Chapter 24

Henshin-kun grabbed me by the strap of my backpack as I was about to go find Tenko and walk home from school. I turned towards him with a groan. "What do you want? It's not tutoring today, I've done all your homework so far, what is it?" I asked as I stared him up and down, shifting my weight impatiently.

"Jeez, don't you think you've been a little rude?" Henshin-kun said as he gave me an offended glance. "I really haven't been rude to you at all since you started helping me but you still treat me like this."

Maybe he was right. He wasn't treating me horribly, and I was only keeping my end of the favor when he asked me to do his homework. But I still held a grudge against his smoking habits, and the way he teased me about Tenko. Still, maybe I could be a little bit nicer.

My eyes drifted across the sky as I contemplated. We were standing outside the school entrance, and I was about to head around the back to the soccer fields where Tenko was. "Ahem, fine," I reluctantly cleared my throat. "Do you need something?"

Henshin-kun smiled with delight. "Yeah, I need a friend."

"A friend?"

"A friend!" he responded enthusiastically and I cocked an eyebrow suspiciously. "Y'know the Maki-san I mentioned when we were with Tanaka-sensei?" I slowly nodded as the memories recollected. "She's confronting me today about that whole... thing."

"I'm involved in this because...?"

"Maki-san is really scary. You might have seen her walking around the halls," he began motioning with his hands and body to describe her, "big, bulky, about twice your height?" A blurry image of the girl appeared in my mind. It was hard to pinpoint her because Maki-san was a third year, so I didn't see her that often.

"Anyways, I just need a friend to come with me. You don't have to do anything. All you have to do is be there as a witness in case Maki-san tries to pull anything," he quickly explained as he saw the look of disapproval creep on my face.

"Why should I do this? I've already done all your homework and stuff. I don't owe you anymore favors," I responded, wondering if Tenko was already out of soccer and looking for me.

"Then... how about I owe you a favor now? You're bullied because you're quirkless, right?" I had never told him anything about me being quirkless. Where'd he get that information? "I can stand up for you. A scary third year is enough to put your second year classmates in place. Especially Kizuato-san," he smirked knowingly.

I debated for several moments, looking at him, and back to the direction of the soccer field. I sighed. "Okay, okay. I'll go. But this isn't because we're friends, alright? It's for the favor!"

A wide smile appeared on his face. "Sure thing! Follow me. I'm meeting Maki-san at the market."

Rolling my eyes, I trailed behind him, pulling my phone out of my bag. I quickly texted Tenko. I wasn't going to keep secrets from him, but I wasn't gonna be so honest that it would make him worry either. 'Henshin-kun wants to go to the market with me so I agreed. I should be home no later than 7:00 p.m.! Sorry I couldn't come pick you up, you'll have to walk home by yourself today. I'll buy us icecream tomorrow, don't worry!' I texted before reading it over until I was satisfied. I noticed my phone was on low battery so I powered it off and shoved it back into my bag.

Our walk was mostly silent, which was unusual to me because Tenko and I would chat the day away wherever we walked together. A cleared my throat, trying to break the awkward air as I got Henshin-kun's attention.

"Ahem. I was wondering...," I slowly began, "When the teacher threatened to expel us, you said you wouldn't mind being kicked out of school anyway. So why don't you just quit?" Henshin-kun sideyed me suspiciously, but I held my gaze as I fell into step with him.