Chapter 18

As everybody else dug into their pizza, Himiko-chan was turned in my direction, looking straight up at me. I tried not to look at her as I shakily reached for my pizza slice. Her yellow eyes glittered eerily.

Toga-san had seemed to spark some conversation with Tenko, so I set down my slice, wiped off my hands with a napkin, before turning to look back at Himiko-chan. "Why are you staring?" I whispered. "Aren't you hungry? How about you eat some of your food?"

"Ehe," she smiled. "I'm more curious about how your blood tastes." Shocked, I sat upright, my knees quickly banging up against the bottom of the table. It caused several pieces of silverware to jump and a loud noise of clattering. Tenko and Toga-san looked in my direction, concerned.

"Is everything alright?" Toga-san asked. I glanced at Himiko-chan. Her fangs seemed to sparkle menacingly. I was nervous if I said anything she would snatch my wrist and bite into it.

"Yeah, just... thought I saw a bug," I politely lied. Toga-san nodded and went back to talking to Tenko. Tenko looked uncomfortable. He wasn't the most social person when it came to people besides Father Chris and I, but he always dealt with it anyway.

Himiko-chan reached for my arm and pulled it away. "What are you doing?" I whispered, my eyes wide.

"I just want to hold your arm," the nine year old pouted innocently.

"But you just said you wondered how my blood tastes?" I shot back. Maybe Toga-san was right. Maybe her kid was insane.

"I only said I was wondering. Nothing more," she smoothed over. Even with her confident explanation, I still kept my arm out of her grasp. Her two blonde buns bounced as she turned back around to chomp into her food aggressively. I watched as cheese dripped out of the side of her mouth. Himiko-chan was a very sloppy eater.

My gaze shot back to Toga-san as she caught my attention. "What about you, Ushiromuki-san?" she had asked. Tenko and her were both looking at me expectantly.

"Hm, sorry, what was that?" I wasn't listening to their conversation before, as I was too busy dealing with Himiko-chan. I was slightly embarrassed that I wasn't prepared to answer her question.

"I was just talking to Shimura-san about his quirk. He told me about his decay quirk which sounded very interesting, so I was just wondering about what kind of quirk you had," she explained. Feeling comfortable with the level headed mother, I answered simply.

"I'm quirkless," I stated. Toga-san's eyes widened, as if she had asked an offensive question. Her question wasn't really offensive at all, at least to me.

"Oh! I'm sorry... I really didn't mean to—...," she began to apologize.

"It's fine," Tenko cut her off, "she honestly doesn't care. Quirks don't make a big difference to her at all." He said it matter-of-factly, as he picked up a slice of pizza and took a bite. Toga-san looked back at me with relief.

"I'm sorry. It's just that, the quirkless people I meet tend to get a lot more defensive these days about the topic than they used to. I didn't want to cause any trouble," she explained.

Quirks were generally new. The first quirk was only discovered a couple decades ago, when a baby in China was born emanating a bright light from his body. Since then, quirks have become more common throughout the generations. The population of people with quirks became greater than the population of people without them. Quirks became a part of the daily lifestyle.

People without quirks may be offended by questions about their quirks because it greatly affects their standing in life. Quirks help you get jobs easier if your quirk fits the requirement. They make you seem a bit more powerful than the person before you, depending on your type of quirk. People must not want to reveal that they were quirkless if it meant making others think less of them.

I partly agreed with them. People shouldn't be judged by power based on quirk. People shouldn't think less of me just because I don't have one. But, I still wasn't dramatic enough to get offended about being asked what kind of quirk I had.

Himiko-chan interrupted my thoughts. "Mama! I need to use the bathroom!" she whined, wiggling in her seat. Toga-san nodded and began to get up but Himiko-chan began whining again. "I want Jikan-chan to take me!" she cried.

My eyes widened. I couldn't take Himiko-chan, especially after what she said to me earlier. People from around the restaurant began to give me judging eyes again as Himiko-chan began throwing another fit. She wasn't my child! Why was everybody acting like I needed to take care of her?

Toga-san looked at me with pleading eyes and I felt like giving up. "Okay, Himiko-chan, I'll take you," I gave in. She seemed pleased with the way I called her by her first name as I scooted out of the booth.

"I'll go with you!" Tenko insisted, a look of concern on his face. "I also need to go." Himiko-chan shot him a glare, but I took up the offer immediately.

"Sure! Sorry to leave you alone, Toga-san," I apologized as Tenko also slid out of his side of the booth.

"No problem! You really have been such a huge help!" she smiled. In all honesty, Toga-san was a bit of a loser. She was making me do all her work. But then again, she probably was relieved to have such a crazy child taken off her hands.

Before we began walking to the bathroom, I felt Himiko-chan tug on my skirt. I looked down at her to see her holding out her hand. She wanted me to hold it. I went to hold it with my right hand and immediately I felt another gloved hand grip my left. It was Tenko.

I looked over at him to see him looking away, a blushed scowl on his face. Whenever I gave attention to anyone else he always acted a little childish like this. It was quite cute.

The three of us then exited the pizza place, hand in hand as we made our way to the mall's bathroom. I was yet to see the menacing look on Himiko-chan's face, as her fingernails dug lightly into my palm.

___________________

Hello~!

So far there has been daily updates. That is because I have been on winter break. But, I am starting up school again soon so I am going to be more busy and have less time to write this story.

Updates may be more spaced apart, or more chapters will be shorter.

But, don't worry! By spaced apart I mean two or three days. I am a very frequent updater and I will stay faithful to this story.

Also, apologies for this chapter being super short as well. Next chapter is going to be eventful so I wanted to leave a lot of space for it. >:)

Stay tuned and thank you for reading!

~littlesharpsword