Chapter 22

A teacher had caught Henshin-kun and I. My knees felt shaky. I had never been in trouble for something like this before. What if Tenko and Father Chris found out that I was suspected of smoking? What would they think of me then?

I looked up at Henshin-kun, wondering how he was handling our sudden doom. He simply looked calm. "Why are you being so chill about this?" I asked him in a hushed whisper. "We might be suspended! Or even expelled!" Maybe I was being dramatic. But I was still worried.

He shrugged. "I never liked school that much, so why would I care?" Henshin-kun then peered down at me and smiled. "Besides, I'm not the one holding a cigarette. You are."

It was then I noticed the cigarette he had buried was still in my hand. "Wha—..." A firm hand grasped my shoulder, turning me towards them.

"A cigarette? Really, Ushiromuki-san?" It was Tanaka-sensei. She must be on break because she was only a homeroom teacher, and if I remembered correctly our class would be learning math right about now. "The school was reluctant to even let you in because you had no previous education, but now you just decide to throw it all away by ditching class and smoking?!" she practically screeched.

"I-I—...," I stuttered profusely. I didn't know what to say. Normally, I didn't have a problem standing up for myself. But like Henshin-kun had said previously, I looked a little insane right about now. A part of me doubted that the mean and cruel Tanaka-sensei would believe a word that came out of my mouth.

Henshin-kun sighed, stepping over next to me. Tanaka-sensei's glare turned towards him. "Ah, I should have expected you, Henshin-san. You were one of my worst students last year," she sneered, her nose pointed nose twitching with anger.

"Wow, you didn't need to say that to my face," he sighed. Tanaka-sensei's eyes widened with offended shock.

"Both of you! Office! Now!" Tanaka-sensei screamed. I watched as several students poked their heads outside their classroom windows to look at us, all throughout the walls of the building that faced the courtyard. Every eye was on us. My reputation was even more ruined than it was before.

Before I knew it, Henshin-kun and I were standing side by side in the cold air of the teacher's office, right in front of Tanaka-sensei's desk. She was currently flipping through papers, inferably our profiles. Her sharp eyes were squinted as she slowly and carefully read them over. My knees felt like they could buckle underneath me. I never got in trouble like this previously, not even before I regressed. Maybe because I always had the chance to go back one minute in time and avoid getting into any trouble, if I had the chance.

"Psst." Henshin-kun was leaning sideways, whispering to me while keeping his gaze on the teacher. I swatted him away. I didn't want to get in even more trouble than I already was. He rolled his eyes and leaned in closer. "Psst!" he whispered again, this time louder.

"Shut up!" I whispered back, pushing his face away.

"Don't you wanna hear what I have to say?" he muttered, talking through my hand that was shoved on his face. I felt his lips brush against my palm as he spoke. I shivered and pulled my hand away.

"Ew," I spat as I wiped my hand on my skirt. Henshin-kun was still staring at me, expectantly waiting for an answer. I reluctantly responded. "Make it quick."

A small smirk appeared on his face revealing his two buck teeth. "I can get us out of this if you agree to do me a couple of favors."

I blinked at him several times. "Come again?" I asked in confusion.

"Homework. I honestly suck at school, I don't get a thing. If you do my homework and help me study a little I can get us out of this," he whispered urgently. The idea seemed appealing. I was honestly good at school, granted that I had already been through this education twice, and I didn't mind having a little extra work to do. But I still had a bit of doubt. Would he really be able to help me, or was it really worth it?