to the next obstacle, unaware of her surroundings.

Another first swung towards her. It wasn't until it was a foot away from her that she noticed the shadow looming over her. She flipped around but there was nowhere to run. It was too late.

That was until, with a flash of shaggy blue hair, Tenko ran in and pushed her out of the way. I bit back a scream as the two of them stumbled onto the floor, into a cloud of dust and the fist came slamming down, shaking the earth below it.

If anyone got injured today, I didn't want it to be Tenko. Anyone but Tenko. Please, not Tenko.

A wail of pain sounded out from the TV screens. It was a girl's voice. Kitsui-san's. Dabi was unmoving beside me while I winced. When the dust settled it showed Tenko holding Kitui-san in his arms. Both of them were sprawled on the floor. Kitsui-san's legs were mangled and bloody.

A child started crying behind me. I looked over to see an unsympathetic smile split across Dabi's face.

"She's our ticket," he smiles.