Chapter 12

It was a Sunday evening like any other. Father Chris, Tenko, and I were all enjoying another nice meal at the kitchen table. It was the holidays, a week after the new year, and Father had gifted me a phone for my birthday. In my opinion, twelve was young for a phone, but I figured he was willing to give it to me for my maturity. Tenko had thrown a fit about it though, he really wanted his own phone too. Father said he would give Tenko one if he was mature like me and Tenko immediately quieted down.

Before I regressed, Hana and I would often watch the news while we ate our daily meals together. Out of habit, I propped my phone up on a fruit bowl and the three of us had the news playing in the background while we chatted and ate.

Everything went silent though when I heard a familiar name and Tenko saw a familiar face on screen. "Today marks the death of Endeavor's first born son, Toya Todoroki."

I gasped, dropping the silverware I was using to eat on the floor. Father Chris frowned. "Maybe we should turn off the news. We shouldn't be hearing this sort of stuff during dinner."

"No," I whispered. "I know him. I need to watch." Father Chris looked at me with concern as a shocked look split across my face. But, he quieted down. Tenko and I peered at the tiny phone screen intently, the blue light illuminating our faces.

"Friends of the Todorokis have mentioned that Toya was always determined to become a pro hero, even against his family's wishes." I continued watching in silence as the news reporter spoke, unprepared for what would come next.

"Toya Todoroki had decided to train himself one winter evening at Seketo peak, and coincidentally lost control of his quirk, enveloping him in blue flames that reached a heat of two-thousand degrees celsius.

All that was recovered from Toya Todoroki's body was a detached jawbone. It is presumed that the heat of the fire completely incinerated him." Her voice sounded like an emotionless robot, as if it didn't occur to her that she was talking about such a tragic death.

The news reporter kept talking, but I didn't listen. Everything came rushing back. Before I regressed, this had happened previously. No wonder I never remembered much about Toya Todoroki.

But instead, this time, I felt as if it was my fault. He had done all this because he wanted to become a pro hero. He went to train alone at Seketo peak because he knew of his father's disapproval. And I... encouraged him to do it. If I had remembered, I could have stopped him.

I felt like throwing up. I pushed my plate of food away from myself before walking away. Somebody was calling after me, but I ignored them, blankly walking away. I walked to the front of the church, pulling on my coat and putting on my shoes. Tenko ran up to me and grabbed my wrist.

"Where are you going?" he nearly yelled. I looked back at him, trying to hold back the tears.

"I'm just going to stand outside for a minute. I need to be alone," I whispered. I was scared if I spoke any louder I'd start crying. I never cried in front of Tenko.

"Let me come with you!" Tenko insisted, his gloved hand still gripping my wrist firmly.

"No, please, Tenko. I just need to be alone." I pushed him off on me, and I looked away. I heard him yell in anger.

"Why are you pushing me away?! Why won't you let me help you! You help me all the time but when it comes to me helping you I feel useless! What's the big deal anyway? Why does it matter if a nobody like him died?!" Tenko shouted.

I looked at him, my eyes wide and my mouth twisted with disgust. "Don't talk like that! Somebody just died and you're acting like this?" I shivered. Tenko's face was contorted with rage. I saw the Shigaraki in him that night.