Chapter 49

Ever since I left my home at the church, I've hated Sundays. My mom had an odd job she had picked up, cleaning a friend of a friend's house every Sunday, and my sister seemed to always have some sort of date plan with Aho. That meant I was at home, alone, wallowing in my own misery.

Unlike the church on Sunday which was filled with congregations singing hymns, happy and joyful prayers, laughter—the apartment was completely silent and still. The electrical bill and heater bill were getting more and more expensive, so we tried to save money by keeping the lights and air conditioning off whenever possible. So, the apartment always had a dim, sorrowful look cast upon it during the day. Especially since the apartment was wedged in between two other buildings meaning no sunlight could get through any windows.

I waddled into the kitchen, wrapped in a blanket thoughts of the events at U.A. running through my head. Aida-chan and I had exchanged numbers after I returned home from Tokyo last weekend and I haven't received many texts from her. I tried to text her on multiple occasions, asking how the search for Tenko was doing, even asking how she was holding up—But her replies were always curt and insensitive. Any texts regarding Tenko's search ended in a message like "no luck". She clearly didn't want to talk to me. Heartbreak hurts.

I hadn't gone to school in the past week either. When I had gotten home to my mother and Hana, I said I was tired and needed rest and they took it seriously. They told me I should take as long as I needed to recover since the events must have been traumatizing and tragic. I tried to tell myself the events at U.A. weren't as awful as I thought, and I tried to tell my mother I was ready to go back to school, but that didn't convince me or my mother with my greasy hair, sunken eyes, and depressive mood.

Dabi was nowhere to be found either. Although, it is pretty hard to find a villain on the run in Hosu city. I hoped he was alright.

"Didn't Father Chris say times like this were the perfect time to pray?" I murmured, stirring sugar into a cup of instant coffee I had just made. Maybe I would have prayed, if I hadn't scrolled onto the news on my phone.

I nearly spat out my coffee as I saw the top trending news article in Japan.

Missing U.A. student, Tenko Shimura, is back!

I immediately tapped on the article. A link to an interview with Tenko was on it, and I quickly tapped on that as well.

"Hello, Japan! I'm Kristi Kang, and I'm here with one of U.A.'s top students, Tenko Shimura!" Kristi Kang was sitting on a long, spacious couch on one side and Tenko was sitting on the other. He was unharmed and looked surprisingly... normal.

Not to say Tenko never looked normal, but he always had a certain wild, strained look. Now he seemed to look calm, or at peace with himself. For some reason, the latter was much more eerie. His hair was brushed nicely. Whenever I brush his hair, it would be nice for about an hour before it becomes messy and tossed. But somehow, somebody had gotten it to stay in place, long and wavy. He looked dapper, really, dressed all nicely.

"Shimura-kun, we were all surprised when you showed up and reappeared back home unscathed yesterday. Especially after being kidnapped by one of Japan's greatest villains, All for One!" Kristi Kang talked her mouth off. Her face and voice was all very expressive and animated. It almost annoyed me. I wanted to hear what Tenko had to say, not her. "Can you please tell us how this all went down?"

Tenko cleared his throat, putting on a polite smile. "Yes, Kang-san, of course. I'd like to first start by saying that I never once felt in danger when I was with All for One," Tenko began and he then received a confused glance from Kristi Kang.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean to say... Perhaps All for One is getting a bad rap," Tenko slowly clarified. I gasped, Kristi Kang gasped, I'm pretty sure anybody listening to this show right now gasped. What was Tenko going on about?