Chapter 26

WARNING: This chapter contains disturbing imagery.

"You don't look so good, Jikan-chan," Henshin-kun audibly noticed as I slowly fumbled my way through his homework, trying to muster the energy to solve the rest of his math problems. By this time, Henshin-kun and I had started calling each other by our first names. I would call him Nezumi-kun and he'd call me Jikan-chan.

Last night, I didn't get any sleep at all. I didn't know how a person spent an hour sitting on those pews for mass, they were as hard as a rock. I yawned. My eyebags were deep and droopy, surprisingly worse than Henshin-kun's eye bags.

"I noticed," I grumbled, my eyes glued to the homework as I tried to force myself awake. "I didn't get much sleep last night. I've barely made it through the school day," I complained.

"This doesn't have anything to do with last night, does it?" he asked, shifting in his seat. Like always, we sat in the dimly lit back corner of the library.

I cocked an eyebrow, looking at him with a sarcastic face that obviously said "duh" as I paused doing his homework. Nezumi-kun sighed.

"Hey, y'know, I've been thinking. You don't really have to do my homework anymore, this whole favor thing is getting kinda old," Nezumi-kun suggested as he got another concerned look at my drained aura.

"Woo! I was hoping you'd say that!" I exclaimed, immediately dropping the pencil I was working with and getting up to stretch. "Is it because we're friends now?" I teased in between stretches. "Do you feel guilty?"

Nezumi-kun chuckled, leaning back in his chair as he looked up at me. "Yes, actually, I did feel guilty. Is that so bad?"

"Unexpected from the rebellious Nezumi-kun, but no, it's not that bad at all," I smiled as I finished stretching and began to clean up his papers.

He got up to help me. "I still need help with studying, though," Nezumi-kun mentioned as he stacked books. "But don't feel like you need to."

"Don't worry, I'll help. I've got nothing better to do while I sit here waiting for Tenko to finish soccer practice," I shrugged. Speaking of which... My eyes drifted towards the clock, wondering if Tenko was out by now. It was past the time soccer ended, he would be coming up to the library any time now. I glanced at Nezumi-kun. Right now wasn't the best time for either of them to see each other again, in case Tenko had another fit. "Nezumi-kun, you can head out. I'll finish cleaning up all these books and stuff—..."

"Jikan." It was too late. Tenko was already here. Nezumi-kun looked past me and I sighed, turning around to see him standing there, carrying his sports bags and in his dirt covered sports uniform.

"Tenko! I was just about to go and get you!" I said as I gave an exhausted smile.

Tenko's eyes drifted past me towards Nezumi-kun. "You're with him again?" he asked, his voice entirely monotone.

"I was tutoring him, like always—..."

"After everything I said last night? Did you not listen to any of it?" Tenko asked, his voice becoming more aggressive as he spoke.

Nezumi-kun began to walk away again, trying to quietly dismiss himself, but I stopped him, grabbing him by the wrist. I was shaking. I was scared. I shouldn't be scared of Tenko, he was just a boy. But I knew what he could become, and that's what scared me most. Nezumi-kun paused, looking at my faltered expression and he froze, standing his ground.

"Tenko," I slowly began, "I did listen to you, I heard everything you said. But, you can't expect me to keep me from having any friends. That's too far."

"He's not a friend!" Tenko began to yell, motioning to Nezumi-kun. I was thankful nobody else was in the library. I didn't want anybody to see Tenko like this. "I'm your friend! He's just a disgusting rat that's taking you away from me!"