25

The whistle blew and Maicon was starting for Brasil instead of Dani for some reason. Both teams were full of energy and after the ball straight away. Both had the desire to win so I knew it would be tough.

I sat on the sidelines, biting my nails as I watched everything unfold before me.

Neymar got given a corner and I saw him bless himself before running up to the ball. He lifted it, curling it towards the goal. Thiago ran from Carlos Sanchez, who was desperately trying to stay in front of him. It was useless as Silva got around his body and kicked the ball into the back of the net.

I stood up from my seat and cheered loudly, along with everyone else in the stadium as Neymar and Silva ran, embracing each other as the rest of the team jumped on top of them. We were already in the lead, seven minutes in.

The game moved fast, back and forth to each end of the pitch as it seemed both teams had equal possession. It was the 37th minute and I sat watching in suspense as Rodriguez took a free kick for Colombia. Our defence pulled through as the boys managed to block the shot. I was shouting to them my encouragement, even though it would be impossible to hear me.

They played until the whistle for half time blew and they approached the tunnel. Being the physiotherapist, I was classed as the team's crew so was able to follow them in. Neymar waited at the entrance for me, whilst the rest of the boys walked ahead in high spirits.

He hugged me tightly, rocking side to side as I laughed.
"You smell horrible!"
He pulled his head back and looked at me, "Thank you so much!"
I laughed again, pushing him playfully before we walked down the tunnel together, his arm draped over my shoulder. Once we reached the changing rooms, I gave him a kiss and left him to talk with Scolari and the team.

Not long after, music was playing and the teams came out the tunnel, jogging slightly and waving to a few fans stood near them. They got into position and started playing.

The referee didn't seem to be calling anything but I wasn't complaining as Luiz tripped Ramos but didn't earn a card. However, I went back on my thought when Neymar got barged over by Cuadrado and nothing was called. He winced as he got up, limping slightly but walking it off as he jogged to catch up with the game.

Silva, being stupid, decided to block Ospina's goal kick, earning himself the first yellow card of the match. I held my head in frustration. If we were to win, this meant he wouldn't be playing in the semifinals.

Rodriguez fouled Luiz and a free kick was given. Everyone in the stadium was stamping their feet in synch, creating a build up as he ran up to the ball. Cheers erupted around me as I blinked and we had scored. They all celebrated before playing again.

The ball came at Neymar from a height. He took a step back to get a good touch on it when Zuniga jumped, plunging his knee deep into his back. Ney dropped to the floor, rolling around in agony. I stood up, immediately knowing something was wrong but everyone around me assured me he was being dramatic as usual, to try and get a chance at the goal.

"Scolari, somethings not right," I said quite calmly, trying to keep my voice steady as after minutes passed he still wasn't getting up.
"It's fine, Amelia. Sit down."
"He's not fine!" I shouted, throwing my hands up. Everyone seemed to be ignoring him, letting the game continue.

I watched as Marcelo finally approached him, crouching next to him. They exchanged a few words and he stood up, waving his hands about. Only then did paramedics decide to jog onto the pitch with a stretcher and I turned around, not wanting to watch.

"Let me go to him!" I pleaded with coach as tears threatened my eyes.
"You're not allowed on the pitch Amelia. Now please, sit down!" he rubbed his temple as he spoke and I could no longer hold in my tears as many flowed down my cheeks.
Everyone was crowded around him. The subs that were sat with me on the bench were allowed to run on and check what was going on but I wasn't since I wasn't a player.

The paramedics kneeled down next to him and asked him a few questions. I could see him shouting but I was too far to hear. They lifted him up and onto the stretcher and that's when I could hear his cries of pain.
"Não consigo sentir minhas pernas!" he repeated over and over that he couldn't feel his legs. I could barely even see as my eyes were blurry from tears but I could make out them running with him towards the tunnel.

I pushed past many people and workers as I sped through them to reach the tunnel. I wiped my tears but it was no use as I broke down when I heard him asking for me.
"Amelia! Onde está Amelia?"
"I'm here Ney, I'm here," I held his hand in mine as they continued to walk him to the exit where an ambulance was already waiting for him.

They went through the big van doors and placed the stretcher next to the bed before untying the safety straps and lifting him onto it. He screamed again as his back hit the mattress and I winced looking away. I couldn't see him like this.

"Linda, você está bem?" he paused between words, trying to act as if he was fine but I could see straight through it.
"Am I okay?" I repeated laughing dryly as a poor attempt to cover my panic, "You're in a fucking ambulance Neymar. Are you okay?"
"Obviously not, smart guy," he smirked and started to laugh but immediately scrunched his eyes up in pain.

"Just stop talking. Everything's gonna be alright," I held his hand again once the nurse had stopped checking him over and was now typing things in on her computer as we drove, "I love you."
"Eu te amo mais," he squeezed my hand but I was too scared to hurt him so didn't do it back.

When we arrived at the hospital he was taken into a separate room and I was forced to wait in the lobby but managed to escape the arms of a security guard and was now in the corridor outside his room, pacing. I looked up when I heard the door open and saw a doctor heading towards me with a solemn look on his face.

"No! I don't want to hear any bad news! He's okay, right? He's Neymar, he'll be fine! Right?" I was going crazy with my panic and so the doctor put an arm on my shoulder to stop me from walking up and down.
"Is his family here?" he asked me.
"They're on their way. But I'm basically his family, please. Please just tell me he's okay," I begged him.
"It's too soon to tell. I'm sorry miss," he patted my back and walked off with his clipboard to another room.

I sat on the floor with my back up against the wall. Too soon to tell? He had to be okay. He is okay, he's fine. I got up and walked to the vending machines downstairs as I repeatedly lied to myself in my head. I felt my phone ringing, bringing me back to reality.

I answered it and heard Rafa's hysteric voice.
"Pai's parking, is he okay?"
I sniffed, trying to keep my voice steady, "Too soon to tell."
Repeating the words out loud just made it all the more real and I started to cry again.
"What floor is he on?"
"3, down the left," I answered with almost no emotion in my voice as I took a deep breath.

She hung up and I walked to his door, sitting down again and hugging my knees. I probably could've gone in and seen him. I wasn't meant to but all the doctors were gone. But did I really want to see him with loads of tubes up his nose and barely breathing? Did I want to face the problem or hide from it, pretending it was all a dream? He was Neymar, he had to be okay. I couldn't get rid of him if I tried. Right?