38

"Hello?" I heard his raspy voice on the other end of the phone. I must've woken him up.
I took a deep breath before talking, "Sorry, where you asleep?"

"Amelia?" I heard movement and imagined him sitting up against his headboard with the stupid look he always had on his face when he didn't understand something, "Are you okay?"

"Erm honestly, not really," I laughed so I wouldn't start crying again, "I'm sort of stranded and had way too many drinks to even think straight."
I heard his pretty laugh, "I can tell. You're calling me."
I rolled my eyes, "I couldn't remember anybody else's number. My phone died, I'm on a pay phone."

"Do you know where abouts you are?" I could hear keys on his side of the phone and knew he must've been by his door.
"No it's fine. I was wondering if you could just like call me a cab or something. Or call Ant or Shakira. I don't know if I can deal with facing you tonight," I laughed even though there was no joy backing it.
"Don't be stupid Amelia. I'm coming to get you, it's late," A door slammed and I knew it was his front one.

"What exactly is the time?" I asked, realising I had been here a while.
"Almost three am, you idiot."
"Don't call me an idiot. We aren't friends again, I needed help and you just happened to be the person who's giving it. This doesn't mean anything. Okay?" I stressed as I felt more tears coming. I was always an emotional wreck after I had a few drinks down me.

"Okay, I'm sorry prin- Amelia."
My heart ached at the old nickname and the tears fell down my cheeks again, except this time they were silent.

I gave him the name of the shop I was standing outside of, in just enough time before the call beeped, signalling I had to put more money in for a longer one. I sighed, laying down on the bench and letting the alcohol consume me, drifting off to sleep.

———

I woke up to somebody touching my leg, "Get the fuck off me!" I scooted away from them, rubbing my eyes and realising who it was, "Oh."

Neymar scratched the back of his neck awkwardly, "Sorry I thought you had passed out. I was going to carry you to the car."
"It's okay," I blanked the hand he held out and got up myself.
He didn't seem too disheartened by it as he carried on talking, "You have your own place now right? Do you want me to drop you there?"

I wondered if Correa would be there with them girls since he had packed his things and checked out of the hotel earlier today. Did I want to risk it?

We got into the car without me answering his question and warmth instantly fell over me as he had left the car running with the heating on.
"Here," he passed me the hoodie he was previously wearing and I reluctantly took it, seeing as I was in a tiny dress and was freezing.
"Thanks," I said dryly.

There was an awkward silence for a moment and for some reason I felt different. The security and safety that I once felt with him were gone. I didn't feel safe and all I wanted was for Correa to come running round the corner.

"Where's your boyfriend?" Neymar asked me. Usually there'd be more spite in his voice but he looked genuinely concerned.
"He's not my boyfriend."
"You broke up?" he raised his eyebrows in shock and looked at me sympathetically rather than smugly which is what I would've expected.

"We were never together," I said, blinking a few times so I wouldn't cry again.
"Oh. I could've sworn he liked you," he shrugged.
"No he acts like that with everybody. Of course, I'm no different am I? Any other girl can just walk along and replace me can't they?" I don't know why I was opening up to Neymar, it was mostly the alcohol talking and the fact I'm on my period probably didn't make me any less dramatic.

"Amelia don't talk like that. You know no one can replace you," he said, causing me to laugh.
"No! All you guys are the fucking same! And you know what? I'm done! I'm so fucking done! You say all this shit to impress the girl and you're all nice to her at first but then you start taking her for granted and fucking about because your life's boring and you want some drama! No girl deserves that! When will guys our age just man up and sort themselves out? Honestly, I'm considering becoming a lesbian at this point because I cannot be dealing with this shit!" My voice was raised and I could tell he was holding in a laugh at my dramatics.

"Don't you dare fucking laugh at me Junior," I pointed a finger in his face, "I might've had one too many but I'll still have enough coordination to slap you hard in the face!"
"Only one too many?" he questioned with a smile on his face, but my mood had already changed again as tears threatened my eyes for the millionth time tonight.

"Why doesn't anyone want to treat me right? Am I not worth it?" I wasn't particularly asking him as my voice came out in a whisper but he heard nonetheless and wrapped an arm around me as tears started to fall.

"You're more than worth it Amelia. Don't let my stupidity fuck with your perception of yourself because you're still the amazing girl I fell in love with.
I don't know what's wrong with Correa and half of me wants to find him and beat the shit out of him for leaving you here at this time but trust me, whatever he's done or is doing, he's regretting it," he wiped my tears with his thumb and I leant my head onto his shoulder.

"All this time we've spent apart, there hasn't been a day when you weren't on my mind. As bad as it sounds I think I needed this. I needed this to be a kick up the arse, telling me I needed to step up. Living without you has proved to me that I need you in my life to keep me from going insane," he paused, almost as if he was looking for the right words, "The world keeps moving so fast but whenever I was with you it felt like our own little bubble... like time had stopped and I could just relax. I miss you. I miss us. I know I fucked it bad but I'll do anything to prove to you that I can be worthy of your love again. I'll do anything."

He kissed my forehead before leaning back into his chair and focusing his glossy eyes on to the road as he pulled off from the curb. I leant my head on the window, not bothering to wipe my tears and letting them gather on my chin.

"Just because you didn't deserve my love doesn't mean it wasn't there," my words came out hoarse due to my crying and tiredness. He smiled at me sadly and I let my eyelids droop shut.

———
// i feel like i'm not getting as many reads as i used to so pls let me know if there's anything i can do to make things more interesting or if something keeps happening which u find annoying i won't take any offense id rather that ik so i can change it and u guys can enjoy the book more <3