Chapter 4

To my surprise, Tenko had accepted my idea of him becoming a pro hero immediately. I had just left to retrieve some breakfast for us in the morning. Looking down at my wrist, the three tally marks had not reappeared. I chose not to worry about it, thinking that it was just because I had gone back to a time before I had developed my quirk. I had found a loaf of bread that had been thrown out because it had passed its expiration date and brought it back. Hoping he'd be more receptive to my idea on a full stomach, I handed him the bread eagerly. Turns out, I didn't even need the bread.

"I've always dreamed of becoming a hero," Tenko murmured wistfully. His eyes glimmered with hope. I felt a little proud knowing I was helping this child achieve his childhood dream.

"Perfect!" I exclaimed with excitement. "With your quirk I'm sure you can do it!" I gripped his hands with excitement, and his smile grew.

Turning to the bread, I grabbed a couple of slices and began eating. The bread was stale and hard, but I was hungry. I sat down behind the cardboard boxes and Tenko sat down next to me. After several moments of silence, he spoke up. "Jikan, how do I become a pro hero?"

Right, I should probably tell him my plan, I thought. "When's your sixth birthday?" I asked him.

"April fourth," he replied, grabbing a slice of bread from the loaf and eating with me.

School started on April first, so he could probably enroll into elementary school. Problem was, we needed to get enough money to afford schooling for him. I felt around in my pockets. 100 yen, I confirmed. That was all we had left.

"We're gonna enroll you in school," I said confidently, not mentioning my worries about the process. "When you enter high school, you can enroll in a hero school. That way you will be able to train to become a pro-hero!"

Tenko nodded with excitement and hope. I thought for several moments for a way a six year old and a five year old could manage to make money. At times like these I definitely missed my job before I had gone back in time. We definitely couldn't make money here in Shizuoka city. The police were on the hunt for me, and soon will be searching for Tenko. We would be found out immediately.

U.A. high school was located somewhere near Tokyo. If we made our way there, there would probably be plenty of job opportunities and we would already be close to the best hero school in Japan. How were we gonna get there? There had to be a couple of people traveling to Tokyo. Maybe they'd take sympathy from a couple of adorable little children.

I grabbed the red wagon that I had been using to pull Tenko around. "Hop in," I said. "We're heading to Tokyo!" Before I had gone back in time, I went to Tokyo often for my job. I'd connect with other social media managers there and attend special training sessions. I would like to say I knew my way around the city pretty well.

We weaved between alleyways and backstreets as I pulled him to the train station. During the walk we talked about heroes Tenko thought was cool. In passing he mentioned that his grandmother had been a pro hero. He had always aspired to be like her, but apparently his father hated heroes, and was firmly against Tenko becoming one or involving himself with them.

Once we made it, my plan was set into action. Looking for the perfect target, I eventually spotted them. An older couple. Turning to Tenko, I whispered, "Act pitiful. Old people love pitiful little children." Tenko nodded aggressively. He already was good at acting the part, his droopy, wild eyes and sickly looking skin. Not to mention the tiny scars on his face.

"Excuse me," I said as I approached the old couple, rounding up the most adorably sad voice I could muster.

The old lady immediately gasped, gripping her husband's shaky arm. "Oh my! What darling little children!"

"I'm Jikan-chan, and this is my little brother, Tenko-kun," I murmured, acting shy and fidgety. I kicked my barefoot on the ground. "We're heading to Tokyo!"

"Really? What for?" the lady asked with her quaky voice, bending down to be eye level with me.

"Well, our parents are supposed to meet us there," I explained. Did that even sound believable? It didn't, but apparently an endearing old lady found it so. "They gave us enough money to get there but," I pouted, pulling out the crumpled 100 yen I had in my pocket, "we forgot it at home. This is all we have left." I looked over at Tenko and he looked down, sitting in the red wagon solemnly. With my head turned away from the old couple, I gave Tenko an approving smile.

"That's awful!" the old lady's husband rasped. The old couple exchanged a few glances before the lady grasped my tiny hands. Something about the warmth we shared for that brief moment made me teary. If only I had hugged my mother and my sister a little longer.

"Jikan-chan, we can pay the fare for both of you, if you'd like," the old lady offered.

I immediately took up the offer. "Will you really! Thank you, grandma!" I rushed into her with a hug.

Tenko and I had safely arrived on the train. We had to leave our red wagon behind, and I tried to offer my 100 yen to the old couple, but they politely refused. Tenko and I sat across from them in a booth on the train. The elder man offered us lollipops to suck on as a treat. I didn't enjoy sweets that much, I often was on diets to keep a slim body before I regressed, and it didn't help much that the lollipop was an icky coffee flavor, but I took up the offer anyway. It was the least I could do to show my gratitude to them. I shoved the lollipop in my pocket for later.,

Not only had they paid for the train fare, they had bought the two of us matching red shoes for the gift shop at the station. My feet could finally escape the aching of walking barefoot for an entire day.

It was a bit exhilarating to be on this train. Never had I had such a tenacious and ambitious plan, and it was a rush to know that the first part of it was already working. I looked over at Tenko, with his lollipop hanging out the side of his mouth as he blankly stared out the window as landscapes rushed past. He was fidgeting with his gloves. He seemed to be deep in thought. That was dangerous. He might break out into an episode of some sorts.

I glanced over at the old couple. They were asleep. I then timidly tapped Tenko on the shoulder. He whipped around to look at me. His pupils were dilated and a small smile was edging on his face. My skin crawled as we held eye contact for several long moments. I finally spoke.

"Are you alright?" I barely let out. At times like these I wondered if it had been the wrong decision to take Tenko under my wing. Remember, this is for your sister. You're keeping her alive, I reminded myself.

He breathed heavily for several moments, audibly against the whir of the train. I held eye contact with him, trying not to look down at the gloves he was pulling at. If those came off, I would surely be done for.

Shakily and hesitantly, I reached out my hand, lightly placing it on Tenko's shoulder. "It's okay, it's over now. Just... breathe. Think about whatever makes you feel happiest," I whispered.

I could only imagine the scenes flashing through his mind right now. His entire family, dead, by his hands. In a way, it seemed worse than my own family being killed by somebody else. He may have to live with the guilt forever.

After a while, his breathing slowed and his face relaxed. I kept my hand on his shoulder. "That's it, slow and steady." I watched him with patience, trying to keep my hesitance hidden from my expression. Soon enough we'll be starting his new life. His past will be left behind and forgotten. Hopefully.