Chapter 61

Since that day, Tenko had not contacted me since. Once again, our lives were completely separate. But I was always left with the looming threat of him appearing once again, coming to claim his wish. I was also left with the looming threat of All for One, and unknowingness of whatever he was planning. During my last phone call with Tenko, I had planned to question him about his relationship with All for One and the rest of the villains, but it had conveniently slipped my mind as he once again brought up his worrisome wish.

It had been two years since then, and Japan had been strangely at peace. More and more big time villains were committing less crimes, slinking back into the shadows. Heroes were being put out of jobs. They were more of just public figures now, rather than a means of safety. The only villains left were petty criminals, and the police force could easily deal with them. News stations were reporting less on crimes and more on exactly how peaceful Japan had become. People were at ease. Everyone could go about their day to day, never worrying if they would be put out of jobs because their office got smashed in during a battle. No longer worrying if it would be safe for their kid to walk to school by themself that day.

In a world where a miraculous 80% of the population had quirks, there were bound to be several who would turn to evil. But now, those that were evil weren't being evil. They were simply gone.

But I knew they were planning something. The pro heroes knew it too. They just weren't telling anybody because they didn't want them to worry. Several times I attempted to contact Aida-chan to ask how progress was on the investigation, but to her, I was just like every other innocent civilian of Japan. "It's going well," she would say. "We're making progress. Don't worry about it." It frustrated me. I wanted to help. I could help. But nobody wanted to listen. After all, I was a quirkless nobody, wasn't I?

Except, the day that I regressed, and the day that Hana died, was quickly approaching. It was less than a month from now. I was twenty-two years old now, and I looked about the same as that day. The same wavy haircut, with curtain bangs and middle part. I had grown into my features, my jawline accentuated and my nose fitting my face. Perhaps I should have been proud. But the feeling just made me sick to my stomach.

I didn't know what to expect that day—if anything. My quirk was so mysterious. I had managed to travel back in time sixteen years, when I only knew I could travel back one minute. Not to mention how it managed to duplicate my father's quirk when All for One took it in the life before. Who knew what my quirk could do that day?

Hana seemed to notice my impending distress. "Hey, are you alright?" She approached me, using her quirk and placing a warming hand on my upper back. The weather was chilly, and I was standing outside our apartment, looking out over Hosu. My hands fiddled nervously with my black necklace. Surprisingly, that necklace gifted from Aho had become my favorite piece of jewelry. I wore it all the time.

My tense body began to relax as Hana's quirk took effect. "I'm fine," I lied, my voice level. "Why do you ask?"

"Oh, nothing." Hana shook her head, looking out in the distance with me. "Nothing's ever wrong with you, apparently," she then laughed softly to herself. "I didn't know my sister would grow up to be so independent."

I opened my mouth to respond, but I decided against it, my gaze once again drifting off to the setting sun over Hosu. The sky was clear, painting it in a beautiful gradient. Cold air stung my cheeks and bit my nose, making my teeth chatter as I drew in a deep breath. Hana spoke once again, filling in the gap between us. "There's something you're not telling me, Jikan," she said, her eyes trained on me.

"What?" I whispered, feeling caught, turning towards her.

"When you returned, you hardly gave us any real explanation of where you had been all those years. Running away because you were embarrassed that you were quirkless? That was nothing like you. I wanted to ask more, but mom said it was probably already traumatizing enough and that we shouldn't ask until you were ready to share on your own time," Hana said, removing her hand from my back. It once again felt cold. "But it's been, what? Six years now? And you haven't once brought up where you've been or why you ran away in the first place."