Chapter 30

Tenko gripped desperately onto my sleeves as he begged. "Please, all you have to do is ride on the train with me. After that you can go home!"

"I'm not walking you to school! You're a high school student now! Grow up!" I shouted back at him, holding a stern glare. Today was Tenko's first day of attending U.A. High. He was dressed in the school uniform, a gray suit with dark turquoise stripes of the collar and the sleeves, and dark turquoise pants. He wore a white dress shirt under the suit, finished off with a red tie.

I needed him to leave as soon as possible, because once he did, I would be gone. I was going to head back to my house in Shizuoka city. A part of me felt bad about abandoning Tenko without warning, but he was a grown high school student now and he had Father Chris. It could also do him some good to not always have me around. He had become too attached to me and it made me nervous.

"It's gonna be really embarrassing when you hold some random person's hand and have them walk you up to school," I pointed out, finally pushing him off me. He pouted and his head hung low. It made me giggle. I sure would miss him, but I missed my family a whole lot more. He was grown up now, he'd do fine.

Maybe Tenko would be sad for a couple of days, but he would grow out of it. I knew it. My gaze softened and I patted Tenko on the shoulders, causing him to look up at me. I pulled him in for a hug and he returned it. I held him a little tighter than I meant to, but this was goodbye.

"I'm gonna miss you," I murmured into his shoulder. Tenko in his uniform smelt nice.

"Miss me? You sound like you're never gonna see me again," Tenko chuckled, a hint of nervousness in his voice. I flinched before pulling away, gazing up at him.

"Just be good today, okay?" I murmured. "Prove to those students and teachers that you deserve to be the top of your class."

Tenko slowly nodded, tapping his chin. "I don't know... I think I need a little bit of motivation," he smiled cheekily.

I cleared my throat, looking away from his intense stare. "It'll make me really happy?" I offered. When I looked up to see his dissatisfied frown I sighed. "If you graduate from U.A. as a pro hero I'll grant you whatever wish you want. How magically motivational does that sound?"

A toothy smile split across his charmingly handsome face as he went down to hug me again. "Perfect," he murmured. I felt him press his face into my hair and inhale deeply and I shuddered, pushing him away with a shocked smile.

"What are you doing?!"

"Nothing, nothing." Tenko waved it off nonchalantly before grabbing his school bag. "Guess I'll be off then. See you after school!" he said as he walked out the door.

I didn't respond. I turned around to find Father Chris standing right below me and I nearly jumped out of my skin. "Father! Hey! You scared me," I gasped.

He cocked an eyebrow as he scanned me up and down. "You're acting very suspicious...," he accused.

I laughed slightly. "What makes you say that?" I asked through gritted teeth. I tried to shuffle around him, but he moved in front of my path, stopping me in my tracks.

"The way you're speaking to Tenko. You're normally a lot more cheery," he stated. "Not only that, but the stuffed full suitcase that is sitting on your bed is pretty odd."

My eyes widened. I had totally forgotten to hide it. "Oh, that old thing? I was just—..."

"Jikan, let's not do this now. All these years I've let you get by with your lies. It's turned out alright, but now I..." He trailed off, turning back to look at the direction of my room.

All these years Father Chris had taken care of Tenko and I unconditionally. I don't know if I would have gotten this far without him. He was a replacement for the father I never had. He deserved to know the truth.

I slowly nodded before waving a hand over at a pew. "Let's sit down... it's a long story."

We then sat and I told him everything. Absolutely everything. My quirk, how my sister died, how I went back in time to stop Shigaraki and raise him differently. About how Tenko killed his family, and even Nezumi-kun. About my contact with All for One. And about how I planned to leave today, and return to my family.

Father Chris had apparently known about the majority of my lies. Maybe not the truth, but he knew when something was wrong. Although, a lot of what I said shocked him.

Once I had finished telling him everything, I couldn't bite back. Tears rolled down my face and I cried heavy sobs. Curling into myself, Father Chris gently rubbed my back as we sat on the pews.

"As much as I don't want to believe you... it's hard not to. In a world full of quirks and unique powers, I could only imagine stuff like this happens all the time," he murmured as I tried to slow my breathing.

I rubbed my eyes with my palms. I think the magnitude of everything I had done up until this point finally crashed into me.

"I-I just—..." I hiccupped. "I wanna—..." I sniffed. "I wanna go home to my mom. She's supposed to die of cancer in a year, and I wanted to spend as much time as I can with her."

Tears clouding my vision, I looked over at Father Chris to see a concerned frown on his face. "You don't think Tenko might have a breakdown like he has in the past?" he asked quietly. His voice was sweet and warm, calming me down and easing my cries.

Before I spoke, I sat upright again, trying to adjust my slumped over posture. "I don't know. I just hope he's mature enough to realize he doesn't need me. He's a strong boy, he can figure things out on his own," I shrug.

Father Chris turns to hug me and I do the same. "So, you really are leaving?"

"Yes. I'm sure of it," I nodded confidently, wiping away the last of my tears as I pulled away.

"Jikan, just know, I'm very proud of you," Father Chris sincerely said as he looked up at me. I almost broke down crying again. Something about those words made me feel like everything I did wasn't for nothing. All the mistakes I made didn't define me. "If you're hurt or damaged, or ever just need a place to rest, I am right here waiting for you. The church's doors are always open."

I nodded firmly and then Father Chris solemnly hopped off the pew. "Would you like me to see you out?" he asked.

"Thank you, Father. Thank you for everything. Without you I don't know what I would've—..."

"It's alright, Jikan. You're like a daughter to me. There's nothing I wouldn't do for my daughter," he smiled up at me as I stood.

After that, I headed back to my room. I got dressed in a gray sweatshirt and sweatpants, grabbed my suitcase, and walked to the entryway, slipping on my shoes. I then turned to Father Chris who was watching me with a mature, all knowing look on his face.

"Please don't tell Tenko the truth. Tell him I went out for groceries and never came back or something like that... I'd rather him think I was dead than anything else," I said in a serious tone of voice.

Father Chris slowly nodded. "Travel safe, Jikan."

"I will. I'll miss you, Father." I took one last look around the chapel of the church, and then, I was off.