Chapter 25

The sun had now set, street lamps were turning on, illuminating the city sidewalks, and Henshin-kun and I were walking home.

"I live that way," I nodded further down the street. The church wasn't that far from the market. Tenko and I often walked over to the market whenever we were looking for something to do.

"My house is in that direction, too," he yawned, blinking sleep out of his eyes. "I'll walk you home. It's dangerous for a girl to be out at night alone."

I rolled my eyes. As much as I felt like I could protect myself, maybe he was right. Without my quirk I wasn't as powerful and confident as I was before. Whenever some creep was bothering me I'd just avoid them by going back a minute in time, but now that wasn't the case.

"Fine, fine. Do what you want," I waved him off. Really, Henshin-kun didn't bother me anymore. I felt a little closer to him than I had previously. Almost as if we were friends.

Eventually, the old structure of the church came into view and I walked up to it. Henshin-kun looked at me confused. "Are you religious or something?"

"No, this is my home," I stated with pleasure. "I live here with Tenko."

Henshin-kun blinked several times. "You live here with your boyfriend?"

"He's not my—...!"

I was cut off as I heard the doors of the church open behind me. Tenko stood at the entrance, light from the inside of the church shining from behind him. I couldn't see his face that well, as it was shadowed, but I could tell he was upset.

"Hi, Tenko! I'm home!" I smiled at him as he merely stared back. I exchanged a worried glance with Henshin-kun before turning back to Tenko. "What's wrong?"

"Didn't you see my texts?" he asked, barely in a whisper.

"Oh! I powered off my phone because it was on low battery. I guess I was just having so much fun I forgot to check it...," I said as I fumbled through my bag, searching for my phone.

"We were supposed to walk home together," he muttered, eyeing Henshin-kun.

Henshin-kun noticed the tension and began to walk away. "I should probably go..."

I shyly nodded at Henshin-kun. "Yeah. You're welcome, by the way!" I teased.

"I'll keep my end of the deal, don't worry," he laughed as he walked away from the church, towards his own home. I then turned towards Tenko to see he was staring dagger at Henshin-kun. I cleared my throat and began to walk inside.

"You want me to microwave some udon for you?" I asked

as I swiveled past him, our shoulders brushing as I made my way through the doorway.

Tenko silently followed after me. "I guess I'll just make it anyway," I muttered. We went into the back kitchen, Tenko taking a seat at the dinner table, and I put some udon in the microwave.

The whirring of the microwave was loud, filling the awkward silence of the room. I snuck a couple of glances at Tenko, but tried to keep my eyes glued on the microwave. He seemed very upset. For what, I didn't know. I walked home with him every single day. What was wrong with not walking home with him one of those days?

When I had finished microwaving mine and Tenko's udon, I set his udon in front of him and then sat down next to him with mine. Once I had sat down, he spoke. "Do you like Henshin-san more than me?"

I looked at him, bewildered. "Is that what you were worried about? Of course not!" I insisted, pressing my hand on his gloved hand that was laying on the table.

"You've been hanging out with him an awful lot lately," he muttered.

"That doesn't mean I like him more! He's just... Well, he's a friend, I guess. I've never really had any friends before so I've been hanging out with him a lot," I explained, stirring my udon with my chopsticks absentmindedly.

"You've never had any friends before?" Tenko scoffed. "What about me, where does that put me?"

"What?"

"This whole time I thought we were best friends but I guess I was wrong," he growled, pushing his udon away from him.

Lately, Tenko has been getting angrier and a lot easier. It concerned me. He wasn't becoming like Shigaraki, was he? "No! You are my best friend! It's just, I've been with you my whole life and I needed some school friends—..."

"You don't need any school friends! You have me! You've stopped sitting with me at lunch, every day after school when I'm at soccer you're with him, and today you just left without warning!" Tenko began to shout, standing up, slamming his palms on the table.

"Tenko! You're being unfair!" I shouted back, standing up as well. He really was being unfair. Originally I had thought his possessiveness was cute, but now he was just being ridiculous. I couldn't have any other friends besides him? That was too far.

"Every time I see you with him you treat him like an equal," Tenko rambled, stomping towards the exit of the kitchen. His crimson eyes were wild, just like they always were when he was going a little bit insane. "You laugh and joke with him. But when you're with me, you treat me like a child!"

"What do you mean—..."

"Don't act like I wouldn't notice!" he yelled at me, turning towards me. His hair was ruffled and his breath was uneven. I was frightened. "I get it, okay! You rescued me or whatever from what I did in the past, I get that. But, I'm sick of it, okay?!"

My eyes widened as I watched him glare at me. We stood, watching each other, for several moments of silence. Tenko's heavy breathing filled the room. "I'm going to bed," he finally sighed, turning around and heading to our bedroom.

I sat back down in my chair with a frustrated huff of air. Tenko was half right. I had treated him and seen him as a child. But that didn't mean I wasn't allowed to have friends.

Father Chris had only been gone for three days and I was already missing him. Where was he when you needed him? If he was here right now he'd probably have a solution to mine and Tenko's argument. I felt nervous going back into my bedroom with Tenko already there, so I grabbed a couple blankets and decided to sleep on the pews tonight.